Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSA license restrictions?

Options
  • 23-12-2018 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

First I'll just apologise in advance that I don't have all the details of this story but I am dealing with second hand information. When I get more I'll try to update things.

-My uncle has been working as a security guard for 20+ years and is well past pension age.
    -He currently has a PSA license that is due for renewal in mid January.
    -The renewal procedure for PSA licenses has switched to online only since he renewed three years ago
    -He isn't computer literate so hasn't renewed his license yet and asked his employer for assistance in renewing
    The following is where details are still unclear
    -He appears to have been told by his employer that his license won't be renewed due to his age and that he'll be finishing up when his license expires
    -I'm not sure if they told him that the PSA won't renew his license or if it's the company refusing to help him due to age.

I only got the story from my mother this evening but the whole thing seems dodgy as hell to me. I've contacted the PSA for information regarding age restrictions on licenses but I don't expect to hear anything until New Year's. If his age was an issue why didn't the company tell him in advance not to try and renew his license? Also why wasn't he told that when he passed the age threshold that seems to have appeared suddenly? I can't see any age restrictions on the PSA site so I fear that his employer is just using the license as a way to get rid of him and bring in someone new for less money or someone the supervisor likes more.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Has he any medical problems that might have got back to management? I know from my job that the insurance company of the place he works (not the company he works for if he is 3rd party) can cause problems with over 65s and health issues.

We had to let people go for that reason alone. They were not covered if something happened in work. (Long story that I will not repeat as it may identity people).

His PSA expiring might be a good time for him to call it a day. If he can provide a note from his doctor to say he is fit to continue working, he should not have a problem renewing his PSA and getting work elsewhere.

Insurance is an issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I think he missed a few days earlier this year with a cold but apart from that his health is fine. I'd be more worried about his health if he is forced to retire as he is a bachelor who doesn't get out much bar going to the odd GAA match.

It's the timing of things that strikes me as wrong. If age was the issue then surely around his birthday was the time to raise it and let him go? There was no warning from his supervisor that this was coming. It was only when he asked for help with the license that this bombshell was dropped. One of his co-workers received information from the company saying they could handle renewals which was why he then approached the company for help instead of one of us.

I'm just wondering that if I help him renew his license can the company still get rid of him? Almost as important is if he is able to renew directly then what action, if any, could be taken against the company for possibly misleading him about the license?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

https://www.psa.gov.ie

https://www.psa.gov.ie/en/PSA/Fit%20&%20Proper%20Guidelines%20(Approved%20March%202012).pdf/Files/Fit%20&%20Proper%20Guidelines%20(Approved%20March%202012).pdf

Nothing about age there.

Scroll down to the "Private Security Services Acts 2004 and 2011" section and read the law too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

There is no reason why you could not help him renew it himself and find other work.

Does he work for a third party company at a premises or is he employed directly by the premises?

The reason I ask is because while there is no apparent age restrictions on getting a PSA licence, Insurance companies can get funny about older people working in a premises due to the nature of the work.

They can turn round and say "Joe Bloggs is no longer covered by the policy as there are concerns about his age and the nature of the work". That will leave the premises liable if something happens to him while in work. But if the person can provide a medical cert to say they are fit to work, then there should be no problem.

If he is going to get bored, what about volunteering to work as a steward at GAA matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Thanks for your answers. I spoke to him during Christmas and he has accepted he'll be finishing up in January. He just has no interest in fighting his employer over this and I didn't want to put pressure on him in case it led to arguments over the Christmas break.

The whole thing still seems a bit off to me and I know his co-workers aren't impressed with how things have been handled but if he doesn't want to fight it then that's case closed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement