Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018/2019 **warning in OP 24/2/19**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

S.M.B. wrote: »
    What kind of witchcraft is Ole using!!!!

He's obviously using the same tactics that opposition fans said Fergie used all the time.. paying everyone off..

In this case he obviously paid the groundsman to but a hole in the ground right in that position as he new that neymar would run over it and go down and break his foot..

Next up is the Ref to be bought on Friday

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

astradave wrote: »
    He's obviously using the same tactics that opposition fans said Fergie used all the time.. paying everyone off..

In this case he obviously paid the groundsman to but a hole in the ground right in that position as he new that neymar would run over it and go down and break his foot..

Next up is the Ref to be bought on Friday

:D

Then fall foul of the FA for some stupid reason that all other managers get away with, so he will then have them in his back pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

If Neymar is out, its a huge boost to us. Would have liked to see him play but not too dissapointed that he is out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bangkok wrote: »
    If Neymar is out, its a huge boost to us. Would have liked to see him play but not too dissapointed that he is out

You can watch him play other teams.

I would not enjoy Neymar vs Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Most garbage players are worth 20m now so 25m is reasonable if not more actually. Maybe 35m.

Agreed I mean Liverpool will get £18 million for Danny ings at the end of the season and the man missed the last 3 years nearly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hococop wrote: »
    Agreed I mean Liverpool will get £18 million for Danny ings at the end of the season and the man missed the last 3 years nearly

Huge difference is Ings score goals , not enough for a top team but enough for a lower Prem team,
    Forwards will always cost more, even poor ones simply reason is for the lower teams goals are like gold dust ,
    One decent goal scorer in your squad and your probably not getting relegated ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Jones has shown his use again in the last few games and is still referred to with derision by United fans. His errors get blown out of proportion in a way that few others do. His general defensive skill is sound and he is generally proficient with the ball at his feet. He can't be relied on to play consistently due to injuries but he has gotten a lot better on that front too and has been in for the best defensive periods of the last few seasons.

I'd certainly much rather him to Smalling who stands off strikers and couldn't get in England squads ahead of the likes of Michael Keane and Tarkowski because he is crap with the ball. Good at heading though you'd wonder how his grabbing of players will transfer to the VAR era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Hococop wrote: »

Definitely. Even if we didn't get 25 for him. We should minimum get 15. 4/6 is what I'd expect our academy graduates to be sold for.

Liam O wrote: »
    Jones has shown his use again in the last few games and is still referred to with derision by United fans. His errors get blown out of proportion in a way that few others do. His general defensive skill is sound and he is generally proficient with the ball at his feet. He can't be relied on to play consistently due to injuries but he has gotten a lot better on that front too and has been in for the best defensive periods of the last few seasons.

I'd certainly much rather him to Smalling who stands off strikers and couldn't get in England squads ahead of the likes of Michael Keane and Tarkowski because he is crap with the ball. Good at heading though you'd wonder how his grabbing of players will transfer to the VAR era.

Much prefer Smalling. Jones has many mistakes in him. Smalling should be kept as a squad player. Jones sold asap. He is never fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Instead you get to see Mbappe and Cavani vs Jones and Lindelof

Yikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1088054950586912770

#mufc are continuing talks with Mata regarding a contract extension. He wants a two year contract but the club normally offer one year contracts to over 30's #mulive [men

You can watch him play other teams.

It would more than likely be neymar v young or dalot

Also, under fergie at the bernabeu, jones did an excellent man marking job on Ronaldo and he is 10 times the player neymar is

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Instead you get to see Mbappe and Cavani vs Jones and Lindelof

Yikes
    Better than Mbappe, Cavanni AND Neymar though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1088054950586912770

#mufc are continuing talks with Mata regarding a contract extension. He wants a two year contract but the club normally offer one year contracts to over 30's #mulive [men

Surprised we're offering Mata an extension, has offered very little the last few years and doesn't fit into the Manchester United way that Ole is trying to implement. Another player who should be let loose imo.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Also, under fergie at the bernabeu, jones did an excellent man marking job on Ronaldo and he is 10 times the player neymar is

Well, if Jones did that more than 5 years ago, its bound to be GRAND vs PSG.

• Advertisement

Totally different player Neymar spends most of his time in PSG shirt around the midfield area he drifts way more than Ronaldo, Who is more interested in staying as close to the goals as possible, ,
    It makes it impossible for a centre half or full back to man mark him , If you really want to man mark him best off a spare midfielder,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

It's going to look silly for a lot in here when Jones not only locks down the PSG attack but taps in one or two for us in the process.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    It's going to look silly for a lot in here when Jones not only locks down the PSG attack but taps in one or two for us in the process.

Feels like a lifetime ago now... but that OG vs Valencia...smh.

Totally different player Neymar spends most of his time in PSG shirt around the midfield area he drifts way more than Ronaldo, Who is more interested in staying as close to the goals as possible, ,
    It makes it impossible for a centre half or full back to man mark him , If you really want to man mark him best off a spare midfielder,

Could see herrera do a job on him. Cant stand him now, used to like him but at the world cup he was a disgrace and hasnt even tried to improve his antics on the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Give Mata a 10 year contract and stop fannying about.

• Advertisement

Mata should definitely be kept as a great squad option. No chance of getting a replacement for 40 mil+. Highly intelligent player to unlock 10 man defences. Doesn't rely on speed so age isn't an issue.

Much prefer Smalling. Jones has many mistakes in him. Smalling should be kept as a squad player. Jones sold asap. He is never fit.

He's been fit for the last half season and yet Smalling? Where is he? They are as bad as each other for injuries but I think Jones has gotten a bit better the last couple of years.

Defenders who go for the ball and actually put pressure on attackers can look a bit more vulnerable to mistakes as they actually are in position to make them rather than cowards like Smalling who are afraid to commit in case they make a mistake. You could do a compilation of Rio, Vidic, Terry and the rest of them's mistakes every season and they would look terrible. Jones has been very good for United the last few years, his issue is fitness.

Liam O wrote: »
    He's been fit for the last half season and yet Smalling? Where is he? They are as bad as each other for injuries but I think Jones has gotten a bit better the last couple of years.

Defenders who go for the ball and actually put pressure on attackers can look a bit more vulnerable to mistakes as they actually are in position to make them rather than cowards like Smalling who are afraid to commit in case they make a mistake. You could do a compilation of Rio, Vidic, Terry and the rest of them's mistakes every season and they would look terrible. Jones has been very good for United the last few years, his issue is fitness.

Smalling overall has been more consistent and that's partly because he is injured less. Jones gets injured every 5 games so it's not worth trying any more.

Mata should definitely be kept as a great squad option. No chance of getting a replacement for 40 mil+. Highly intelligent player to unlock 10 man defences. Doesn't rely on speed so age isn't an issue.

I'm of two minds on it. Take it that his position is right side/free roam to central.

First choice there, at the moment, is Lingard.

personally, I'm baffled as to why Sanchez isn't tried there - playing him left effects Martial and Rashford. Sanchez has played on the right - for Udinese, Barcelona and Chilli.

We obvioulsy have mata there.

Looking to the future, within the squad, Chong is a potential player there.

If we are looking to upgrade the attack/team over the summer, IMO a player for this right sided/central position is one position we should be looking at - and it would be between Mata and Sanchez to be sold to make room, imo.

I'm of two minds on it. Take it that his position is right side/free roam to central.

First choice there, at the moment, is Lingard.

personally, I'm baffled as to why Sanchez isn't tried there - playing him left effects Martial and Rashford. Sanchez has played on the right - for Udinese, Barcelona and Chilli.

We obvioulsy have mata there.

Looking to the future, within the squad, Chong is a potential player there.

If we are looking to upgrade the attack/team over the summer, IMO a player for this right sided/central position is one position we should be looking at - and it would be between Mata and Sanchez to be sold to make room, imo.
    Lingard and Mata should be cover for the CAM role that Pogba is currently occupying imo. Mata is probably on big money but if it's a reasonable amount he's demanding I'd have no problem at all with him staying.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed that Alexis Sanchez will be involved in Friday’s Emirates FA Cup fourth-round tie at Arsenal, but three other players will be missing.

Alexis has missed the last two games with an injury he sustained in the 2-0 win over Reading in the last round of the competition but he will take part against his former club, on what will be his first return to the Emirates Stadium since leaving the Gunners a year ago this week.

“He’ll be involved,” said Ole in his exclusive interview with MUTV before Friday’s press conference. “I think he’ll love it if the crowd turn against him. As a player, pride kicks in and you think ‘I’ll show all of you’. He’s been fantastic in training, his attitude has been spot on so hopefully he’ll enjoy the game.”

I'd like to see Herrera's contract tied down with the captains armband.

Out of all the outfield players I reckon he deserves it most and would be a good captain.

Out of all the outfield players I reckon he deserves it most and would be a good captain.

There were big calls to this after the 2016/2017 season but things didn't go to plan for him last season. Did pick it up towards the end.

Definitely think he is one of the few vocal guys on that squad and his passion can't be questioned. I'd have no complaints him getting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Surprised we're offering Mata an extension, has offered very little the last few years and doesn't fit into the Manchester United way that Ole is trying to implement. Another player who should be let loose imo.

I'm always torn on Mata.

While he definitely doesn't fit into the recent styles and systems, he is an invaluable asset in games where we are dealing with deep sitting defences and he is great and breaking between the lines, threading passes or breaking the deadlock with a freekick.

I think he's worth keeping.

As Ken Early said recently in a debate about David Silva being overrated (which I totally agree with) "Silva is just Juan Mata with a manager who trusts him"

Mata suffers from a "meta" that basically is eroding creative 10's that don't have engines and pace. But he will always have a good contribution to make over the course of a season

Could see herrera do a job on him. Cant stand him now, used to like him but at the world cup he was a disgrace and hasnt even tried to improve his antics on the field

While obviously it would be negligent of Ole to disregard some form of instruction against PSG, don't be surprised to see us take what appears to be a pretty offensive approach to it, similar to Spurs away.

Anytime I see PSG they just have gaps all over the place, have a defence I don't personally rate, and I think Lingard, Martial, Rashford and Pogba can cause immense damage.

Like everything so far, I'd imagine we will fully operate on the front foot, and not set out a mindset of getting tied up in Mbappe or Neymar. Big test for Luke Shaw, and Pogba if he is deployed on the left of the midfield three.

But they will be looking at our lot and thinking the same to be honest.

• Advertisement

I wonder does Ole effectively auditioning for the job impact the plans.

Jose for example, might be looking to win the tie but also protect his job. So going conservative and looking to nick it on the counter.

Ole will be looking to win the tie, but with the way the season has been there is no real expectation we will go through - and as long as we are not utterly humiliated it may not really affect his chances.

Ie. Is it less damaging for Ole to go out 4-2 on agg, than it may have been for Jose - thus Ole can gamble a bit more freely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Adamocovic wrote: »
    There were big calls to this after the 2016/2017 season but things didn't go to plan for him last season. Did pick it up towards the end.

Definitely think he is one of the few vocal guys on that squad and his passion can't be questioned. I'd have no complaints him getting it.

I'd probably be more happy with DDG (C) & Herrera (VC)

I'd probably be more happy with DDG (C) & Herrera (VC)

I would have them 2 as the main candidates however I'm not a fan of the GK being the captain.

I wonder does Ole effectively auditioning for the job impact the plans.

Jose for example, might be looking to win the tie but also protect his job. So going conservative and looking to nick it on the counter.

Ole will be looking to win the tie, but with the way the season has been there is no real expectation we will go through - and as long as we are not utterly humiliated it may not really affect his chances.

Ie. Is it less damaging for Ole to go out 4-2 on agg, than it may have been for Jose - thus Ole can gamble a bit more freely?

Depends on the context and view of the fans.

Under Jose, I was fully expecting us to go out. But that was based on the team under him. Being absolutely ****e. And when we went out, I would have as usual being calling for his removal.

Should Manchester United be worrying about PSG? I don't think so. Regardless of Neymar and Mbappe, this is a team that has shown year on year it can't cope properly with the CL because they are in a mickey mouse league.

Plus it's also a seriously average team in many areas of the pitch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm always torn on Mata.

While he definitely doesn't fit into the recent styles and systems, he is an invaluable asset in games where we are dealing with deep sitting defences and he is great and breaking between the lines, threading passes or breaking the deadlock with a freekick.

I think he's worth keeping.

As Ken Early said recently in a debate about David Silva being overrated (which I totally agree with) "Silva is just Juan Mata with a manager who trusts him"

Mata suffers from a "meta" that basically is eroding creative 10's that don't have engines and pace. But he will always have a good contribution to make over the course of a season

My issue with Mata is that playing him forces a change in style or ideas.

On days where you want that change, great. Yet to allow him play well he has to be involved on days where the things he brings are not actually desirable.

Would it be better for United to have a player who is similar in ways to the first choice players? A player who can compete with players to start or come off the bench and not force a change in ideas. For arguments sake, Memphis. Who would be better on most days to have available, a player like Memphis, similar in attributes to likes of Martial, or better to have Mata who is so differant.

