Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 CB Longs.

Options
  • 23-12-2018 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭

I have been using .22 CB longs out to 15-20 yds but after that the accuracy goes to hell. They are all over the place. Is there any way of improving their accuracy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

Are you shooting from a rocking chair :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

Sorry . I've no clue what 22 cb longs are ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

its because their low velocity, you wouldnt expect great accuracy out of a .22lr @150-200 yards would you?, because a cb long @50 yards would be similar so a .22lr at that distance. their only really for very close in pest control.
    I tried em once and just went back to shooting subs:o, perhaps those CCI "quiet" rounds might be something worthwhile looking into to replace the cb longs?
    Also the .22lr is hardly a very ballistic coefficient round to begin with and the cb long bullet shape affects it even more so

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

I use them and find them very good. I only use them inside of sheds so distance isnt an issue. I did try .22 shorts once but they fouled up the chamber and caused extraction problems when I went back to lr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭minktrapper

its because their low velocity, you wouldnt expect great accuracy out of a .22lr @150-200 yards would you?, because a cb long @50 yards would be similar so a .22lr at that distance. their only really for very close in pest control.
    I tried em once and just went back to shooting subs:o, perhaps those CCI "quiet" rounds might be something worthwhile looking into to replace the cb longs?
    Also the .22lr is hardly a very ballistic coefficient round to begin with and the cb long bullet shape affects it even more so

They are more powerful than an air rifle pellet and an air rifle pellet has enough energy to put a pellet in a 1 Euro sized circle constantly at 40 yds. So why shouldn't a .22 bullet not be able to do the same. I actually find .22 cb longs quieter than an air rifle.

• Advertisement

They are more powerful than an air rifle pellet and an air rifle pellet has enough energy to put a pellet in a 1 Euro sized circle constantly at 40 yds. So why shouldn't a .22 bullet not be able to do the same. I actually find .22 cb longs quieter than an air rifle.

Everythings a nail when you have a hammer doesnt mean you should treat it as such. CB longs have their place, air rifles have their place your asking more out of your 22 than is practical sure it can go as low of a ft/lb as a air rifle dont expect it to be a air rifle though.
    My point is this its not designed to shoot .22 CB longs all day its meant for .22lr ammo. some .22 air rifles go as slow as a 1in22" twist rate though most admittedly are 1in16" just like a .22lr
    My point on the projectile
    519491ff30c23f8f6c21a9a131475f3472f187d3.jpg
    Note the cb long is a domed conical heeld bullet not exactly very aerodynamic
    nextda839ce7517a84945ba592d00abb2f01.jpg look at a air rifle pellet
    Theres quite a difference in shape the air rifle pellet has been designed for low speed the cb long is just a close quarter varminting tool
    Your comparing apples with oranges here.. you cant expect so much out of such a already versatile cartridge.

Can't argue with you there. Maybe it needs redesigning a little to improve it's performance at slower speeds. I used to get really good performance from Eley shorts. They do travel faster than the cb longs though. And they are heavier.

Can't argue with you there. Maybe it needs redesigning a little to improve it's performance at slower speeds. I used to get really good performance from Eley shorts. They do travel faster than the cb longs though. And they are heavier.

I would try the CCI 40grain QUIET ammo seen some in a dealer a while back a 40grain bullet going @710fps perhaps it would work well for what your at? i haven't tried it myself but it could be worth a try ?

You might be correct. The bigger projectile might remain more stable for a longer period.

Advertisement