Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018/2019 **warning in OP 24/2/19**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I'd be much happier seeing it go to Ander. I'd view it as a step up too. Albeit depends on the clubs plans for him.

The likelyhood is if it is taken off Valencia (who I don't agree with as captain) it goes to Smalling or maybe Young who have captained a couple of times too. Would be far happier with us going back to a vocal fiery captain.

Look at the four name you've mentioned for potential captain of Man United,

The issues isn't that the don't make sense its more that they make total sense but again look at the names for Captain of Man United , Young, Smalling, Herrera , Valencia .

They wouldn't look out of place as captain of a Westham or any other midtable side,

United have some fabulous attacking young talent but if your looking for a leader of a club many call the biggest in the world that's not good reading ,

Whoever get the job fulltime needs to bring in some leaders , obviously at CB and MF , if they do with the likes of De Gea, Pogba, Rashford ,Marital and so they won't be far off the top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Look at the four name you've mentioned for potential captain of Man United,

The issues isn't that the don't make sense its more that they make total sense but again look at the names for Captain of Man United , Young, Smalling, Herrera , Valencia .

They wouldn't look out of place as captain of a Westham or any other midtable side,

United have some fabulous attacking young talent but if your looking for a leader of a club many call the biggest in the world that's not good reading ,

Whoever get the job fulltime needs to bring in some leaders , obviously at CB and MF , if they do with the likes of De Gea, Pogba, Rashford ,Marital and so they won't be far off the top

Herrera would be an excellent captain. Yes United need leaders without shadow of a doubt but we need them in defence more importantly then midfield. Fred will get another chance to assert himself and steak a claim for spot in midfield.

When Herrera is playing he is a leader in midfield totally gets the club and desire to win at all costs plus he is a really nice guy that rival fans seem to love.

United signings more then likely will be defence focused and a right winger is still needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Hope to see Fred Ander and Pogba against Arsenal tomorrow..

astradave wrote: »
    Hope to see Fred Ander and Pogba against Arsenal tomorrow..

Have we all moved on from wanting to see periera start games now? He hasn't really dine much to impress in the few chances he got bit disappointing.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Herrera would be an excellent captain. Yes United need leaders without shadow of a doubt but we need them in defence more importantly then midfield. Fred will get another chance to assert himself and steak a claim for spot in midfield.

When Herrera is playing he is a leader in midfield totally gets the club and desire to win at all costs plus he is a really nice guy that rival fans seem to love.

United signings more then likely will be defence focused and a right winger is still needed.

What does it even mean when someone say's a player "totally gets the club" I never got that ,

Have we all moved on from wanting to see periera start games now? He hasn't really dine much to impress in the few chances he got bit disappointing.

You'd imagine United will go full strength ,
    Ole will want to get the job wining the FA cup would help with that,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

You'd imagine United will go full strength ,
    Ole will want to get the job wining the FA cup would help with that,

He’s said there will be one or two changes and that Sanchez will be involved.

One of them is Romero in for DDG anyway. I’d expect Sanchez to see minutes in the second half rather than start the game. Possibly Matic or Jesse to be rotated too?

What does it even mean when someone say's a player "totally gets the club" I never got that ,

There are players and managers that don't care for clubs they don't worry about club history or any of that. Ole Solskjaer is someone that get a the club he knows all the history and big games even ones since he retired.

Ander Herrera has done interviews and talked about the club and its history and big points on its history he understands what it is to be a United player.

There are players and managers that don't care for clubs they don't worry about club history or any of that. Ole Solskjaer is someone that get a the club he knows all the history and big games even ones since he retired.

Ander Herrera has done interviews and talked about the club and its history and big points on its history he understands what it is to be a United player.

So basically someone who's a fan of the club ?
    Most players I say most but not all know the history of clubs there joining ,

Also the whole "Insert Clubs name WAY " is such nonsense,
    For instance the United Way that Ole talks about is not really the United way , its without a shadow of a doubt the Fergie way ,

They won what 4 league titles in a 15 year period in the 1950s & 60 until he came along ,
    So they where pretty average before Fergie and pretty average since Fergie ,

All clubs United, Liverpool ,Arsenal,Barca , look back at there best period of wining trophies and say that the Cubs way, When in fact its just the time you where better than the rest.

Look at Liverpool chased the whole boot room ethos of the 80's for far to long instead of moving on and worrying about wining stuff in stead of worrying about the " Liverpool way"

• Advertisement

So basically someone who's a fan of the club ?
    Most players I say most but not all know the history of clubs there joining ,

Also the whole "Insert Clubs name WAY " is such nonsense,
    For instance the United Way that Ole talks about is not really the United way , its without a shadow of a doubt the Fergie way ,

They won what 4 league titles in a 15 year period in the 1950s & 60 until he came along ,
    So they where pretty average before Fergie and pretty average since Fergie ,

All clubs United, Liverpool ,Arsenal,Barca , look back at there best period of wining trophies and say that the Cubs way, When in fact its just the time you where better than the rest.

Look at Liverpool chased the whole boot room ethos of the 80's for far to long instead of moving on and worrying about wining stuff in stead of worrying about the " Liverpool way"

Don't agree. What ole is talking about the United way is different then what most fans say is the United way they think expansive attacking football is the United way I've never bought into that but what Ole is saying that man united should always be going into games with the believe they should win he is saying work on our game and leave opponents worry about us that mentality was in the club from Busby times.

Every club goes through periods of not winning but even when United ain't winning league's they are still winning cups. Yes they didn't win a leagues for 25 years before Fergie but they still won cups.

Big part of uniteds history is about Munich it's a firm believe that they would of won alot more and dominated from the 50s with that young team.

Don't agree. What ole is talking about the United way is different then what most fans say is the United way they think expansive attacking football is the United way I've never bought into that but what Ole is saying that man united should always be going into games with the believe they should win he is saying work on our game and leave opponents worry about us that mentality was in the club from Busby times.

Every club goes through periods of not winning but even when United ain't winning league's they are still winning cups. Yes they didn't win a leagues for 25 years before Fergie but they still won cups.

Big part of uniteds history is about Munich it's a firm believe that they would of won alot more and dominated from the 50s with that young team.

They won what 7 cups and 7 leagues in what over 90 years before Fergie, since there's been an Fa cup , then the league Cup and the second Europa league which is basically Europe's second division , (could be one or two off there )
    My point is there is no way of a club any club,

A Fergie way yep 100% , even then he changed tactics when he needed to , but the Fergie way was success,

They won what 7 cups and 7 leagues in what over 90 years before Fergie, since there's been an Fa cup , then the league Cup and the second Europa league which is basically Europe's second division , (could be one or two off there )

A Fergie way yep 100% , even then he changed tactics when he needed to , but the Fergie way was success,

Your equating winning trophies to a clubs philosophy that's not what any one is saying under Busby unites had mentality if always going out.ti play their game and believe they could win and leave the others to worry about United. That's what ole is saying is how united should always go into games.

Under Jose United adapted every game to try stop the opponent and get a win via mistakes that's not what United have ever done since Busby years. Even under Atkinson United were regarded as an entertaining cup side under managers after Busby we were a losing attacking side :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Also the underage set up also factors into the clubs philosophy.. been a graduate in every squad since 1938 (I think)

Looks like Thierry Henry could become available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Looks like Thierry Henry could become available

'Suspended' apparently. Surely there's no way back, this totally undermines him.

'Suspended' apparently. Surely there's no way back, this totally undermines him.

Bizarre approach unless they somehow decide to keep him on. Assistant manager taking training tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im hoping for a Spurs win to put even more pressure on Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Delighted to see henry fail at monaco.. crap pundit as well

The cold weather and impending fixture bring up memories of Man United 4 - 0 Arsenal from February 2008. I never stopped shivering that night up high in the East Stand, then the next day I got lost when I missed a train connection in a Welsh dive called Rhyl on my way back to Holyhead. It was all worth it though, especially to see 1) a Nani masterclass, and 2) Darren Fletcher score two decent goals in one game.

A 4-0 win tomorrow at the Emirates is a pipe dream for us, so I would take any win from our lads. The FA Cup is long and at times laborious, but I still rate it and would like to see the club do well in it. I certainly won't be 'Meh, now we concentrate on other things/Never wanted to win it anyway' if we're dumped out tomorrow. Finishing 3rd/4th in the league and a possible FA Cup win would be a decent and surprising return for the season given how shíte the first few months went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Would be a lot more than "decent" imo.

S.M.B. wrote: »

Well it would be great for the context I provided, but I can't be putting myself in the position where someone might quote a few words and twist it into 'Haha how the mighty have fallen' or some other bizarre small victory.

It would be very decent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Wonder is pochettino tired of getting so close yet so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Is Woodward a genius? Sack mouriho, then leak to the press we are interested in pochettino to de stabilize spurs in the second half of the season? Then hire ole.:pac::D

Speaking of captains today....

'Solskjaer: Pogba is captain material'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11616797

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Really can't wait for tonight.

No idea how we will do result wise but at least we go out and give it a go.

Anyway it's Arsenal, nothing to fear.

Bookies have us as favourites to qualify which is a bit odd. I know odds don't often equate with actual probabilities as bookies are out to make a profit but there's usually a pretty close correlation.

Bookies have us as favourites to qualify which is a bit odd. I know odds don't often equate with actual probabilities as bookies are out to make a profit but there's usually a pretty close correlation.

Arsenals defence is much worse than ours and our attack is in serious form.. will be hard for arsenal to stop rashford and pogba

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I'm still surprised that we are marginal favourites to qualify going into an away cup tie at the emirates.

Not saying that we have little or no chance. I would have thought Arsenal would be the marginal favourites is all. Especially off the back of their very good victory again Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Would like us to win tonight and not have extra game personallyif it eree a draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Well it’s been some turn around in fortunes in the last month. Despite in the past being a big supporter and defender of Jose, I knew his goose was cooked around the time of the first Newcastle game. Was pleasantly surprised the board made the decision when they did as I had fully resigned myself to a write off season and no champions league ball next year. Then enters Ole. An underwhelming appointment to say the least but given the time of the year and the lack of availability of most bigger name managers, an acceptable one, especially as it was only a short term appointment. A few wins against teams we should be beating, our enemies hurr de hurring “sign him up”, “give him a 10 year deal”, EL OH EL. Then Newcastle away. A tough fixture and a very disciplined win. Reading in the cup had a number of changes and while not exactly champagne stuff, it was a professional and comfortable win. Then Spurs away. A super first half with a stunning goal from Rashford followed by a nervy second half which on another day could have resulted in us conceding 2 or 3. Some called it lucky but as we have seen in the past, it’s a team game and that day everyone in the team pulled their weight. BRIGHTON last Saturday ended up being a bit nervier than it needed to be considering we were coasting but again, we were never under any real pressure from them. So 7 wins from 7 games, that’s a fairly decent return all things considered. I’ve had a bit of time on my hands so for shyts and giggles I had a look at the results of the first 7 competitive games of much more celebrated managers. Makes for some interesting reading.

Ole

Cardiff 1 - 5 Man Utd

Man Utd 3 - 1 Huddersfield

Man Utd 4 - 1 Bournemouth

Newcastle 0 - 2 Man Utd

Man Utd 2 - 0 Reading

Tottenham 0 - 1 Man Utd

Man Utd 2 - 1 Brighton

19 Scored, 5 conceded.

Mr Klopp

Liverpool 1:2 Crystal Palace

Rubin Kazan 0:1 Liverpool

Chelsea 1:3 Liverpool

Liverpool 1:0 Bournemouth

Liverpool 1:1 Southampton

Liverpool 1:1 Rubin Kazan

Spurs 0:0 Liverpool

8 Scored, 5 conceded

Mr Guardiola

Man City 4:0 Bor. M'gladbach

Man Utd 1:2 Man City

Man City 3:1 West Ham

Man City 1:0 Steaua Bucharest

Stoke City 1:4 Man City

Steaua Bucharest 0:5 Man City

Man City 2:1 Sunderland

21 Scored, 4 conceded

Mr Pochettino

West Ham 0 : 1 Spurs

AEL 1 : 2 Spurs

Spurs 4 : 0 QPR

Spurs 4 : 0 AEL

Spurs 0 : 3 Liverpool

Sunderland 2 : Spurs 2

Partizan 0 : 0 Spurs

13 Scored, 7 conceded

Mr Klopp came into a team that was floundering, player unrest under a manager that seemed devoid of any idea of how to stop the rot.

He had an ok first run of results considering where the team was prior to him taking the reins but of the games “they should have been winning”, they only won 2 out of 5. Lots of excuses were forthcoming for him though and I doubt Ole would have gotten much mercy for a similar return.

Mr Guardiola came into the best squad in the league, spent around £160,000,000, had a full pre-season under his belt and the club had a plan in place well before his arrival. His 7 wins were met with fawning platitudes, fans and the media alike only too eager to big him up, despite the bulk of the games being against teams “they should have been beating”.

Mr Pochettino had a full pre-season but spent a modest sum of around £40m during the summer. A spanking from LFC and a few poor draws against lesser opposition was an average at best start to his Spurs career.

Then there is Ole, the baby faced assassin. He came into a team that was lost, with rampant player unrest and a manager seemingly on a kamikaze mission. Our enemies scoffed but we have been quietly going about our business, no fanfare, no drama, no criticism of players or the board, 7 competent performances and 7 wins, all of a sudden going from being more or less out of the race for top 4 to being only 3 points off 4th. That’s pretty fcuking great.

The players look re-invigorated. Rashford who was bereft of confidence and like someone who wouldn’t be able to finish a sentence suddenly looks ruthless in front of goal. He still has a lot of work to do but the kid clearly has the natural gifts that under the right man, be that Ole or A.N. Other, could see him become a super star. Herrera’s performances have been slipping under the radar but he has played so so well over the last number of games. He’s always hassling and harrying, covers a huge amount of ground and is not afraid to get down and dirty when needed. The team needs him starting every game. Lindelof looks completely re-invented. Confident and assured in his possession, tackling and distribution, getting a Vidic type player to partner him would really help shore up our defense, though I still hold out some hope that Bailly could be the perfect foil for him. Pogba, I’ve been a heavy critic of his because of his attitude and lack of professionalism (I don’t give a bollox that he came back from the world cup 2 weeks early as that means the square root of fcuk all when analysing his performances for us) but he is finally showing on a consistent basis why we paid £90 odd million for him. He is clearly an elite athlete but has only really delivered for us in fits and starts. He still has a way to go to win my admiration but if he continues as he has been going for the last month then I’ll gladly give it to him. As much as the individuals mentioned above have shone, the demeanour of the team overall has shifted. The players actually look like a team, they look happy and to be enjoying their football. There is still lots of time for it all to go wrong and if things start dipping then our enemies will reappear but for now, you couldn’t really ask for any more from the players or the manager. The virtually overnight change in the players and performances illustrate just how toxic things had become under Jose. While I still hold the players accountable in some respects, its clear the bulk of the blame for the general discontent was coming as a result of JM and his actions.

If we do manage to get top 4 and maybe sneak an FA cup win then I’d be happy to see Ole get a contract extension. Our enemies will point and mewl at the Norwegian league or his tenure at Cardiff but the latter was and is a basket case of a club and at the former he managed to win two league titles in the face of the giant (relatively speaking) that is Rosenberg. Pep came out of nowhere to be given the Barca job and he is now one of the most preened over managers in the world. Anything is possible when the right man goes to the right club at the right time, look at Mr Ranieri and Leicester. There is a lot of ball to be played but for the moment I’m enjoying watching the team on a consistent basis rather than in dribs and drabs like under Mr Moyes, Mr VanGall or Jose. We can still have a big say in where the league title ends up, even if we aren’t in the running for it ourselves. A tough and hopefully cracking cup game against Arsenal awaits, bring it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

3-1 Utd

Then there is Ole, the baby faced assassin. He came into a team that was lost, with rampant player unrest and a manager seemingly on a kamikaze mission. Our enemies scoffed but we have been quietly going about our business, no fanfare, no drama, no criticism of players or the board, 7 competent performances and 7 wins, all of a sudden going from being more or less out of the race for top 4 to being only 3 points off 4th. That’s pretty fcuking great.

To be fair you have to look at the difference in squads ,Ole and Pep took over compared to Klopp and Poch

Ole has De gea , Pogba, Sanchez, Lakaku ,Rashford, Martial , Matic, Lingaurd (maybe) all considered top top players,

Pep had loads of world class players

Liverpool had who Couthino & at a push Firmino as he was still a winger and had hardly played a game at that stage ,So 1/2 players you'd call world class

Spurs had probably les than Liverpool just Eriksson really .

Makes a huge difference,

• First match for me n Fred Jr tonight

Hopefully Flashford scores a screamer so we can do a Banderes reaction together

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

First match for me n Fred Jr tonight

You for the Emirates? I'll wave at you from the home section :P

• Necro wrote: »
    You for the Emirates? I'll wave at you from the home section :P

Nah, I wish. More so from the couch and the basket :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

We are due a loss soon

I just cant see a United team winning 8 in a row going by the last 6 months.

Hope we smash them

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    We are due a loss soon

I just cant see a United team winning 8 in a row going by the last 6 months.

Hope we smash them

No loss tonight son..... no loss tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

DDG not travelling is an odd one - wonder if he is injured. I know it is a cup game, but none of the other squad selections (that we know of so far) scream that we are going with a weakened team.

None of the young lads (Gomes, Chong, Garner, Greenwood) have travelled, but they may be in the bad books after the Youth Cup loss (and reaction) the other night.

DDG not travelling is an odd one - wonder if he is injured. I know it is a cup game, but none of the other squad selections (that we know of so far) scream that we are going with a weakened team.

I remember during the spurs game that he went for a ball with Jones (I think) and he got clattered by him and he looked uneasy after it.

Maybe he has a small injury and they want to him to rest it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Does Sergio not normally play in the FA Cup anyway?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Does Sergio not normally play in the FA Cup anyway?

DDG started the semi & final last year. Romero used prior to that.

'Rossi rebuilding with 'Man Utd family''

http://www.skysports.com/share/11616991

United are a class club to support in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Are the March fixtures for the Premier League (TV) being announced today, does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The fcuking speed of Ronaldo there.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

20 years ago yesterday :D

Solskjaaaeeeerr!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Why did they have to use the MUTV versions with Paddy Crerand sucking the enjoyment out of them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement