Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top rib of beef

Options
  • 25-12-2018 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭

Hey guys
    I’ve a top rib of beef in the freezer
    I know it needs a bit off slow cooking
    Can you hit me with a few recipes you would recommend
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,607 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is it on the bone?

If so 220 for 20 mins and 20 mins per kg at 180 for medium. Rest in tinfoil for 20 mins. Its a Mary Berry recipe.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Is it on the bone?

If so 220 for 20 mins and 20 mins per kg at 180 for medium. Rest in tinfoil for 20 mins. Its a Mary Berry recipe.

It’s not rib of beef - it’s top rib
    I’d love to cook it rare but I think it’s a tougher cut off beef

foodaholic wrote: »
    It’s not rib of beef - it’s top rib
    I’d love to cook it rare but I think it’s a tougher cut off beef

Low and slow- 160c - top rib is aka housekeepers cut- but seal and brown all round on a frying pan first to keep it juicy- smear olive oil on it first -you’re talking about 1 hour per kg plus additional 30 mins in the oven

Just steal anything that takes your fancy from general beef rib recipes - garlic red wine mustard rub honey chili - it’s all delicious with beef - I’d be a red wine fan with this sort of meat

Low and slow- 160c - top rib is aka housekeepers cut- but seal and brown all round on a frying pan first to keep it juicy- smear olive oil on it first -you’re talking about 1 hour per kg plus additional 30 mins in the oven

Just steal anything that takes your fancy from general beef rib recipes - garlic red wine mustard rub honey chili - it’s all delicious with beef - I’d be a red wine fan with this sort of meat

Thanks
    I’m partial to red wine myself ;-p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If you cook it rare you will still be chewing it in the New Year. ;)

I'd oil it, & season it & put it on a bed of roughly chopped onions & woody herbs like thyme or rosemary, & a handful of garlic cloves. Pop it into a scorching oven for 20 mins. Turn after 10 mins to brown evenly.

Turn the heat down to 120C, pour in 250ml of red wine or dark beer/ale & 250ml of beef stock. Cover your roasting pan in tin foil & make the seal airtight so the beef steams in the cooking liquor.

Depending on the size of the joint - braise for 3 to 4 hours. Take the meat out & wrap in foil & a tea towel & rest for 45 mins while you cook your roasties.

Strain the cooking liquor into a pot & boil hard to reduce by half. Then add a tbsp of flour, a couple of cubes of butter & a splash of ruby port (if you have it) to finish off your gravy.

Don't bother trying to slice the beef when serving - it should fall apart & can be dished up in chunks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I have just that in my slow cooker right now, I sear it, then rub in a bit of horseradish a bit of salt and pepper, chop an onion a clove of garlic, put the lot on slow cooker, and will look at it in about 6 to 7 hrs, and I can assure you it will be beautiful, melt in your mouth, have done it before, and everyone loves it, I do not put liquid in, it creates its own, and makes a lovely gravy when I take it out, I use cornflour, and a dash of red wine, stir and strain, easy peasy
    no large oven on all day, and a better result,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

goat2 wrote: »
    I have just that in my slow cooker right now,

I thought you had prime rib in your slow cooker?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I thought you had prime rib in your slow cooker?

Sorry, yes I did have prime rib in my slow cooker, but the crowd like theirs well don't, so this is why I put it in the slow cooker, it was lovely

Hillbilly do you want to come over and cook it for me 😂😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd rub it all over with coarse salt, ground black pepper and garlic granules and cook it long and slow. About a teaspoon of each. I do this with the rib on the bone from Aldi and it's delicious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement