Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you find attractive?

• 25-12-2018 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Don't think I've seen a thread like this here but mods please move if not!
    My friends and I were talking about those little things you notice which make someone go from meh to something a bit more interesting.

What does it for you?
    As a woman, I can't resist broad shoulders and a guy who can drive really well 😳

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

My mirror...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Yoga pants on a woman.

Glasses

Nice perfume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

A good voice. I heard some presenter on a radio show and thought they sounded hot. I looked them up and realised why they were on radio and not tv lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

What I like in a woman :

A nice ass
    A nice personality
    Brains

What I do not like in a woman :

OTT feminism & liberalism
    A woman who is married to her job
    A woman whose life revolves around social media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

They all look the same face down in the pillow. *

*Except the pimply arsed ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Don't mean to brag but I can do a well executed handbrake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Boobs that can breast feed a creche (and since this is AH I have to qualify that they must be on a real biological woman).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

When she carries an emergency packet of Monster Munch in her handbag.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Esse85 wrote: »
    Yoga pants on a woman.
    Depends entirely on the lady in question and ones personal taste as far as padding goes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Don't mean to brag but I can do a well executed handbrake

You might also want to try a hand brake turn.

+1 for glasses on a girl, can look sensational.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

What I really look for is the ability to not take everything so seriously, a fantastic sense of humour (not a good one, they usually have one or two things you can't joke about), and not materialistic. Things that would make me think twice would be how much they like soaps, if they're really into fashion or labels, if they get offended on behalf of other people...

None of this matters, i'm going to be single for the rest of my life. Not by choice, technically, more out of lack of effort and comfort in my own little bubble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭oceanman

What I like in a woman :

A nice ass
    A nice personality
    Brains

What I do not like in a woman :

OTT Feminism & Liberalism
    A woman who is married to her job
    A woman who has no interest in having children
    second that....well except for the children bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Those two dents at the bottom of a woman's back.
    Nice hands (on a woman again)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Man with high expectations seeks woman with low expectations.

Move along, nothing to see here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

As you get older you look for different things than from when you were in your 20's, now the 1st thing I look at is the wedding finger to see if I am wasting my time, I am getting old :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actual answer, after a feed of Chrimbo dinner and a few ales? Looks are subjective, but...

The Happy Gene™ is a biggie. I've zero patience left - and by god I served my time - for the dramatics and emotionals and trying to deal with one ditzy "problem" after another.

Intelligence. Particularly wide ranging intelligence and interests. On a near daily basis I'd meet women who make me look like the dribbling gimp I am on a narrow field of expertise, but I have found wide ranging intelligence and interests rare enough.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I like brains, sturdiness (mental and physical), an ability to not take oneself too seriously, an even tempered nature, and twinkly eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

A friendly smile with mischievous eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Confidence and someone who actually says what they want (be that where they want to go to, who they want to visit, what's for dinner etc..)

For that reason most of my partners have been English women who are confident and straight forward. I (as an Irish bloke) cannot stand the self depreciating , mind **** meakness that is prevelant in this country.

"Dub Dubs" are a rare exception

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Small feet ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

-Self-awareness: so fcuking important. I don't care how fcuked up someone is as long as they're aware of and working on it.
    -Emotional Maturity
    -Good sense of humour - i.e. an intelligent, witty sense of humour
    -Kindness
    -Confidence and assertiveness (without being an asshole)
    -ability to have and hold interesting conversation

-The whole "I just came in from chopping down trees" look
    -Broad enough shoulders/strong looking (i.e. just not very slim built)
    -Stubble/Beard, not really into the clean-shaven look
    -not adverse to a few well-done tattoos either :)

I've dated really hot guys lacking in emotional maturity etc., and guys who had all the above character traits but just didn't do it for me physically. So I wouldn't say I value one type of attractiveness over the others, they're equally important and sometimes you find yourself attracted to someone you'd never have thought you'd be into. Finding the middle ground is the sweet spot I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Jessie Belle

Blue eyes.

I used to have very different ideas when I was younger. Some of them were fairly rigid and of the "I would never" variety. Life is funny though and as we age and go through stuff then those ideas can change. My 30 yr old self would probably be horrified that I'm in a relationship with a politically right leaning man. Or that little things that once mattered to me just don't anymore.

For me I value intelligence and integrity. Kindness is important too but its ok if you aren't always like that and forget. Open minded and unafraid of being who you are. The ability to be vulnerable and fearless in your feelings (himself needs to keep working on that one).

The physical is all about the old chestnut, height. I do like a tall man. With a head of hair but ok if not. The rest? well sure throw in a nice pair of hands, and arms that can wrap me up in a massive hug :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I (as an Irish bloke) cannot stand the self depreciating , mind **** meakness that is prevelant in this country

Thankfully not my experience of Irish women.

A nice figure is a given, but beautiful eyes ftw

Actually, a woman who can tell a story without me nodding from politeness, while thinking of ways to fake a fainting fit to get out of listening all the way to the inevitable non punchline denouement. Now I dunno why this is, as the list of fantastic woman storytellers and authors is a bloody long one. And yes there are a lot of blokes who will bore you to the point of murderous. Middle aged guys the worst demographic for it. If any such corners you with "Remember when/back in my day" run, feign profound deafness, and/or punch them in the goolies. But in conversation anyway I have found good women storytellers to be a real minority. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BilboBagOfCans

Confidence and someone who actually says what they want (be that where they want to go to, who they want to visit, what's for dinner etc..)

For that reason most of my partners have been English women who are confident and straight forward. I (as an Irish bloke) cannot stand the self depreciating , mind **** meakness that is prevelant in this country.

"Dub Dubs" are a rare exception

This is interesting, do you mean that you've found Irish people are more prone to sulking I stead of just saying what they want? I am guilty of not knowing where I want to go for dinner but that's only because I don't care that much so I'm happy to go wherever!

