Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bayonet socket not "deep enough"

Options
  • 22-12-2018 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭

I have a porch light that came with the house and it's a bayonet socket.

For whatever reason, the copper grip ring seems to be too low so that I can't get bulbs to screw in.

Is it possible to pull up the ring, or something? Maybe stick a screwdriver in there to bend it up a little?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

mrcheez wrote:
    For whatever reason, the copper grip ring seems to be too low so that I can't get bulbs to screw in.

Well is it a bayonet or screw unit?

You are describing two different things .

However if you mean bayonet lamp too then it's best to replace the connectors. Very easy and inexpensive, power down etc.

Sometimes you can bend out the tag that holds the lamp if it's bent, but it's generally not a good idea to try to repair a connection that was damaged by someone muleing the wrong lamp into a lamp holder. (Not you I assume)

Replace not repair here imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It's bayonet as mentioned in OP. You screw both types in.

Anyway I managed to sort it by lifting the tags slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

mrcheez wrote:
    It's bayonet as mentioned in OP. You screw both types in.

I read the OP

You don't screw in a bayonet lamp, you twist it, like a bayonet, knit picking aside the problem could easily be caused by someone not knowing the difference.

It's actually pretty impossible to mix them up. I don't imagine someone trying to screw in an Edison into a Bayonet socket.

You screw in both, but depends on how pedantic you want to be regarding how many turns it takes before you consider it a "screw" motion :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

mrcheez wrote: »
    It's actually pretty impossible to mix them up. I don't imagine someone trying to screw in an Edison into a Bayonet socket.

Clearly you have not met my mother :):D
    You screw in both

I disagree, but that is just my opinion.

• Advertisement

Screw is a synonym of turn / twist / spin / rotate

"How many X does it take to twist in a lightbulb" just doesn't have the same ring to it :)

Lightbulbs are screwed in :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

mrcheez wrote: »
    "How many X does it take to twist in a lightbulb" just doesn't have the same ring to it :)

I think you will find that the expression is “How many x does it take to change a light bulb”.

Advertisement