Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone line down, wiring to socket ?

• 22-12-2018 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

My sister was painting the room in our house where the phone socket is and pulled the wires out by accident , according to vodafone there's nothing they can do and it's down to us to fix it (fantastic company by the way)

so i'm trying to wire it back up, the phone cable is a standard POTS with 4 wires within the cable yellow black green and red, i have stripped it all back with snips and tried using a wire cutter to strip back the green and red wiring but it isn't a solid connection and is stranded so when i connect it back in it causes noise on the line. does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

You might ask a mod to move this to broadband forum to get more responses.

Can you tell from either the cable or socket which colors were connected before being pulled?

Only 2 of the 4 are used, so try each pair combination until you get a dialtone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Edit, quoted second post by accident, am obviously intending to reply to OP.

Is it just phone service you're trying to restore? The setup should be : socket on wall with wires in the back of it. It should be extremely difficult to dislodge those. Then there's a cable with plugs on either end. One end is plugged into the phone (or modem...), and the other end plugs into aforementioned socket. So, I suspect the cable was pulled from the plug, rather than the socket. Which further suggests the plug was left plugged into the socket, and your attempting to put the wires back into it. Replacement cables, with plugs attached are cheap enough, from Woodies, B&Q etc, or even Tesco.

I'm sorry if the above looks condescending, but I'm trying to be as descriptive as possible. The fix should be easy enough. Come back if you're still stuck.

Advertisement