Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for 2 cars

Options
  • 23-12-2018 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

I am going to insure 2 cars with 2 separate insurance policies in my own name.
    If I was unfortunate to have an incident with one car and made a claim, would I lose my no claims bonus on both policies as both would be in my name?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 p33

normanbond wrote: »
    If I was unfortunate to have an incident with one car and made a claim, would I lose my no claims bonus on both policies as both would be in my name?

I think you might. Also If you have a full no claims bonus, you can only use it on one policy. You can’t spread it over both policies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Separate policies, so accident on one will not effect the no claims bonus on the other.
    You still need to declare the claim when renewing your other policy, but shouldn't be an issue if you have no claims for that policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

normanbond wrote: »

Each policy and each claim is separate, with it's own NCB, and the other policy is not affected.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

But if the OP wants to get a quote from a different insurance company, s/he would be obliged to declare a claim on either of the existing policies. So it's all very well saying that you keep each NCB separate, your insurance company still can screw you after just one claim on one of the policies because they know that you won't be able to go elsewhere.

coylemj wrote: »
    But if the OP wants to get a quote from a different insurance company, s/he would be obliged to declare a claim on either of the existing policies. So it's all very well saying that you keep each NCB separate, your insurance company still can screw you after just one claim on one of the policies because they know that you won't be able to go elsewhere.

Assuming we are still taking about renewing the second, non claim policy.

Yes you declare it, but no, it's not going to screw you over. Your policy ends and you have a 1/2/full no claims bonus on it and that is what the other insurance company will base their quote on, you'll actually find the declare won't hurt you at all, this is from experience, plenty of people with more than 1 policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Snotty wrote: »
    Assuming we are still taking about renewing the second, non claim policy.

Yes you declare it, but no, it's not going to screw you over. Your policy ends and you have a 1/2/full no claims bonus on it and that is what the other insurance company will base their quote on, you'll actually find the declare won't hurt you at all, this is from experience, plenty of people with more than 1 policy.

They will still give the discount but the base premium will be adjusted to take account of the claims experience. An NCB is not a guarantee that the premium won’t increase.

Marcusm wrote: »
    They will still give the discount but the base premium will be adjusted to take account of the claims experience. An NCB is not a guarantee that the premium won’t increase.

Nothing is guaranteed with insurance renewals, phone around as normal and very easy to tell if you're getting a loading, just need 2 calls, first one leaving the claim out.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Better to ask a local insurer regarding fleet insurance. Yes, in fleet insurance you can get insurance for more than one vehicle. However, I am not sure whether it is only for commercial vehicles or also give coverage for personal cars too.

Advertisement