Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog attack on sheep

• 24-12-2018 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Uncle had a dog attack on his sheep the other night , one ewe may not make it I'm not sure how many were bit , a couple of neighbours had their sheep attacked too. Lads were out lamping that night a neighbour said, so it was probably lads out illegally poaching deer and the dogs just were just let run at everything they saw. Absolutely sickening leading up to Christmas. This area never had had a dog attack before .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭arctictree

Heard of our cultured friends just throwing lurchers over the ditch and then coming in a bit later with lamps to see what was killed. Disgraceful carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

Rotten to the core. I was just saying luckily he didn't have his weanlings out on the hill. The uncle said alot of the neighbours sheep were grabbed by the throats but weren't killed .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

farming93 wrote: »
    Rotten to the core. I was just saying luckily he didn't have his weanlings out on the hill. The uncle said alot of the neighbours sheep were grabbed by the throats but weren't killed .

The reality is if they were in lamb ewes if they got a bad chasing the post traumatic stress will cause abortions and leave some ewes lambing mixed up lambs from all the unintended movement of twins etc in their stomachs:(

Had a case of it close by here a few years back,around 15 ewes involved,only half of them lambed correctly after the attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Bit quick to blame lads out hunting, dont know any hunting dog that would grab a sheep by the neck. Unless you're talking about our ethnic minority group out lamping with lurchers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

aaakev wrote: »
    Bit quick to blame lads out hunting, dont know any hunting dog that would grab a sheep by the neck. Unless you're talking about our ethnic minority group out lamping with lurchers?

Thats what my money would be on - had to run some of those types back in August during the week of the town fair in Belmullet.

• Advertisement

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Thats what my money would be on - had to run some of those types back in August during the week of the town fair in Belmullet.

We caught them one night years ago at tje same craic when we were out lamping. Didn't end well.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Seen a few lads at it a few days back , 3 lads with 4 or 5 dogs. Was driving home about 11pm and seen them loading the dogs back into the van and it looked like they had a few rabbits.
    I rang a few of the neighbours who would have sheep around. They weren’t long disappearing when a few locals turned up.

Whoever it was were out lamping the night it happend in the fields where the sheep were, the neighbours seen the lights I don't know if it was the ethnic minority or not but it definitely wasn't the regular lads who hunt and who pride themselves in respecting livestock. I'm not condoning decent hunting folk in any way in case you think I was but some lads shouldn't be let next or near lurchers if they can't control them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

What part of the country op

Wicklow

• Advertisement

farming93 wrote: »
    some lads shouldn't be let next or near lurchers if they can't control them.

No argument there lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Well my father sat for 4 hours with a double barrel under his arm on Sunday because there was up till 6 men 2 on quads and a lot off dogs in nearby fields and trees close till were our in lamb ewes are waiting for a dog till come on till our land so he could shoot it... they didn't but you'd think men would have more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Lambman wrote: »
    Well my father sat for 4 hours with a double barrel under his arm on Sunday because there was up till 6 men 2 on quads and a lot off dogs in nearby fields and trees close till were our in lamb ewes are waiting for a dog till come on till our land so he could shoot it... they didn't but you'd think men would have more sense.

Some secure fencing would be more sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Hoboo wrote: »

Fences wont stop a dog. I have a kelpie and he can clear 5ft.

Ppl should control their dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Fences wont stop a dog. I have a kelpie and he can clear 5ft.

Ppl should control their dogs.

Do here us only 18 months and would jump over my head if i let him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Hoboo wrote: »

FFS.

Pikeys can climb fences you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Do here us only 18 months and would jump over my head if i let him

Aye its unreal what he can go over. Thought he would traimln the collie but he will only go under fences.

How do u find them to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Aye its unreal what he can go over. Thought he would traimln the collie but he will only go under fences.

How do u find them to work?

Hes not a kelpie only a collie. We dont have enough work for a dog tbh but hes great company too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The worst attack I had was by a lurcher, which was being walked by its very cultured , clueless, artist, lady owner, to walk through the lambs afterwards it just looked like they had slight cuts on there necks, got the vet out to stitch them and 5 had to be put down, they were only bitten on the neck

The worst attack I had was by a lurcher, which was being walked by its very cultured , clueless, artist, lady owner, to walk through the lambs afterwards it just looked like they had slight cuts on there necks, got the vet out to stitch them and 5 had to be put down, they were only bitten on the neck

Iv seen the results of a few dog attacks and witnessed one. Only once or twice the dogs bit the sheep, mostly clueless idiots like the woman you mentioned who cant control their dogs and they take off after the sheep. I had to put a sheep down one day after it ran into a wire fence and did itself serious damage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Lambman wrote: »

Is there deer in your area?? The reason I ask is cos Wicklow has suffered from organized gangs of poachers targetting wild venison. The fact that they had quads with them would suggests a serious operation. If thats the case I would get the NPWS and or Gardai involved as it sounds like it might be too much for a few landowners to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Na donegal birdnuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

There's a video of lurchers attacking a ram near Clonmel on today's Irish Mirror website.

Gardai are investigating.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭White Clover

There's a video of lurchers attacking a ram near Clonmel on today's Irish Mirror website.

I couldn't bring myself to watch it. If I caught someone filming my sheep being attacked, I'd do time for my actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

That they would record it and post it online is just mind boggling.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

they're not blessed with brains. I was wondering if the gaurds were involved with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

There is to nothing to investigate, the video is very clear, the dogs are attacking the sheep, the men are egging the dogs on, the men’s names are visible on the top of the screen, but like the many horse cruelty issues in this area nothing will be done as our ethnic minority friends can do no wrong in this region. They should be prosecuted but they won’t !!
    By the way the poor sheep is still alive but badly injured, or so I have been told.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

Dog attack here few years ago, two Rottweilers & a terrier. They just grabbed large pedigree ewes by the neck, once dead moved onto the next.
    Got lucky as brother in law walked into field same time as dogs did, but by time got guns from house only 400 yards away had 12 dead. Lost 20 between ones had to put down, sudden deaths over next few weeks & stock ram that just pinned away over next 10 months. Didn’t track slipped lambs just didn’t have heart for it

Wouldn’t wish it on anyone it’s horrid thing to happen, any dog can either attack or bring other dogs to sheep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I see a businessman in Donegal has to pay a sheep farmer €10,000 for an attack on pedigree sheep by two unlicensed Alsatians.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/dog-owner-ordered-to-pay-10-000-for-sheep-attack-474280

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

https://www.gov.ie/en/consultation/a73d88-public-consultation-on-a-review-of-measures-relating-to-the-control-/
    Theres currently a consultation underway to see if they should change the laws around dogs.
    I'd say a few here would have important views to share with the decision makers.

Advertisement