This is interesting, do you mean that you've found Irish people are more prone to sulking I stead of just saying what they want? I am guilty of not knowing where I want to go for dinner but that's only because I don't care that much so I'm happy to go wherever!

Indecisiveness and wont just answer a bloody question without overanalyzing and generally don't recognise what they have to offer and put themselves down with no reason and when they have loads to offer a potential partner.

I would be of a state of my mind now where I know getting involved with an Irish girl would be hard work whereas an English girl would be uncomplicated and straightforward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

A friendly smile with mischievous eyes.

A quality best portrayed in film by the great Myrna Loy.
    She would look at her Thin Man co -star, William Powell, when he was losing the run of himself, with eyes that said "I do love you darling" but if you think i'm going to be taken in by that, you're going to be disappointed.
    She seemed to be a woman who liked men (she married four of them) and was able to handle (at least on screen) their foibles and peccadilloes without losing faith in them

FWIW BBoC, I reckon this is just more of the grass is greener selective bias about Foreign Women™ going on. I've gone out with more non Irish women than Irish(the locals spot me approach and run :D) and I"ve noticed very very few cultural differences and individual differences are much stronger.

One thing I have noticed and it's a general Irish thing that both genders tend to do, is being evasive or dishonest to avoid causing offence. They're often afraid to say No and instead will say Maybe or just BS you with a Yes they have no intention of following up. EG "Will we see you for New Year's Eve?". Irish person: "Yeah, that would be great!" (may or may not turn up). French person: Non or Qui which they'll tend to be reliable about.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    FWIW BBoC, I reckon this is just more of the grass is greener selective bias about Foreign Women™ going on. I've gone out with more non Irish women than Irish(the locals spot me approach and run :D) and I"ve noticed very very few cultural differences and individual differences are much stronger.

One thing I have noticed and it's a general Irish thing that both genders tend to do, is being evasive or dishonest to avoid causing offence. They're often afraid to say No and instead will say Maybe or just BS you with a Yes they have no intention of following up. EG "Will we see you for New Year's Eve?". Irish person: "Yeah, that would be great!" (may or may not turn up). French person: Non or Qui which they'll tend to be reliable about.

Alot comes down to how the answer is received and tbf your post is pretty much bang on although I don't agree with the grass being greener / little cultural difference bit, it's just down to experience and preference for cultural norms for me. There's exceptions to everything.

Your French person example is a brilliant one. A simple yes or no. Imagine the offense caused over here if you invited someone to something and a one word "No" was the answer. No excuses, no reason, no aunty Mary is in the hospital, just "No"

Instead we've a wall of "I don't mind" that it's impossible to knock down to find the actual answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

A pulse :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭oceanman

nice boobs
    nice ass
    nice smile
    not too much going on between the ears suits me fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Outside of the usual attractiveness thing (in itself, usually you have a type that you often end up disregarding), I can take a broad range of temperaments or personalities but I couldn't bear somebody that was mean spirited, spiteful or bitchy.

Things like the way they dress, drive or their voice being a matter of attraction...well each to their own.

Also I'd rather be single my whole life than date somebody that genuinely has a long laundry list of trivial requirements for a potential partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The total opposite of me and I married her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Shoulders- defined shoulders

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Chemistry, honesty & kindness. Straight up about their desires and expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Indecisiveness and wont just answer a bloody question without overanalyzing and generally don't recognise what they have to offer and put themselves down with no reason and when they have loads to offer a potential partner.

I would be of a state of my mind now where I know getting involved with an Irish girl would be hard work whereas an English girl would be uncomplicated and straightforward.
    I think Ireland and the UK are both passive aggressive societies. People are expected to be "nice" and aren't as assertive as say the Americans. You notice the difference big time in reality shows. In the UK ones it's all about the contestants being "nice" to each other and are major popularity contests. In the American ones they are ruthless and make pacts to get other's voted out. It's more important to be a go getter, than a do gooder. I've found Eastern Europeans and Russians to be quite frank and upfront. They don't tend to pussy foot around things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Kindness

Wicked sense of humour and a keen emotional intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

A nice ass and an infectious laugh. Non-feminazi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Thick framed glasses.
    Dark hair & brown eyes combo.
    Fringe.
    Not being afraid to say anything even if others won't agree.
    I think thats basically Claudia Winkleman with glasses :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Honesty, kindness and positivity. Negative people are hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BilboBagOfCans

Glasses on a man also makes me weak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Sporty.. I find athlete women very attractive. But then I've always been involved in sports so probably not surprising.

A girl who can be one of the lads, who laughs easily and doesn't take herself too seriously but who won't stand for sh*t if its thrown her way.

These are the type of women whose company I enjoy.

Sexually I've only eyes for one woman, and its not a wondering eye.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I've found Eastern Europeans and Russians to be quite frank and upfront. They don't tend to pussy foot around things.
    +1 If a Russian lass asks you "does my arse look big in this?" she expects an honest reply, which can be both refreshing and terrifying. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Wibbs wrote: »
    Depends entirely on the lady in question and ones personal taste as far as padding goes.

Nothing worse, than a one that has an arse like two chickens fighting inside a pillow case when she moves... Especially when they wear those tight trousers with "BABE" emblazoned on the arse of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Honesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Hilarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Jessie Belle

10 inches.

I spelled fingers incorrectly again didnt I?:/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

ERG89 wrote: »
    Thick framed glasses.
    Dark hair & brown eyes combo.
    Fringe.
    Not being afraid to say anything even if others won't agree.

Your brain must not be able to process all the concurrent love you feel when you walk into any bar in Dublin filled with people in their 20s.

• Advertisement
Advertisement