Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade for Oculus Rift

Options
  • 25-12-2018 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭

Santa brought me an unexpected Oculus Rift! So unexpected that I need to upgrade my ageing computer to use it...

Currently running the following (from a 2013 build) :

Intel Core i5-4670K
    MSI Z87-G55
    8GB G.Skill Ares
    Sapphire 7950 Vapor-x

Would an upgrade get the Rift running acceptably, or is it new build time?

I know the GPU is on its last legs (had to do a reflow a few months back), so that definitely needs a change. A quick search also showed me the CPU is a VR bottleneck. Would the motherboard handle a better CPU or is that another upgrade?

I can't afford a whole new build at the moment. What would I need to upgrade to get the Rift running and not return the gift to Amazon Santa like an asshole?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

sugarman wrote: »
    A cheap RX 580 would do the job.

I was going to say 570 And a second hand i7 could be a decent upgrade. Each generation is only going up by 10% ish in performance so you need to factor that into price. Newer generations aren't really worth the cost anymore unless it's a similar price to the previous generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

just a new graphics card I would say as I have been using my Vive on a i5-2500k build up until recently with an R9 39 with no issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Stable framerate is critical in VR compared to normal games, so an upgrade to a 2nd hand i7-4790 for €120 isn't a bad option either, though most VR games should be fine on an overclocked 4670K. Yes a Ryzen 1600 is 'only' €160 but that requires a new motherboard and new DDR4 ram as well, so its a much bigger deal.

GPU wise it just depends on your budget, a RX580 8GB is a nice upgrade, a 1070Ti would be a huge one and ideal for VR.

sugarman wrote: »
    Not really, if you're going to be spending €150-200 on a 4 year old second hand i7.. youd be better off buying a Ryzen 1600x or similar for less than €150 new and selling the old CPU, motherboard and RAM for say €180ish. You'd get a decent AM4 board and 8GB DDR4 for that, meaning you wouldn't be anymore out of pocket.

Cex sell those processors for 120 with two year warranty. Pop it in and job done.

It's not the same cost though. Replacing the 4670K with a 4770 or 4790 would cost €120, you'd get €70 back for the 4670K, so the actual cost is €50 and it's a 5 minute hassle free job to boot.

The other option is roughly a €150 extra cost (1600X, decent B350M + 8GB 3000Mhz) and much more effort because you've to rebuild your machine.

If the budget is limited it makes way more sense to just get an i7-4790 for a total outlay of €50 and get the best GPU with the funds leftover. From the OP it doesn't sound like he has a lot of money to drop on both.

It could be the difference between an i7-4790 + GTX1070 or a Ryzen 1600X + RX580. The first combo is going to run rings around the second one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement