Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day of Irish PB's - July 14th, 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

A quick update.

We are down to less than 30 singlet entry options. In order to be fair, we have now a 15 euro entry option minus the singlet. Entry still includes beer, kids' entry etc.....

It will be great to have as many kids races as possible......we will even reward with a small something for their efforts! Entry to that is free, with a donation (100%) going to Barretstown of roughly 5 euro suggested.

Beer order going in. Now we are talking!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Really looking forward to it - I know a good few people who have signed up.

Just wondering, do you know who's pacing each time band yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

how young under 10 can they be?

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Really looking forward to it - I know a good few people who have signed up.

Just wondering, do you know who's pacing each time band yet?

In the process of finalising that as I type! I'll have a complete picture very soon.

Our 2018 30min pacer is now our 25 minute pacer for 2019.......that is one certainty (hoefully he does a better job! Haha)

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    how young under 10 can they be?

That's an interesting question. The distance is short so I think we will leave the most knowledgeable persons - the parents - make the call on that.

Really hoping to have as many kids to run as possible. It will be a great way to introduce them to running and to track. More the better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

That's an interesting question. The distance is short so I think we will leave the most knowledgeable persons - the parents - make the call on that.

Really hoping to have as many kids to run as possible. It will be a great way to introduce them to running and to track. More the better!

You’ll probably have a few parents running with their young kids and losing to them at the end. The smiles from the kids should be good as they beat their parents. After or before their 5km

Should be free now to do it. I’ve last year singlet that can be reused if I miss out on singlet.

Race Week!

The OFFICIAL TIMETABLE is now pubished. It's getting close!!

TIMETABLE.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Just checking my e ticket there. It says I'm registered for the mile but it doesn't differentiate which one. Is it a case of selecting on the day?

Just checking my e ticket there. It says I'm registered for the mile but it doesn't differentiate which one. Is it a case of selecting on the day?

Exactly.

All that info will be published tomorrow (I better get typing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Trampas

Exactly.

All that info will be published tomorrow (I better get typing!)

Just get the beautiful assist. He can keep it simple. 12.5 laps or 4 laps and cheerio as kids present with your beer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Omeceron

Is it possible to sign up on the day?

Trampas wrote: »
    Just get the beautiful assist. He can keep it simple. 12.5 laps or 4 laps and cheerio as kids present with your beer

You are hired!

Omeceron wrote: »
    Is it possible to sign up on the day?

Of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

Daft question probably, but I'd assume there'll be changing facilities and showers available?

Good jib! wrote: »
    Daft question probably, but I'd assume there'll be changing facilities and showers available?

We are right beside the Leixlip Amenities Centre for showers. There are toilets for changing on site - hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Will it be possible to change race? Move from a slower race to a quicker one?

Will it be possible to change race? Move from a slower race to a quicker one?

No problem - races are capped at certain level to allow some transfers.

No problem - races are capped at certain level to allow some transfers.

Thanks. Looking forward to Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Probably a silly question but is there a warm up area within the grounds?

Lazare wrote: »
    Probably a silly question but is there a warm up area within the grounds?

Plenty of good roads and canal. Asides from that, lane 5 out is good (just don't run in the inner lanes!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

This event certainly gets the weather anyway.

Great atmosphere here. So good cheering others on while you wait for your race.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

Enjoyed the atmosphere of the day. It was a different experience, particularly doing circuits around the track. Not something you get to do often. Weather was bloody warm, even if it did disappear at times and a bit of a breeze down the back straight during the 3:00pm race.

Tell you what, I have to say that racing around in circles presents a different mental challenge. There was a hint of temptation to come to a stop, particularly as the separation grew. Avoided it, but I could see where the temptation could be there. The second challenge of the day was definitely racing in the afternoon. I ended up spending the morning in Liffey Valley with the missus and baby to kill time while we waited this morning. Throws the usual pre-race routine out the window!

But as I said at the start, it was an enjoyable atmosphere. Lovely to see the support of fellow runners. The nice weather how people out laying about on the grass (hindsight, should have brought a mat for the wife and child) and I enjoyed the post race banter with a few of those in the running group.

For myself, I did get my PB. Came in at 20:43 while running in the 20 minute group. Bit of a flight of fancy that really, I suppose. I had signed up when there was no mention of a 21 minute group. Granted, I could of changed but what I can say... ego kicked in a little with wanting to push myself above and beyond!! It was tough going. But that effort was an improvement of about 7 seconds from my previous best. In that heat though, I'm delighted with that effort.

All credit to the organisation of the day. I can't imagine how hard it is to ensure a day with so many different races and such goes off without a hitch. Everything I observed went on time and went smoothly. Again, the atmosphere was warm and homely and the weather, while not great for running, was great for getting people out. Would definitely be an event I'd consider doing again down the line. Intend to wear that singlet with pride and about to crack open that beer now in a few minutes once the baby is settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Thanks for organising this. Smashing weather too.

Got my PB in the mile too! Although I didn't get my main target, a PB is a PB :D

Well done all involved with this event. Great day. Well organised. See you next year. I enjoyed my pb muffin.

This was a fantastic event, a runners event.

Will never miss this.

Beer was a great touch too, and tasty.

Didn't pb, but may as well have. Great job all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

+1
    Great that everything ran so smoothly, and the amount of nourishment and refreshment on noffer was impressive. I thought the track was in good shape too. One or two erratic pacers but it wasn’t an issue for me. Well done DR et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Great event and set up, brilliant atmosphere too. Please keep the mile for next year :)

Well done to all involved.

A huge thank you to all!

Another fantastic year in Costa Del Leixlip!

In Ireland, there are literally hundreds of 5km and 10km offerings, with 10-12 truly being top level races in terms of organisation and fields. It is a very crowded marketplace (fixture congestion being a key issue, unfortunately).

We have never tried to reinvent the wheel. I see a disconnect between track and road running - why shouldn't track be as inclusive as road running? I see a certain reluctance within a large cohort of the running population to engage in track running. We simply try to bridge that gap (and have a lot of fun along the way!)

It was a pleasure to be there yesterday. In saying that, it was huge challenge to market the event. While far from perfect - and far from where I want it to be - I think most people had a great time. On a personal note - it is with great pride that EVERY race went off exactly on time (to the literal second, in fact)

Thanks again to all - it is your event, not ours. While I think it may be the event Ireland needs, only time will tell if it is the event Ireland wants.

Thanks again for all the support.

P.S The beer was delicious......and the muffin!

• Advertisement

Are there any pics or vids up anywhere?

Advertisement