Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018/2019 **warning in OP 24/2/19**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Drumpot wrote: »
    Games remaining

Champions league : PSG - prob 60%+ probability of being knocked out . Possible To win but no shame in going out. Going through will begin to feel like a Bobby Di Matteo situation is beginning to unfold.

FA cup : Arsenal - maybe a slight advantage to arsenal , particularly after beating Chelsea which should have their confidnce high. Feels like the new manager bounce is starting to wane a bit so it will be our next biggest test after spurs hurdle. Interesting to see how we handle it.

League:

H v Burnley
    A v Leicester
    A v Fulham
    H v Liverpool
    A v Palace
    H v Southampton
    A v Arsenal
    H v City
    H v Watford
    A v Wolves
    H v West Ham
    A v Everton
    H v Chelsea
    A v Huddersfield
    H v Cardiff

Liverpool, Arsenal , Chelsea and city games are obvious games where points might be dropped. Considering we are trying to still make up 3 points it sort of lowers my confidence a bit seeing these games.

In the league the Liverpool game is the next big test as Burnley , Leicester and Fulham should all be beatable. Shame it comes in middle of champions league tie but I suppose liveroool have the same issue. They are also under more pressure while pushing for a title so will be interesting to see if we can exploit that.

We've just won 7 on the trot and you can't get positive ?

You must have been in the depths of depression for the games prior to those 7 !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Probably mentIoned after the Chelsea game but Sarri took a dig at his players saying they are mentally weak, hopefully they down tools and we take advantage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

secman wrote: »
    We've just won 7 on the trot and you can't get positive ?

You must have been in the depths of depression for the games prior to those 7 !

I didn’t say I wasn’t positive, I said looking at the fixture list made me less confident because there are at least 4 tricky games in 15. I wouid predict a 75 to 80 points tally which will hopefully be enough for a top 4.

It is interesting that this is how you interpreted my post..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

No guarantee a dof will do the club any good at all, look at Damien Comolli for example, was a disaster at liverpool spurs and saint eteinne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

bangkok wrote: »
    No guarantee a dof will do the club any good at all, look at Damien Comolli for example, was a disaster at liverpool spurs and saint eteinne

Ground breaking analysis.

There are no guarantees when making signings ,does that mean no players,managers,staff should be signed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

As long as he does better than Woodward, which can’t be that difficult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

As long as he does better than Woodward, which can’t be that difficult

The club needs a plan and someone to implement it.I don't think Woodward is up to it.Get in someone to run the football side of the club and leave Woodward to what he does best.

We cant keep changing managers and expect things to magically work out when its starting from scratch each time.DoF or similar seems to me to be the best course of action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

yabadabado wrote: »
    The club needs a plan and someone to implement it.I don't think Woodward is up to it.Get in someone to run the football side of the club and leave Woodward to what he does best.

We cant keep changing managers and expect things to magically work out when its starting from scratch each time.DoF or similar seems to me to be the best course of action.

The thing I keep thinking of on this.... What's to stop the DoF leaving after a couple of seasons. Providing a through line of philosophy through managers only works if they are there through the transitions.

Look at arsenal, looks like their lad is off after a season. We had a guy in a somewhat diluted role in a similar vein leave after a year or so.

If the DoF is a solution to managers being somewhat short term... They can't be short term themselves.

Hmmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Suppose Fulham causing a shock is out of the question.

The thing I keep thinking of on this.... What's to stop the DoF leaving after a couple of seasons. Providing a through line of philosophy through managers only works if they are there through the transitions.

Look at arsenal, looks like their lad is off after a season. We had a guy in a somewhat diluted role in a similar vein leave after a year or so.

If the DoF is a solution to managers being somewhat short term... They can't be short term themselves.

Hmmmm.

Theres nothing to stop it, nothing to stop him making bad signings either. I used comolli as an example earlier

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Theres nothing to stop it, nothing to stop him making bad signings either. I used comolli as an example earlier

Example is only a possibility of what could happen. You picked one example I'm sure they are more but they are also lots of successful examples. Same as hiring ole as full time coach they are bad examples of hiring former players but they are also positive examples at many clubs.

All the club can do is make a proper plan and stuck with it!! Hiring 4 different type of managers can not continue something has to be done!.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Suppose Fulham causing a shock is out of the question.

Well theres one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

OK Fulham keep it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Thanks for the memories Darmian

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Thanks for the memories Darmian

I think he scored a nice goal against Palace once, or that might have been Blind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Best of luck to Darmian, he was a great pro.

Not a bad player at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Where would we be if Jose was gone during the summer I wonder?. Possibly 4pts off 3rd and have gained around 10pts on Spurs and Chelsea in a few weeks.

Where would we be if Jose was gone during the summer I wonder?. Possibly 4pts off 3rd and have gained around 10pts on Spurs and Chelsea in a few weeks.

Obviously going on current form we would be top of table on 69 points!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Darmian came on yesterday. So how Utd not be bringing a player in if he goes?

• Advertisement

DM_7 wrote: »

Id say it was more a thank you sub...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

Headshot wrote: »
    Best of luck to Darmian, he was a great pro.

Not a bad player at all

Yeah best of luck to him but thought he was poor enough to be honest!

Id say it was more a thank you sub...

Eh? United only had a one goal lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

feck argg

poxy luck

Alli did his hamstring so silver linings and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Headshot wrote: »
    feck argg

poxy luck

Tbh I wasnt expecting Spurs to drop points to Fulham so it's still exactly the same as I had thought it would be at the end of the day.

Eh? United only had a one goal lead.

He came on for a minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Seems Henry may want Fellaini at Monaco possibly on loan too.

He wasn’t in the original 18 man squad for yesterday’s game.

• Advertisement

Seems Henry may want Fellaini at Monaco possibly on loan too.

Let him go, another off the wage bill, replace him with Ndombele in the summer

He came on for a minute

Fair point.

I meant more him involved on the day might show United are short on defenders, he had to fill in at CB v Reading as well.

Fair point.

I meant more him involved on the day might show United are short on defenders, he had to fill in at CB v Reading as well.

With Smalling and Rojo coming back pretty soon, he’s unlikely to be needed again this season.

Don’t see him being replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Add Darmian to the list of players I’ll forget ever even played for United.

I was only reminded of the fact Schweinsteiger “played” for United the other day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I was only reminded of the fact Schweinsteiger “played” for United the other day

Don't think I'll ever forget he played for United. Started well for the club in his first season but never really got going. Never seen him as a United starter but certainly a good squad player who could be called upon to put in a good shift.

Plenty that could be shipped out ahead of him right now, best of luck to him. Hope he gets rid of that facial hair all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Schweinsteiger is one of my all time fave midfielders but we signed him a few years too late :(

Did Van Gaal not utilise him enough. Same with Schneiderlin although he's been pretty poor with Everton too

• Advertisement

The fact that Darmien a natural right full couldnt dislodge a used to be right winger (Valencia) and sometimes a used to be left winger (Young) says it all for me. Turned out to be a disappointing signing.

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Schweinsteiger is one of my all time fave midfielders but we signed him a few years too late :(

Did Van Gaal not utilise him enough. Same with Schneiderlin although he's been pretty poor with Everton too

Unfortunately I think Schweinsteiger was fecked when he joined us his legs had gone I was excited by his signing coming into a Van Gal team but it really didn't pan out never even heard much about his time in America, although that could be down to me more then how he got on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

secman wrote: »
    The fact that Darmien a natural right full couldnt dislodge a used to be right winger (Valencia) and sometimes a used to be left winger (Young) says it all for me. Turned out to be a disappointing signing.

Hes actually not a natural right full, though that's where he was initially bought for, his best position is playing in the right side of a back three like he does for Italy, I presume that's where Juve want him for too

astradave wrote: »
    Hes actually not a natural right full, though that's where he was initially bought for, his best position is playing in the right side of a back three like he does for Italy, I presume that's where Juve want him for too

Did he not play as a LWB or RWB a lot for Italy not that it really matters as its also not RB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

DM_7 wrote:

Prob get Fosu Mensah back as cover.

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »

So he was unsuitable at the off ? Anyways never cut the mustard.

Unfortunately I think Schweinsteiger was fecked when he joined us his legs had gone I was excited by his signing coming into a Van Gal team but it really didn't pan out never even heard much about his time in America, although that could be down to me more then how he got on

Think his time in the US was similar to his time at United although he did score a few nice goals.

Think his performances at thd 2010 world cup were brilliant

Prob get Fosu Mensah back as cover.

Doubt we’ll be taking him back this season.

Young, Dalot, Valencia & Shaw are enough for the area’s Darmian would be used primarily. Rojo can also fill in at left back if we’re that badly stuck (if he’s actually fit).

We may only have three cup games left this season as well so any further depth could be a waste of time.

Schweinsteiger, another player to feel the "man management" skills of Jose Mourinho. Jose actually apologised after for the way that he treated him

Schweinsteiger, another player to feel the "man management" skills of Jose Mourinho. Jose actually apologised after for the way that he treated him

He couldn't even make it under LVG though he was done unfortunately although he shouldn't have had to train with the reserves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Of course he was done Bayern wouldn't have left him go otherwise.

He couldn't even make it under LVG though he was done unfortunately although he shouldn't have had to train with the reserves

Another World Cup winner badly treated by Jose!!

Really though making a player like Schweinsteiger train with the reserves was crazy although i envy those reserves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Drumpot wrote: »
    In the league the Liverpool game is the next big test

Not specifically aimed at you as I understand what you meant overall, but I don't like this thing of "the next big test". It's total BS driven by clueless British media outlets.

We've been dropping points to the likes of Fulham, Burnley & Leicester regularly enough for the majority of last 5 years and now suddenly these games are being overlooked. Taking games against the smaller teams for granted as wins, especially away from home, is the kind of complacency that makes teams lose games. United took their foot off the peddle against Brighton in the second half, and they could easily have ended up with 4 points out of 6 against us this season as it was a bit nervy towards the end.

Goes to show how far OGS has moved the needle overall I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Econ__

v3ttel wrote: »
    Not specifically aimed at you as I understand what you meant overall, but I don't like this thing of "the next big test". It's total BS driven by clueless British media outlets.

We've been dropping points to the likes of Fulham, Burnley & Leicester regularly enough for the majority of last 5 years and now suddenly these games are being overlooked. Taking games against the smaller teams for granted as wins, especially away from home, is the kind of complacency that makes teams lose games. United took their foot off the peddle against Brighton in the second half, and they could easily have ended up with 4 points out of 6 against us this season as it was a bit nervy towards the end.

Goes to show how far OGS has moved the needle overall I suppose.

It's mostly the Jose loyalists that are downplaying the significance of winning the 'smaller' games. A couple of weeks ago that bucketybuck lad even went as far as downplaying potential wins against Spurs & PSG.

These people must create narratives for themselves to distract from the massive hole they dug themselves into over Mourinho.

Econ__ wrote: »
    It's mostly the Jose loyalists that are downplaying the significance of winning the 'smaller' games. A couple of weeks ago that bucketybuck lad even went as far as downplaying potential wins against Spurs & PSG.

These people must create narratives for themselves to distract from the massive hole they dug themselves into over Mourinho.

And you must come back in after a week away and try create an atmosphere some things in life are pretty obvious.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement