Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you find attractive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

One type I'm not attracted to is the hunzo hyper sexual look, some girls can pull it off but they still wouldn't be my type. Most of them are just hideous looking though, lip fillers or whatever they do, it looks manky.
    They think they look sexy and sultry with all that pouting but really they just look like desperate, cheap skanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I was on a dating site last night and I thought about this thread. i don't think i have a type. I can't name anything that I'm specifically attracted to. It's more like I have list of things that annoy me. So for example when i see a profile where every photo has a snapchat filter, that's a huge turn off.

I tend to like funny, smart women. Niceness is very important. They have to be a very genuine, very nice person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 DaverageJoe

Pretty face, happy\positive attitude, smart and kind.

Pretty face. Nice eyes and nice smile, who isn't attracted to that?. I've met all types of women of varying ages and body types. But if they're pretty I'm generally attracted.

Happy\Positive. I don't like being around miserable or moany people, it sucks the life out of me. People who just go about their lives in a positive way, no drama, no arguing, no complaining, just making the best of things and trying enjoy life are like little rays of sunshine and I want to be in the sunshine!

Smart. Everyone probably says smart in the context of what they'd like in a partner but it's quite attractive when you meet someone who you know is switched on. There's probably an ego thing in that in terms of you see yourself as smart so it validates that when a smart person want's to be in your company. But life is about learning and growing and the prospect of having someone smart to talk with and plan and experience life is very appealing.

And kindness. Probably sounds cliche but actual genuinely kind people aren't very common in my experience. I don't mean someone who's nice, friendly, likes puppies and wouldn't hurt a fly. I mean people for whom being considerate, helpful and generous are actually part of who they are instead of people who view those things as extra effort that detract from their ability to be happy and that to be that way is to be taken advantage of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Sense of humour, a good heart, a good mind.

Someone who isn’t psycho.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    They think they look sexy and sultry with all that pouting but really they just look like desperate, cheap skanks.

Us women need to be kinder to each other :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I like women with great legs and arse, love women who look good in yoga pants or jeggings or what ever they are called. I guess because I am into sports and keeping fit I like women who are into sports, don't mind getting sweaty. Love redheads and women who have pubes. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Floppybits wrote: »
    Love redheads and women who have pubes. :)

Couldn't agree more.

Only thing is you spelled pubs wrong:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Couldn't agree more.

Only thing is you spelled pubs wrong:D

pubes/pubs all the same, disappearing fast. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I only mourn the loss of one of the 2 though:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I wouldn't be able to pinpoint what I find attractive, it could be anything really. Everyone has different qualities that heighten other qualities about them. I wouldn't be able to say that I have a type or anything like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Women that are quiet, reserved, confident, funny.
    Dark hair, usually.
    Curvy or athletic I don't really mind.
    Beautiful but not in any conventional, cookie-cutter, modern sense of what's beautiful. Which paradoxically means a lot more woman than the likes of Kim Kardashian etc.

But personality is very important.
    Someone who is confident in themselves and not trying to fix a man or other horse****e like that. And none of that Beyonce independent woman rubbish either. Real confidence I mean.

Preferably someone who eschews social media completely and can see through the ****e that women get told every day of their lives.

Someone who isn't into makeup or jewellery (for some reason I can't help seeing that as another insecurity for women, sorry).

And a woman who can laugh at herself is very attractive.

Edit: kindness, thoughtfulness as mentioned above.

Essentially, I would say the antithesis of Kim Kardashian.

Us women need to be kinder to each other :)
    Women need to stop injecting fillers into their lips/cheeks and doing that silly pouting thinking it makes them look sexy. It doesn't and there is no kind way to say that. Well, the kindest I can come up with is that they look absolutely ridiculous. You have very attractive women who ruin their looks and yes, they do end up looking cheap and desperate and coupled with heavy "glam" makeup, they scream skanky, rather than sexy.

Have you seen the state of yer one in Little Mix? Tulisa ruined herself. Cheryl looked like a really bad lookalike in her new video but seems to have had them dissolved. And they're doing that younger and younger. Cosmetic enhancements used to be for middle age but now we have early 20's injecting every sort of sh!te into their face. This is one of those cases where honesty is more important than kindness and they need to be told that they are making themselves look worse, not better. If this continues we'll have teenagers doing the same. Oh wait....Kylie Jenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

If this continues we'll have teenagers doing the same. Oh wait....Kylie Jenner.

Kylie Jenner is now a billionaire as a result of her surgeries. Naïve girls and women are going out buying her lipsticks thinking they'll give them a pout like hers. It's sad really.

Kylie Jenner is now a billionaire as a result of her surgeries. Na girls and women are going out buying her lipsticks thinking they'll give them a pout like hers. It's sad really.
    She is probably a millionaire but she is nowhere near billionaire status. Kris Jenner threw that out there but would't provide any evidence. Kris needs a good slap. All that surgery has aged Kylie. She's only turned 21 but looks way older.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

"Desperate, cheap and skanky" are a hell of a lot more of a moral value judgement than "that looks bad/ridiculous".

But seeing as honesty is kinder and you're only looking out for them, you have of course been so brutally honest with people in your life who are into that? Or are you just being kind to celebrities who don't know you exist by slagging off their appearance on the internet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Kylie Jenner is now a billionaire as a result of her surgeries. Naïve girls and women are going out buying her lipsticks thinking they'll give them a pout like hers. It's sad really.

Girls or Women who follow Kylie and buy her products know full well it's fillers she uses, they follow her ffs and she talks openly about it! (granted she didn't at first but she has since copped to it) If the randos on the "what do you find attractive" thread on boards.ie know she's had fillers of course the people who subscribe to her social media know :rolleyes:

She is probably a millionaire but she is nowhere near billionaire status. Kris Jenner threw that out there but would't provide any evidence. Kris needs a good slap. All that surgery has aged Kylie. She's only turned 21 but looks way older.

She made the Forbes list of wealthiest celebrities tied with Jay Z with fortunes of $900 million.

Girls or Women who follow Kylie and buy her products know full well it's fillers she uses, they follow her ffs and she talks openly about it! (granted she didn't at first but she has since copped to it) If the randos on the "what do you find attractive" thread on boards.ie know she's had fillers of course the people who subscribe to her social media know :rolleyes:

Of course her followers know, I didn't say that in my post :rolleyes:

Young girls know she had lip fillers but that doesn't stop them going out buying her products thinking they'll give them a bit more of a pout than a normal lipstick.

"Desperate, cheap and skanky" are a hell of a lot more of a moral value judgement than "that looks bad/ridiculous".

But seeing as honesty is kinder and you're only looking out for them, you have of course been so brutally honest with people in your life who are into that? Or are you just being kind to celebrities who don't know you exist by slagging off their appearance on the internet?
    Does it get windy up there on your high horse? Seriously. Why so touchy? My opinion is not going to affect your life (or anyone else's) in any way. It's just that. An opinion. And no. I wouldn't be so callous as to say that to someone in real life. There is a time and a place for honesty and if I can't be honest about attractiveness, on a thread dedicated to attractiveness, where can I?

Of course her followers know, I didn't say that in my post :rolleyes:

Young girls know she had lip fillers but that doesn't stop them going out buying her products thinking they'll give them a bit more of a pout than a normal lipstick.

but sure that's not unique to Kylie or any other brand! She's no more despicable than any other makeup or fashion brand, but she gets some amount of vitriol directed at her.

Anyway that's all completely OT

• Advertisement

She made the Forbes list of wealthiest celebrities tied with Jay Z with fortunes of $900 million.
    Forbes just guess at people's worth. They've admitted themselves they don't have access to people's bank accounts. Loads of celebs who've appeared on the list have said they would love to be worth as much as Forbes claims :D

but sure that's not unique to Kylie or any other brand! She's no more despicable than any other makeup or fashion brand, but she gets some amount of vitriol directed at her.

Anyway that's all completely OT

Other makeup brands don't usually have someone with lip fillers modelling their lipstick so yeah it is unique to have someone with lip fillers selling lipstick.

Anyway, on-topic I don't find plastic surgery attractive.

Annnnywaaaaay.....

I was just reminded that I like glasses on men. It's not a pre-requisite though, I don't have any set in stone preferences for looks. I just like someone smart enough to enjoy talking to and fun enough not to take themselves too seriously.

Women need to stop injecting fillers into their lips/cheeks and doing that silly pouting thinking it makes them look sexy. It doesn't and there is no kind way to say that. Well, the kindest I can come up with is that they look absolutely ridiculous. You have very attractive women who ruin their looks and yes, they do end up looking cheap and desperate and coupled with heavy "glam" makeup, they scream skanky, rather than sexy.

Have you seen the state of yer one in Little Mix? Tulisa ruined herself. Cheryl looked like a really bad lookalike in her new video but seems to have had them dissolved. And they're doing that younger and younger. Cosmetic enhancements used to be for middle age but now we have early 20's injecting every sort of sh!te into their face. This is one of those cases where honesty is more important than kindness and they need to be told that they are making themselves look worse, not better. If this continues we'll have teenagers doing the same. Oh wait....Kylie Jenner.

I think its sad that young women, any person in fact, go to such lengths to alter their appearance. To say they are desperate skanks though just seems very cruel to me.

Does it get windy up there on your high horse? Seriously. Why so touchy? My opinion is not going to affect your life (or anyone else's) in any way. It's just that. An opinion. And no. I wouldn't be so callous as to say that to someone in real life. There is a time and a place for honesty and if I can't be honest about attractiveness, on a thread dedicated to attractiveness, where can I?

Woah there! I'm just responding to what you said. Your opinion doesn't affect me but since you put it out there and I also had a (differing) opinion I didn't think it too outrageous to ask a couple of questions.

Of course you can be honest, please continue to honestly express your opinions and maybe honestly discuss them rather than reacting with all hostility and no content when someone disagrees.

I'd respectfully suggest that since your last several posts have been similar reactions to posters querying you sh1tting all over the appearance and behaviour of reality celebrities who you for some reason know quite a bit about, you may not want to throwing accusations of touchiness and high horsiness around so easily tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Candie wrote: »
    Annnnywaaaaay.....

I was just reminded that I like glasses on men. It's not a pre-requisite though, I don't have any set in stone preferences for looks. I just like someone smart enough to enjoy talking to and fun enough not to take themselves too seriously.
    Plus, those specs could be hiding that he's actually a superhero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

My bf has good teeth and dimples. His dimples were the first thing I that ever drew me to him. He also has good hair, it’s really thick and a lovely chestnut brown colour. So those seem to be the objective traits I’m drawn to. My friends say my type is “cutesy boy men”.. a nice cute face on a manly body!
    I’m not bi but can appreciate a good looking woman. I wouldn’t be a fan of blondes despite being one myself. I think Gemma Khan is gorgeous and am extremely envious of anyone with similar features

Oh my God. Dimples! How'd I forget dimples!

Tall, dimples, kind eyes and I'm sold!

• Advertisement

I think its sad that young women, any person in fact, go to such lengths to alter their appearance. To say they are desperate skanks though just seems very cruel to me.
    As Dolly Parton said "it costs a lot of money to look this cheap!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

At this stage a pulse :D

My previous partners have been polar opposites. From dark and tall, to slim and bald. It's the spark and chemistry I think you either feel it in the first meeting or it's not there.

I think it's very sad women (or men) feel they have to live up to an instagram like image. I know women who won't go out without makeup on. Or can't go on a night out without fake tan, nails, hair.

Woah there! I'm just responding to what you said. Your opinion doesn't affect me but since you put it out there and I also had a (differing) opinion I didn't think it too outrageous to ask a couple of questions.

Of course you can be honest, please continue to honestly express your opinions and maybe honestly discuss them rather than reacting with all hostility and no content when someone disagrees.

I'd respectfully suggest that since your last several posts have been similar reactions to posters querying you sh1tting all over the appearance and behaviour of reality celebrities who you for some reason know quite a bit about, you may not want to throwing accusations of touchiness and high horsiness around so easily tbh.
    I read the Daily Mail when bored at work. Without clicking on articles and just reading the headlines in the sidebar of shame, I know more about the Kardashians than I do my own family! There's hardly anything untoward about that. You may not like my posting style and if you think all my posts are hostile then feel free to report me to the mods. "sh!tting all over" is quite a hostile statement though, so maybe you're projecting?

If you want to discuss the hyper sexualised look then I would love to. You haven't added anything to that though apart from getting appalled at my view. Do you think women in their early 20's injecting god knows what into their face makes them attractive? Should we encourage this behaviour? Tell them they look really sexy?

La.de.da wrote: »
    I think it's very sad women (or men) feel they have to live up to an instagram like image. I know women who won't go out without makeup on. Or can't go on a night out without fake tan, nails, hair.

I don't leave the house without foundation on because I have bad skin not because I'm trying to live up to a certain image.

I was judgemental in my previous posts regarding celebs and plastic surgery(cos of impressionable young girls) but I don't think it's sad that a lot of women like wearing fake tan/nails - that's just what they love doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Grayson wrote: »
    I was on a dating site last night and I thought about this thread. i don't think i have a type. I can't name anything that I'm specifically attracted to. It's more like I have list of things that annoy me. So for example when i see a profile where every photo has a snapchat filter, that's a huge turn off.

I tend to like funny, smart women. Niceness is very important. They have to be a very genuine, very nice person.

I think niceness is dramatically under rated as a quality when, despite being a bland sort of word, it sums up several really important traits at once. These days I much prefer "nice" over funny or dynamic or good looking, things that were more important to me in the past. Nice people catch my attention now and I find I really admire kind acts when I see them as much as I do shows of great intellect or talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Other makeup brands don't usually have someone with lip fillers modelling their lipstick so yeah it is unique to have someone with lip fillers selling lipstick.

Anyway, on-topic I don't find plastic surgery attractive.

You'd actually struggle to find a model these days who hasn't had a facial aesthetic enhancement.
    Many of the top names in the industry, from Bella Hadid to Hailey Baldwin have all had work done.
    The difference between them & Kylie is that their work is a lot more subtle, and there are fewer pictures of them available throughout their childhoods for the public to compare to.
    Kylie's transformation seems even more dramatic than it is because we can compare her current look to how she looked as a young child & a preteen.

• Advertisement

I agree with Paddy Cow. Really young women/girls getting lip fillers and botox is just horrible. How the **** has it come to this being so commonplace. And it makes them look like blow-up dolls.

Being happy in your skin was never lucrative but it's gone crazy now (not saying there is an issue with make-up - I wear a bit myself).

Every centimetre of womens bodies are targeted to exploit invented insecurities.

All the girls who get the filler etc have the same look. Fake nails, fake tan, hair extentions, fillers, false lashes, very skillful and complicated makeup. It can look very glamorous and sexy, but the maintenance involved must be insane.

But it's like a hobby for some, and if it makes them happier about themselves then it's fine by me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Kansas Octagon

A woman with a nice body but doesn't feel the need to post weekly pictures of herself in her underwear on instagram.

A woman with a nice body but doesn't feel the need to post weekly pictures of herself in her underwear on instagram.

Whisht there now, the women are arguing! :mad:

I think you’d be hard pushed to find a 20 something year old these days who hasn’t altered their appearance in some way. It has become the norm. Be it hair extensions, fillers, tan, nails, Botox, boob job.. etc etc.. being devoid of at least one of those things seems to be the exception rather than the rule nowadays.
    I noticed a drastic difference in the appearance of girls in my second stint at college compared to my first. But sure look, if it’s not your thing it’s not your thing. It’s enjoyable for some and makes them feel better ( I say them like I’m not one of them :pac: well, I haven’t injected anything into myself, yet!)

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    Every centimetre of womens bodies are targeted to exploit invented insecurities.

All the girls who get the filler etc have the same look. Fake nails, fake tan, hair extentions, fillers, false lashes, very skillful and complicated makeup. It can look very glamorous and sexy, but the maintenance involved must be insane.

But it's like a hobby for some, and if it makes them happier about themselves then it's fine by me.
    I don't think it's good though that women that young - with no skin problems - think their young skin and lips are so unacceptable that they get injections.

I don't think it's good though that women that young - with no skin problems - think their young skin and lips are so unacceptable that they get injections.

well it's not the ideal situation is it? but I don't like people online denigrating these women for their choices and calling the skanks or whatever it was. It might be a choice we wouldn't make but I wouldn't be pointing the finger of blame or disgust at the women themselves, more at the industries that make millions off their insecurities. Telling them they look ridiculous or less attractive, isn't going to resolve anything it's just compounding the message that led them to that path in the first place.

That kind of judgemental attitude is something I find very unattractive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Liamalone wrote: »
    When she carries an emergency packet of Monster Munch in her handbag.

My Woman does this, very annoying, and she does it in her car too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I think niceness is dramatically under rated as a quality when, despite being a bland sort of word, it sums up several really important traits at once. These days I much prefer "nice" over funny or dynamic or good looking, things that were more important to me in the past. Nice people catch my attention now and I find I really admire kind acts when I see them as much as I do shows of great intellect or talent.

Sincerity too. You know when you meet someone and think they're just very genuine. there's no pretence, they are exactly who they appear to be.

It’s the result of a culture who’ve been bombarded with images of before vs after, Instagram images and access to celebrities with social platforms who treat getting invasive procedures like popping to the dentist for a check up.
    That’s not to say I haven’t seen some very good work, I have. The two examples before Hailey Baldwin and Bella Hadid in my opinion look much better now post enhancements. Kendall Jenner also looks better with whatever she’s had done. But Joanna from down the road doesn’t have the access or the funds to the professionals like those do, so the results are never going to be the same.
    I think a lot of the time people take the more extreme cases and use them as an example for all procedures being bad, but the majority of the time, when done well, the results can be very good and natural looking. I think it’s sad when young girls feel they have to go down the extreme route but like with anything else you’ll always have extremists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Grayson wrote: »
    Sincerity too. You know when you meet someone and think they're just very genuine. there's no pretence, they are exactly who they appear to be.

Yup fully agree with that, that would fall under the traits I find encompass "nice", by my definition at least. Not so easy find. I think these are things that are naturally innate to a person or not but very few people seem to place any emphasis on fostering these sort of characteristics anymore. I like that they've at least cropped up in a few posts as traits to admire. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I like a good mop of curly hair on a guy. It's not a requirement, I just find it cute. Dark hair and light eyes is always a good combo and something I'm envious of (having the much more common dark hair and dark eyes myself). Again, not a requirement, just something that will catch my attention.

For ladies, I always notice a nice set of slim legs. Again, this is something I don't have. I was a competitive gymnast growing up, so my legs are in good shape, but they're not slim like, say Megan Markle. And I just think slim legs like that are very elegant and chic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Originality, sincerity, passion, honesty, humour, big strong thighs and forearms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Magnets.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I was a competitive gymnast growing up, so my legs are in good shape, but they're not slim like, say Megan Markle.
    I really don't get the buzz about her at all M. There's more meat on a butchers pencil. Might look OK in well shot photos, but in the flesh, or lack of it... And I much prefer thin as a default, but give me the gymnast type any day of the week. Thin is great when it's because of genetics and/or fitness, not when it comes from a diet of lettuce leaves and air.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement