Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help identifying oil leak in Audi A4 B8 TDI (photos)

Options
  • 25-12-2018 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the following.
    I was changing the oil on my 2008 Audi A4 B8 TDI CAGA 2.0l saloon when I noticed that there appeared to be oil on the sump in two places.
    One was localised to the drain bolt so I wasnt worried about that, I can just make sure to tighten the bolt.
    However, there appeared to be a larger blotch on the side wall on the opposite side. It went from the underside up as far as the bolts for the sump pan. It could have gone further but I coulrnt really tell.
    I gave the underside engine bay cover a look but there didnt seem to be too much oil on it, so the flow must be small for now.

However, in case it escalates, would anyone have a suggestion of what could be causing the issue and how to go about fixing it? Ive attached a couple of photos.

468838.JPG

In the time being, I was going to powerwash the underside and leave it for a day or two to see if I can see more easily where the leak is coming from.

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi Folks,
    I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the following.
    I was changing the oil on my 2008 Audi A4 B8 TDI CAGA 2.0l saloon when I noticed that there appeared to be oil on the sump in two places.
    One was localised to the drain bolt so I wasnt worried about that, I can just make sure to tighten the bolt.
    However, there appeared to be a larger blotch on the side wall on the opposite side. It went from the underside up as far as the bolts for the sump pan. It could have gone further but I coulrnt really tell.
    I gave the underside engine bay cover a look but there didnt seem to be too much oil on it, so the flow must be small for now.

However, in case it escalates, would anyone have a suggestion of what could be causing the issue and how to go about fixing it? Ive attached a couple of photos.

468838.JPG

In the time being, I was going to powerwash the underside and leave it for a day or two to see if I can see more easily where the leak is coming from.

Thanks!
    Crush washer needs changed I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Just to follow up, it turned out that the leak was coming from both the throttle body and the EGR valve. I bought and replaced both along with a second hand intake manifold while I was at it.

They were caked in about 3mm of soot. The second hand intake manifold was better, but still covered in soot. So I left it in a bucket of water and washing powder for a weekend to soften it out, and cleaned it by hand then.

You will need a copy of VCDS software and a cable to instruct the car to purge the fuel lines when you are done as you will have to disconnect them during the installation.

There doesnt appear to be any leaks now, and the MPG seems to have improved, which is great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Just to follow up, it turned out that the leak was coming from both the throttle body and the EGR valve. I bought and replaced both along with a second hand intake manifold while I was at it.

They were caked in about 3mm of soot. The second hand intake manifold was better, but still covered in soot. So I left it in a bucket of water and washing powder for a weekend to soften it out, and cleaned it by hand then.

You will need a copy of VCDS software and a cable to instruct the car to purge the fuel lines when you are done as you will have to disconnect them during the installation.

There doesnt appear to be any leaks now, and the MPG seems to have improved, which is great.

I cleaned my transporter manifold using the below technique. It's fun too!
    https://youtu.be/xIijYgvxW0g

Advertisement