Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Robinson and the Princess

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Soft enough interview from Ryan, but I don't think he avoided any hard questions tbh.

Mary acknowledged straight out that she let her heart rule her head, she was duped into doing/seeing what the royals wanted, and that she should have done better. She was genuinely contrite.

She's 77 this year. Unfair I think for a previous poster to claim she's ill based on a 3rd hand guess from a friend. But you can tell she doesn't have the energy she did in the past.

She was probably hoping at this stage of her life to spend her time reading and just providing advice , but now feels obliged to get actively involved in righting this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

seamus wrote: »
    Soft enough interview from Ryan, but I don't think he avoided any hard questions tbh.

Mary acknowledged straight out that she let her heart rule her head, she was duped into doing/seeing what the royals wanted, and that she should have done better. She was genuinely contrite.

She's 77 this year. Unfair I think for a previous poster to claim she's ill based on a 3rd hand guess from a friend. But you can tell she doesn't have the energy she did in the past.

She was probably hoping at this stage of her life to spend her time reading and just providing advice , but now feels obliged to get actively involved in righting this issue.
    He should have asked why she waiting till now to go public, but it was a fair interview, or the bits of that I saw seemed fair - he really didn't let her off the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

seamus wrote: »

I thought she came across as very shook and her admission that the Free Latifa campaign want nothing to do her with spoke volumes. Its clear she is under heavy fire and being made a pariah in the human rights community and to be honest who could blame them after she got duped so badly and the subsequent consequences for Latifa because of it.

Robinson has been so extraordinarily naive its just hard to believe really. At the time she flew to Dubai for the now infamous lunch she knew Latifa had been forceably kidnapped in the Indian Ocean by commandos off the yacht she escaped on. This was all in the public domain and reported by every major news outlet at the time of the kidnapping. Latifas personal fitness trainer was also kidnapped off the boat and after her release she gave interviews saying Latifa wanted to escape the clutches of her father. From all the evidence available at the time it is quite literally a stonewall case of kidnapping.

Yet Robinson somehow decided to believe a story that she was just being brought back to Dubai because they Sheik was concerned about her mental health and that he really loves her, etc.This despite all the media reporting what had happened in the Indian Ocean and Robinson already knowing he had form in this regard from the kidnapping of Princess Shamsa in Cambridge in 2000.

I just dont get it, like how could Robinson literally not see what is in front of her?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Ridiculous really from Robinson given her background, and nigh on inexcusable. Former High Commsioner of Human Rights no less. The UAE have a horrendous record in that respect and - as pointed out - much of this family's sordid history is a matter of public record.

This goes beyond naivety into a sort of delusion in Robinson's part. Saying she should have known better doesn't really cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Ridiculous really from Robinson given her background, and nigh on inexcusable. Former High Commsioner of Human Rights no less. The UAE have a horrendous record in that respect and - as pointed out - much of this family's sordid history is a matter of public record.

This goes beyond naivety into a sort of delusion in Robinson's part. Saying she should have known better doesn't really cover it.

Anytime now we will have the media luvies like O Callaghan and O Connor wheeled out to defend her and say " its all a male plot to undermine Robinson"
    Elbows McGuinness tried to get away with it in Brussels after the Article 26 fiasco.
    "No one told me it was happening" is not excusable from political leaders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Mary is essentially a kidnapper

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Claonadh1

Given her lack of judgement, is she still an "Elder"?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

photo of latifa out at mall with 2 women https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-57204775 doubts she free though

some more photos of her out on other occasions https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/princess-latifa-free-as-lawyers-target-dubai-sheikh-gp2h9jcq0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭ForestFire

photo of latifa out at mall with 2 women https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-57204775 doubts she free though

How many other people do you see in this busy mall?!....Even accounting for covid...

Probably taken at 4 in the morning, with her two friends (are they reliable?), Her prison officers, sorry I mean her royal security team, the photographer, oh and that one guy you can see in the background that open the door for them on short notice :-)

• lovely cuddly smiles.

:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Well at least it is the proof of life that the UNHCR were demanding but it is little else. The two 'friends' in the photo are refusing to comment, they'll know their stay in Dubai depends on keeping their mouths shut about what is going on in the background. No mention of who took the photograph either, probably the security detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

in Spain now but how much security https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/0621/1229528-dubai-princess-latifa/ would or could she leave them permanently?

Advertisement