Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018/2019 **warning in OP 24/2/19**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

some pretty over the top gushing praise imo, this Cardiff side are pretty bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Over the top me bollox.

We went away from home and destroyed a team in the premier league.

That doesnt happen to often

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

I'm not a Utd fan, but that's a very impressive result no matter what way you look at it.
    Everything recently had become miserable & today was a breath of fresh air for Utd fans.
    Was impressed with the speed they moved the ball today, one touch & move. Lots of games recently there didn't appear to be any patterns of play on view.

I guess from any supporter's pov, when you've day through dross consistently, you've got to be delighted when at last you enjoy watching your team

New manager bounce. A phenomenon in football since before the age of sky

Well its been statistical proved wrong or at best neutral so no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Well its been statistical proved wrong or at best neutral so no

Well statistic aside you must admit it's a sad state affairs when the mighty united are celebrating a victory over Cardiff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I missed match of day anything interesting on utd?

Well statistic aside you must admit it's a sad state affairs when the mighty united are celebrating a victory over Cardiff

If people were to stop celebrating victories there'd be no point in supporting a football team.

Is it wrong to be happy with a win, a good performance and a higher quality of attacking and entertaining play?

The only thing sad about what you say is that you seem to imply its bad united fans got enjoyment from todays win, hopefully its onwards and upwards from here but if its not it was great to see the performance and result today

Headshot wrote: »

I seen it besides the team looking much better in general in the highlights

They mentioned more forward passes than usual and that we out ran the opposition today for the first time this season

Generally just bland motd analysis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

If people were to stop celebrating victories there'd be no point in supporting a football team.

Is it wrong to be happy with a win, a good performance and a higher quality of attacking and entertaining play?

The only thing sad about what you say is that you seem to imply its bad united fans got enjoyment from todays win, hopefully its onwards and upwards from here but if its not it was great to see the performance and result today

It's embarrassing. You beat Cardiff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Why are you embarrassed Simon, you are a Liverpool fan so I'd have thought with the fine form of the team you support that mid table teams are of no concern to you, never mind that you feel embarrassed. Is there something else upsetting you that you need to share with the group?

astradave wrote: »
    To add to this, we beat Fulham with a 45 min performance, we reverted to type in the second half.

Absolutely. It's mad. The very same happened the last time Jose faced Raneiri in the PL. It was United 4 - 1 Leicester back in September 2016, a result down to a strong first-half performance from United, and a snorefest in the second half. I was at that game, much brighter and more promising days for Mourinho. Raneiri took Vardy and Drinkwater off at half-time to preserve them for CL mid-week, such was the finality of the result at 45 minutes.

Whatever arrangement Jose has with Raneiri, that 4-1 result a few weeks ago to Fulham was almost as surprising as the 5-1 yesterday. Totally against the grain of how our season has been going. The goals were just drying up under Jose, far from the days of '4-0 F.C.' in the early stages of last season.
    Headshot wrote: »

Not really. Shearer and Wright talking about the United way, and how Jose had to go because it reached breaking point, and you just can't sack all of the players when that happens. Probably the most interesting thing I heard were the few bits Rooney had to say on BT post-match. Whether he should be saying them or not is another story. From 6:25 in this video...

To be honest lads, we might be celebrating as fans, but the ones who are blowing it way out of proportion are the mainstream media. The BT commentary guys wetting themselves during the game about 'the United of old' and 'the United way', and 'the shackles are truly off now'...'the players are finally playing with freedom'...'we all knew there was more to be had from this Manchester United squad'.

If I was Jose Mourinho, I'd feel a bit of a disservice at a lot of the coverage I'm getting. They are portraying Ole as the hero who freed the innocent children from evil Fritzel's basement.

If anyone is jumping the gun and leading the 'United are back' narrative, it's the mainstream media so far. I'd guess that's because it's a lot easier to write and sell headlines which talk about 'The Return of the United Way' alongside a photo of Mike Phelan cheering on the sideline, than it is to sell 'Man United in impressive win...but we can't really tell you anything conclusive for at least 10 games'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

You know what Simon? I agree....it's embarrassing we've been this bad we are celebrating a result against a Cardiff team who won three games on the trot at home. It's embarrassing fans are getting excited at the prospect of United actually caring during matches. It's embarrassing having a manager who doesn't want to play defensive and lets players do what they are paid to do....play. It's embarrassing that the players seemed like they were up for the fight compared to the way it's been this season.

Ye guys are top of the league at Christmas, and deservedly so. I said as much to my housemate during the week, before the results fell the way they did the last 36 hours. However, we're not celebrating beating a team. We're celebrating how it was done, the way we played, some of the amazing moments in that match. Go back to your Liverpool thread and circle jerk each other about Klopp (who is also a great manager). But stay the fcuk outta here with that nonsense. I'm embarrassed for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

2 out of 10 for that one. Way too obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Why don't you toddle back to where you came from , stick the oul video player on and watch the last Liverpool won a trophy video... again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Not as embarrassing as celebrating a draw at home against the mighty West Brom as if ye won the league.

https://youtu.be/BFfrMV-44JQ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Not as embarrassing as celebrating a draw at home against the mighty West Brom as if ye won the league.

This is the funny thing about it. In context of our season yesterday was a good game for a number of reasons same as that day was good for Liverpool.

No one to do with United are under any illusions but when you have a season been setup with 7 defenders against bottom clubs yesterday was a positive change.

Challenge is for everyone to keep it going now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Rossi IRL wrote: »

B717nwQCAAA-9Ky.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Is the United game on tv in UK or Ireland on 26th? Or maybe needs other means to see it maybe...

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Is the United game on tv in UK or Ireland on 26th? Or maybe needs other means to see it maybe...

Ain't on TV anyway

Sky showing 2 championship games and bt showing a Scottish league game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Just watched the repeat of MOTD. Enjoyable game, Cardiff aren't great by any means but to score 5 and only concede a penalty, regardless of the opposition, you have to be happy with that. Shearer nailed it saying that the players had stopped running for JM which they had but ultimately he had to go. I still think there is a slim chance of top 4 but there is no real margin for error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Looking back over the last few posts, it's funny how these fellas who have an account for a decade and barely post suddenly appear when their team is top of the table.;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sooooooo weird you feel the need to have to wander in here and tell them that tbh.

I know which part of the equation I find more embarrassing ;)

Looking back over the last few posts, it's funny how these fellas who have an account for a decade and barely post suddenly appear when their team is top of the table.;)

It works the other way in here.. lads with accounts for 10 years but when things are going bad they suddenly on here posting every day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

The fact you are a pool fan salty because we hammered Cardiff is delicious

Yum yum yum salty tears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Necro wrote: »
    Sooooooo weird you feel the need to have to wander in here and tell them that tbh.

I know which part of the equation I find more embarrassing ;)

I like you :D

I like you :D

Dave and Necro up a tree...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Top of the table lads, just don’t let it slip!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

There’s a lot to enjoy about that win, but there are so many questions that come from it. I’m not going to spoil the mood by going into it, but there’s a lot of that concerns me but maybe it’s best we just see how this plays out this season. The club better still start putting in place the football structures it needs. This is similar to England fumbling into hiring southgate cause their first choice, Allardyce , self destructed, this isn’t part of any great plan!

Sort of felt like a release of months of pent up anger/frustration so will be interesting to see if they can maintain the enthusiasm. Also interesting to see how they fair against a stronger defence and how they react to going a goal down. A similar hammering in the next two games could actually bring the fear factor back to the club which would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

secman wrote:
    Why don't you toddle back to where you came from , stick the oul video player on and watch the last Liverpool won a trophy video... again

He'd have to use Betamax would he not ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rumours that garner, Gomes, greenwood and chong have been given lockers in the first team changing rooms and are now considered senior squad members.

Would be great if it's true, a great show if faith and a real statement between Solskjaer and Butt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

Just watching MOTD again here and gearing up for Sunday Supplement.

It’s not the win that’s so satisfying, it was the manner in which we won, the fact that for the first time this season we outran the opposition, and the threat that our fullbacks posed.

There is such thing as “the United way” and it wasn’t Jose’s way. I wish him well but he was not the right fit.

Glory Glory Man United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Rumours that garner, Gomes, greenwood and chong have been given lockers in the first team changing rooms and are now considered senior squad members.

Would be great if it's true, a great show if faith and a real statement between Solskjaer and Butt.

The need for a decent RW is there and if there is no funds being for Jan as reported I'd like to see Chong being given a chance, while Jesse was there yesterday looking at his positional map he spent the majority of the game inside and Young was effectively the RW

https://twitter.com/BetweenThePosts/status/1076569667781697537?s=09

He'd have to use Betamax would he not ??

nah, go to the cinema to watch one of them Pathé newsreels

. Shearer nailed it saying that the players had stopped running for JM which they had but ultimately he had to go.

Rooney touched on it after the game but it might make sense as to how they ran more yesterday.

Rooney said that Mourihno set his teams up so that the 2 fullbacks were suppose to stay close to the center backs and then he would have 2 midfielders staying in front of the defence. Leaving only 3-4 players to do all the attack.

Yesterday we seen full backs bombing on and fluid attacks where there was 7-8 players getting involved.

We also seen good pressing.

All that can add to the distance covered stat.

There is such thing as “the United way”

There really isn't.

It was romantic nonsense when pool fans went around saying it for twenty years, and it remains so now that united fans are spouting the same nonsense.

Being down to the players just not working for Jose would indicate Jose should have been sacked a year ago, as the general set up and approach this season is the same as we've seen for 2 years.
    Jose's tactics had us defensive and Conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Andrew Beef

There is such thing as “the United way”

There really isn't.

It was romantic nonsense when pool fans went around saying it for twenty years, and it remains so now that united fans are spouting the same nonsense.

There is actually.

Playing attacking football, with wide players and a desire to bring on youth.

Treating all of the staff from your assistant right down to the cleaners as part of the family.

Behaving with dignity.

Wearing a suit.

Culture is a huge thing in most successful organisations.

Ole and Phelan are superb interim appointments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Lads, im not one for hyperbole, but i think after beating Cardiff 5-1 yesterday we are absolutley going to win the Champions League!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

A positive day, a great result for Ole. No complaints

Do I trust these lads to keep this up and against opposition that aren’t Cardiff? Not on your life, we will have to wait and see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

A positive day, a great result for Ole. No complaints

Do I trust these lads to keep this up and against opposition that aren’t Cardiff? Not on your life, we will have to wait and see

No complaints followed by a complaint.

I thought I’d be catching up on hundreds of posts. I guess everyone was out enjoying themselves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I thought Rooney mentioning what it was like to play under Jose, with his requests about full backs staying near defenders and two holding midfield players, how the team was left with only a few people attacking would return some credit to the players.

DM_7 wrote: »
    I thought Rooney mentioning what it was like to play under Jose, with his requests about full backs staying near defenders and two holding midfield players, how the team was left with only a few people attacking would return some credit to the players.

I thought Rooney was a bit of a ..... in the studio yesterday he used every opportunity to have a rant about Jose and about not playing and acting to United standards.

This is from the guy that used city to get a better contract from us and fell out with the manager when his next contract was up.

Love Rooney and everything he achieved at the club but please don't pretend you were perfect.

The need for a decent RW is there and if there is no funds being for Jan as reported I'd like to see Chong being given a chance, while Jesse was there yesterday looking at his positional map he spent the majority of the game inside and Young was effectively the RW

https://twitter.com/BetweenThePosts/status/1076569667781697537?s=09

I think a winger in the squad could provide balance and a different option, but the positioning of lingard and young yesterday doesn't say we need a winger in of itself. Those two aspects were key to the movement and attacking play we saw, rather than showing we needed something different.

If Sanchez can remember how to football I also wonder what he could do in that same lingard role. Playing as more of a second striker with a free role, from the right. It's why I thought we bought him in the first place, to be honest

I worry for Lukaku if yesterday was the preferred way of playing. No way will Lukaku run as much as Rashford up front.
    Sanchez could actually fit in up front instead. He may be shít but he does run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

There is actually.

Playing attacking football, with wide players and a desire to bring on youth.

Treating all of the staff from your assistant right down to the cleaners as part of the family.

Behaving with dignity.

Wearing a suit.

Culture is a huge thing in most successful organisations.

Ole and Phelan are superb interim appointments.

Man Utd boards thank your great post

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

jayo26 wrote: »
    I thought Rooney was a bit of a ..... in the studio yesterday he used every opportunity to have a rant about Jose and about not playing and acting to United standards.

This is from the guy that used city to get a better contract from us and fell out with the manager when his next contract was up.

Love Rooney and everything he achieved at the club but please don't pretend you were perfect.

Fair enough, my point was more to do with what it was like to play for Jose rather than the things you have mentioned.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    You know what Simon? I agree....it's embarrassing we've been this bad we are celebrating a result against a Cardiff team who won three games on the trot at home. It's embarrassing fans are getting excited at the prospect of United actually caring during matches. It's embarrassing having a manager who doesn't want to play defensive and lets players do what they are paid to do....play. It's embarrassing that the players seemed like they were up for the fight compared to the way it's been this season.

Ye guys are top of the league at Christmas, and deservedly so. I said as much to my housemate during the week, before the results fell the way they did the last 36 hours. However, we're not celebrating beating a team. We're celebrating how it was done, the way we played, some of the amazing moments in that match. Go back to your Liverpool thread and circle jerk each other about Klopp (who is also a great manager). But stay the fcuk outta here with that nonsense. I'm embarrassed for you.

Took me two reads of this to fully appreciate what you were trying to say.

tenor-12.gifupload pictures

• It's embarrassing. You beat Cardiff.

Insufferable lot

And any wonder why rival fans piss themselves laughing at Liverpool fans when the inevitable fall from grace comes

Be humble

DM_7 wrote: »
    Fair enough, my point was more to do with what it was like to play for Jose rather than the things you have mentioned.

Oh yeah I wasn't directing it as you it was just my feelings about him yesterday and just happens you brought him up.

I don't think anyone can argue Jose got it very wrong tactically at United and man management too the next few months will tell us what the players are made of and see if they can rise from what they were.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement