Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough cost to complete partially built house

Options
  • 23-12-2018 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I'm looking for a few pointers here. We've seen a house for sale locally (west of the country) that has a roof, windows and doors but not much else. I wasn't able to get the floor plan dimensions from the auctioneer and have yet to see inside the house. From the look of it, it's an average 4 bedroom dormor with a main bathroom and one ensuite.

Only the sub-floor is in and no plumbing or wiring has been done. The exterior has been plastered. The house has been in this state for 7 years, so it'll need a detailed engineers survey.

I know my post is lacking detail, but before we go down the road of spending money on engineers, etc. it would be great to get a rough idea of the following, so we'll know if it's worth pursuing or maybe it'd be better to walk away. Any pointers appreciated.

What's needed:

Septic system

ESB connection (around 2.5 - 3k I think)

Water connection to local scheme (runs along road in front of house)

Interior plumbing: Kitchen, main bathroom and ensuite. We'd hope to go with one power-shower and one electric.

Heating (TBD)

Flooring. Tiles in bathroom and kitchen. Wood in the 4 bedrooms. We could start with just 2 bedrooms and leave the rest for later

Insulation

Interior plastering

I'm not worried about landscaping or painting for now as I can do that myself as time allows and I can also price kitchen, furnishings, white goods easily enough.

Thanks in advance and Happy Christmas.

Vinny.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

It has a roof, windows and doors but no walls or floor? Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PucaMor

I forgot to mention the anti-gravity mechanism that allows the windows and roof to float in mid-air.

There are no finished floors - just sub-floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

PucaMor wrote: »
    I forgot to mention the anti-gravity mechanism that allows the windows and roof to float in mid-air.

There are no finished floors - just sub-floors.

Tut tut.

I haven't got a clue by the way, sorry.

If you can find the house on Google Earth, you can use the measuring tool to get fairly precise dimensions. After that, I'm sure someone here could give the going rate on the materials needed for X square metres and the labour cost of putting it together.

That's a good tip on Google Earth - I'll check it out. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,558 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

T-Maxx wrote:

Lol, I presume this guy will be ready to go immediately as there would be nobody else hiring him at that price to finish a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

T-Maxx wrote: »

West of Ireland, not dalkey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Check the county council planning applications, you should find the plans there. Should show the waste water treatment requirements also.

mayota wrote: »
    Check the county council planning applications, you should find the plans there. Should show the waste water treatment requirements also.

Thanks, mayota. I'll have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

eagle eye wrote: »
    Lol, I presume this guy will be ready to go immediately as there would be nobody else hiring him at that price to finish a house.

I wouldn't be laughing to much there lad , put a quote in yerself if you think it's laughable .
    Personally I reckon 150k could finish it to an B1 ber depending on spec .
    So 200k wouldn't be far off for A2 spec and quality finishes regardless if it's in dalkey or dunmore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭893bet

20 K for plumbing/heating
    12 k electrical
    8k stairs
    5-10k tiling
    10k floor insulation and pour
    5-10k wall/attic insulation
    10k second fix carpentry
    15k kitchen
    10k Septic tank and associated works
    10k plastering