My worry right now is United might be keeping players as it is easier than replacing them.

I say that and straight away imagine Mata would be chased by likes of Juventus and then wonder why I am asking questions about him at all, just sign him up dammit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Looks a different player with the reigns taken off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I'd be good with herrera or de gea. Herrera ****ing loves the club. You see it everytime he plays

Herrera as United captain really ?
    Would you not think he will be replaced as a starter in the summer ?
    I see Ole giving it to Pogba if he s the manger next seasom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

One of the best candidates for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Would you not think he will be replaced as a starter in the summer ?
    I see Ole giving it to Pogba if he s the manger next seasom

As in more players bought? I think that is unlikely. He be replaced is playing well on his own right and United invested a lot in Fred who needs to be brought up to speed as well.

United need a CB (or two) and a RB. Move out a few players who are not contributing much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

DM_7 wrote: »
    As in more players bought? I think that is unlikely. He be replaced is playing well on his own right and United invested a lot in Fred who needs to be brought up to speed as well.

United need a CB (or two) and a RB. Move out a few players who are not contributing much.

Cough Cough Smalling Cough Cough Valencia Cough

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Cough Cough Smalling Cough Cough Valencia Cough

Valencia’s contract is up in the summer so he’s as good as gone.

Smalling unlikely to go anywhere after his new contract.

You might see it as a dig buy the calibre of United captain's in recent years say a lot about the direction the club has gone on the field,

They went Keane ,Nev, Vidic , Rooney,
    Then Carrick getting it at 36 , Valencia getting it at 33 as a right back , Next Herrera, that's pity sharp decline ,

FourFourFM wrote: »
    One of the best candidates for it.

I have a lot of respect for Ander. Reason him and Jones (despite the jokes around him) are two of my favorites are because of their passion for playing for us and the workrate they put in. Not always great or pretty but it's infectious.

It's probably pointless at this point but had he gotten the captains armband after the 2016/2017 season I wonder if it would have had much effect on where we would be now.

Sounds silly I know but perhaps he would have played a bigger role in the beginning of the 2017/2018 season. Matic was brought in as the replacement for him really, and he went from our player of the year to struggling sub for a long while. Did pick it up towards end of the season though. There would have been no complaints after the previous season to him getting the duties if we went that way but clearly we looked at replacing him with bringing in Matic.

Then before this season Fred was purchased, again looking like Herrera would be gone or pushed aside but again he's played himself into contention. If all had gone well we could have avoided the mess around giving Pogba the VC and Captains armband, then taking it off him and possibly causing a rift in the camp.

Again we're coming towards another season talking about Herrera being replaced. Thing is once the players around him are free to work creatively he's a great work horse in that position and gets fired up. I wouldn't be surprised if we make another signing and Herrera continues to win his spot.

The role of the captain has become less and less relevant over the years anyway.

I still thinks it suits Herrera though. No bullsh*t with him.

• Advertisement

Well when Fred was bought in the Summer I would have hoped that he would have been the end of Herrera as a consistent starter. Wouldn't get rid of Herrera as I love his attitude but he has been constantly dropped each season he's played for the club and isn't really a great player offensively or defensively.

Him and Matic have been good the last few weeks but I'd be looking for upgrades on both sooner rather than later tbh. Fred has a lot of the attributes I'd be looking for to fill Herrera's current role but maybe lacks a bit of discipline at the moment. A top level Athletic DM or deep lying playmaker should still be looked at tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jaysus,how hard is it to sell/loan a player.
    Juventus"out of the picture for Darmian"
    "All about Inter".
    Gazetto de la Sport.

You might see it as a dig buy the calibre of United captain's in recent years say a lot about the direction the club has gone on the field,

They went Keane ,Nev, Vidic , Rooney,
    Then Carrick getting it at 36 , Valencia getting it at 33 as a right back , Next Herrera, that's pity sharp decline ,

I'd be much happier seeing it go to Ander. I'd view it as a step up too. Albeit depends on the clubs plans for him.

The likelyhood is if it is taken off Valencia (who I don't agree with as captain) it goes to Smalling or maybe Young who have captained a couple of times too. Would be far happier with us going back to a vocal fiery captain.

Jaysus,how hard is it to sell/loan a player.
    Juventus"out of the picture for Darmian"
    "All about Inter".
    Gazetto de la Sport.

Inter will hopefully throw a bit of money at it anyway. A very irresponsible club (not that a United fan can judge :p)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement