Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018/2019 **warning in OP 24/2/19**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Econ__ wrote: »
    It's mostly the Jose loyalists that are downplaying the significance of winning the 'smaller' games. A couple of weeks ago that bucketybuck lad even went as far as downplaying potential wins against Spurs & PSG.

These people must create narratives for themselves to distract from the massive hole they dug themselves into over Mourinho.

Yawn seeing phantom loyalists still. You poor poor man/child.
    jayo26 wrote: »
    And you must come back in after a week away and try create an atmosphere some things in life are pretty obvious.

Its a borderline fetish some have at this point.

• Remember folks, you must have an IQ of at least 160 to engage

Us peasents aka #manutdboards

Oh and make sure to have full knowledge of double pivots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Sometimes it's fun to be a bit Wenger round these parts all voyeuristic just watch the mayhem ensue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Econ__ wrote: »
    It's mostly the Jose loyalists that are downplaying the significance of winning the 'smaller' games. A couple of weeks ago that bucketybuck lad even went as far as downplaying potential wins against Spurs & PSG.

These people must create narratives for themselves to distract from the massive hole they dug themselves into over Mourinho.

Fact is we have come through a busy christmas period and the follow on with maximium points.

Arsenal, City, Chelsea and Spurs all slipped up to lower teams.

People can down play it all they want but 3 points is 3 points and weve deserved every point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

secman wrote: »
    The fact that Darmien a natural right full couldnt dislodge a used to be right winger (Valencia) and sometimes a used to be left winger (Young) says it all for me. Turned out to be a disappointing signing.

I remember when the first reports broke about us signing Darmian, the reports also noted a disagreement between Van Gaal and the scouting team, who felt he was no better than what was already at the club. Looks like they were right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Fact is we have come through a busy christmas period and the follow on with maximium points.

People can down play it all they want but 3 points is 3 points and weve deserved every point.

There is a difference in downplaying results and not getting carried away!! Most people are happy and delighted with results and football but there is no point jumping the gun it's a great achievement have why he is the only United manager to win his first seven games but back slapping can wait until they have achieved something.

Id Love for nothing more then the team to put the bored in a position where they have to take on ole it would be fantastic having a club man on charge full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Remember the Clyne vs darmian debate? I was firmly on darmian's side. He dominated in 1v1 battles when he got here 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

beakerjoe wrote: »

Who is downplaying anything ? Why is it all of a sudden negative to discuss our prospects for the season ? What do you think is balanced discussion or expectations on Ole ? I've noticed some people jump on posts I have made (not saying you BJ) that have nothing to do with Jose and they have somehow dragged it back to that as if I was having a go at Ole. I am a United fan, I want Ole to succeed. I am not an idiot who wants Ole to fail because I think it will make Jose looks better, that's says more about people who think that way then me.

I put in a post giving my feelings on how the season might play out and expressed a bit of concern that at least 4 of our final 15 league games are against very strong opposition. How have people managed to twist that to look negative ? What's odd is that people , instead of discussing the merits of my comments, instead attacked it for being somehow overly negative.

People appear to attack certain posters and interpret the content of each poster differently. I've posted things that were repeated by others very soon afterwards and the reaction to the same information from them is quite revealing. Its interesting watching the prejudices of some people play out. I think a lot of people here would enjoy the game WereWolf, because part of it is about misinterpreting peoples posts and casting shade on people you want to look bad/wrong. Its also about picking a side and belligerently defending it by putting others down . . I mean this place is practically like a never ending game of WW . . :D

Ole succeeding or failing does not fully explain what happened under Jose so people should stop building up each game (or playing them down). If Ole does poor against PSG and the stronger teams in the league for the remainder of the season there will be obvious concerns. Not because it proves we should of kept Jose, but because it will be a concern as to whether or not his lack of top football management might be a problem. That's just a fact that shouldn't be something that cannot be mentioned here.

Ole is the manager until May and most of us will review his performance then. I am very interested in seeing how he performs against better teams because along with our league position that will ultimately be the benchmark as to whether or not he gets the job. I want him to get the job and think these will be imperative to that. Winning against the Burnley's and Brighton's is exactly what people were saying we should be doing but I am not sure that will be enough for a top 4 or for Ole to get the job Full time. That's not downplaying our recent run, its just saying what we all know to be true.

And I don't see Ole as being the most important person in how our club gets back to the top. I see structural resources/strategies as integral. Ole cannot fix our problems on his own, so people need to stop being so sensitive to those of us who want to have a more comprehensive discussion on the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Remember the Clyne vs darmian debate? I was firmly on darmian's side. He dominated in 1v1 battles when he got here 1st.

Clyne was ahocking going forward. A solid 6/10 every game. Taa is much better going forward, similiar to dalot. Full backs are so important nowadays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Clyne was ahocking going forward. A solid 6/10 every game. Taa is much better going forward, similiar to dalot. Full backs are so important nowadays

Who mentioned taa????

Has wasn't around when darmian came but there was a debate if Darmian vs Clyne and Darmian looked really good going forward back then but he lost his way.... thats what mars is saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Who mentioned taa????

Has wasn't around when darmian came but there was a debate if Darmian vs Clyne and Darmian looked really good going forward back then but he lost his way.... thats what mars is saying.

Obviously Clyne was the best in the world.

Darmian looked really good for the first few games - defensive position, timing of the tackle... so good. and then it all went away....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

Darmian looked really good for the first few games - defensive position, timing of the tackle... so good. and then it all went away....

Italian international, could play RB/lb and also fill in at CB.
    Ticked a lot of boxes at the time.
    Shame he didn't work out.

Could actually do with a reliable player such as that now to mentor Dalor, cover Shaw and CB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

You sir are correct and right
    He obviously was,until TAA came along
    He's now clearly and obviously the best in the world.

• Advertisement

Not saying it was the cause but he looked good until van gaal started moving him about he was settled at right back, then I think he was moved to left back and even tho he had played there in Italy he never looked the same at United again he just never looked like he could settle into the team.

Saying that even tho he has been average for us if I was to think of defenders making mistakes Damian wouldn't be one of the first to come to my head at United.

Darmian was generally grand. I said it maybe last year during a game I only realised Darmian was on the pitch after about 30 minutes. He didnt make many mistakes to annoy/cost the team from a defensive standpoint but he didnt really beat too many men/charge on too much from an offensive standpoint.

Most of his games for us would probably be a 6 or 7 out of 10. Not bad but not great.

https://twitter.com/N8NathanPatrick/status/1087114273518583808

Funny story, but if true and timely.... where the feck were the team going? We were at home at the weekend and next game is (in London, so they will get a train down) Friday.

Must be pictures from a while back, or at least last weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

I saw, I think on Pogba and someone elses Instagram stories, that they were in fact on a train playing Uno in the last couple of days. Not sure where they are going, strange now that you mention it.

Julez wrote: »
    I saw, I think on Pogba and someone elses Instagram stories, that they were in fact on a train playing Uno in the last couple of days. Not sure where they are going, strange now that you mention it.

Coming back from Dubai (plane then train from London)?

EDIT: Nevermind, that would have been before the spurs game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That could've been reduced to a single tweet about how his oblivious parents got a photo with Paul Pogba.

Instead he wrote a novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

i was at the match on Saturday. Rashford looks confidence supreme & absolutely loving his football. One thing we noticed however was, he ran out of gas with 10-15 mins to go. He was out on his feet after giving everything. He was booked for a bad challenge in the closing mins, he was mentally & physically fatigued. I noticed the same thing in the last 10mins against Spurs, he just didnt have the energy to track back when he was moved out to the left. Its a slight worry that OGS or staff didnt notice this. Perhaps they did, but is it that he has played so well for us you cant take him off? He eventually was substituted in the 92nd min . But you are more prone to injury when leg weary, could have got sent off, or could cost us for not tracking back. what do ye think?

damowill wrote: »
    i was at the match on Saturday. Rashford looks confidence supreme & absolutely loving his football. One thing we noticed however was, he ran out of gas with 10-15 mins to go. He was out on his feet after giving everything. He was booked for a bad challenge in the closing mins, he was mentally & physically fatigued. I noticed the same thing in the last 10mins against Spurs, he just didnt have the energy to track back when he was moved out to the left. Its a slight worry that OGS or staff didnt notice this. Perhaps they did, but is it that he has played so well for us you cant take him off? He eventually was substituted in the 92nd min . But you are more prone to injury when leg weary, could have got sent off, or could cost us for not tracking back. what do ye think?

I would say they noticed, but the calculation was to keep him on - figuring other subs and tactical changes were needed rather than Rashford coming off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Coming back from Dubai (plane then train from London)?

EDIT: Nevermind, that would have been before the spurs game.

They were both on the train yesterday. No idea where they were going though.

They’ve both very recently become fathers - that would be the common link. Trip to London to see their newborns perhaps? Portland Hospital London is where Matic’s child was born.

Screenshot-20190121-150533.jpg

New contract up to 2023 with one year option. I'd imagine he will be going loan in next couple days now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

damowill wrote: »

Was also off his feet in that final period v Spurs.

He hasn't played too many 90s though, especially not with the intense efforts of the Spurs game, so I wouldn't say it'll be a long term issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Screenshot-20190121-150533.jpg

New contract up to 2023 with one year option. I'd imagine he will be going loan in next couple days now.

More rewarding of mediocrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ollkiller

J. Marston wrote: »

I remember when Darren Fletcher was breaking into the side and nearly everyone said he wasn't a United player or would never be one. I was in the same boat but he developed to be a big game player for United.

Not saying the same will happen with Scott but he is a young player, give him time to develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

J. Marston wrote: »

Ensures we get a fee if we decide to sell him, makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I would say they noticed, but the calculation was to keep him on - figuring other subs and tactical changes were needed rather than Rashford coming off.
    The Mata for Lingard substitution was odd. I guess this was around the time that Rashford started to run out of gas.

I wonder was the plan to bring Lukaku on for Martial just before Huddersfield scored. Rashford seems to get moved onto the left in place of Martial as he is more likely to stick to his defensive duties but it's not the ideal spot for someone who has little more to give.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

ollkiller wrote: »
    I remember when Darren Fletcher was breaking into the side and nearly everyone said he wasn't a United player or would never be one. I was in the same boat but he developed to be a big game player for United.

Not saying the same will happen with Scott but he is a young player, give him time to develop.

I agree completely with this sentiment. You also have to remember you cant have 25 world class stars in a squad and you do need to have some home grown lads. The John O'Sheas and Philly Nevilles are good solid players to have and McTominey may turn out to be one of them. Sometimes a players mentality and application can even out deficiencies in talent.

• J. Marston wrote: »

The narrative I read here is that Mctominey was brought to the first team by Jose to dislodge Pogba.

Yep that was actually said.

I don't particularly rate him but he's homegrown and may improve. But it doesn't surprise me he's gotten a new contract considering how the higher ups are running the club.

ollkiller wrote: »

Plenty of United players have been rewarded for "mediocrity". I dont think anyone at any point would ever have said that any of John O'Shea, Phil Neville, Darren Fletcher, Park Ji-Sung or Wes Brown were "World Class" or deserving a spot any "Best XI" for any season they were at the club. I still highly doubt Fergie regrets keeping any of them at the club as long as he did. A squad is important. Not everyone needs to be a galactico.

No issue with McTominay getting a new deal. I'm not a huge fan, nor do I think he will be a superstar, but he applies himself well, follows tactical intructions, is disciplined, can be put in a few positions and scenarios. A useful squad player with no real downside to keeping him - I don't think keeping him will impact any potential plans to improve that area of the pitch.

Smalling getting a new deal however.....

While Pereira hasn't had much chance to show what he can do in a United shirt in recent times I would argue that McTominay has impressed more when he's been given his chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

"Arsenal have confirmed that their head of recruitment, Sven Mislintat, will leave his role next month, due to the club not having any plans to recruit anyone, ever again."

Classic paddy power

https://twitter.com/R_o_M/status/1087434103576776717?s=19

Said it the other day, but i love the way rash leans into the defender as he strikes the ball. Holds him off and gives leverage on the whip. Maybe conincidental, but if not that is so good.

https://twitter.com/R_o_M/status/1087434103576776717?s=19

Said it the other day, but i love the way rash leans into the defender as he strikes the ball. Holds him off and gives leverage on the whip. Maybe conincidental, but if not that is so good.

he knew exactly what he was doing from the moment he flicked the ball on the outside of his foot at start of move.

i still have to laugh at those who said he wasnt good enough and needed a loan move to a championship club :pac:

bangkok wrote: »
    he knew exactly what he was doing from the moment he flicked the ball on the outside of his foot at start of move.

i still have to laugh at those who said he wasnt good enough and needed a loan move to a championship club :pac:

The person who said it a bit has admitted rash is shoving that opinion down their throat (I paraphrase)

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »

Still have to laugh that you always have to try get a score point against everyone you just can't post in a normal fashion then wonder why your called out on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Still have to laugh that you always have to try get a score point against everyone you just can't post in a normal fashion then wonder why your called out on everything.

You name checked me the other day for no reason, spouting a load of ****e to start an argument, and here you are again with the "why can't you post normally like me" and "don't sink to there level your better than that" crap.

Literally the biggest provoker and stirrer on here calling others out yet again and trying to dictate what normal posting is. Absolutely cringe worthy hypocrisy and nobodies buying it.

it feels good when you are proven right and someone else was talking nonsense

You name checked me the other day for no reason, spouting a load of ****e to start an argument, and here you are again with the "why can't you post normally like me" and "don't sink to there level your better than that" crap.

Literally the biggest provoker and stirrer on here calling others out yet again and trying to dictate what normal posting is. Absolutely cringe worthy hypocrisy and nobodies buying it.

Hey dude you might want to have a look at what your quoting there that post is nothing to do with me and if ou werent so quick to jump back at someone for daring to call out bangkok again you wohld realise it!!!!!

If you feel I am dragging the thread down like Bangkok then report me feel free I would welcome it and if a mod wants to have a chat about what I've said I will engage and explain exactly anything I've posted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Hey dude you might want to have a look at what your quoting there that post is nothing to do with me and if ou werent so quick to jump back at someone for daring to call out bangkok again you wohld realise it!!!!!

If you feel I am dragging the thread down like Bangkok then report me feel free I would welcome it and if a mod wants to have a chat about what I've said I will engage and explain exactly anything I've posted!!!

Why don't you listen to your own advise and report people instead of jumping at the likes of bangkok then?

"dragging the thread down like Bangkok"

wpid-dolls_laughing2.gif

• Advertisement

• The state of it lol

Triggered again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Put kettle black

Jayo26 is not noted for dragging the thread down, provoking or stirring things up or being warned by mods repeatedly to stop dragging thread off topic.

It's people like you and a few others who he have caused a huge drop off in posting on thread by long term posters with your constant argumentative posting style

Take a look in the mirror before Manning accusations of other will respected posters

Rashford has done extremely well under Olé and has had some moments of absolute class.

I'll be interested to see how he, Olé and the fans react when he misses a few important clear cut chances or has a barren patch.

The state of it lol

Triggered again

Loved it when claimed someone else was sensitive.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Rashford has done extremely well under Olé and has had some moments of absolute class.

I'll be interested to see how he, Olé and the fans react when he misses a few important clear cut chances or has a barren patch.

All strikers have barren spells I'm sure he will be fine he will have patience from fans because he is homegrown.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement