Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 month old waking at night

• 25-12-2018 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭

Happy Christmas!

Basically my dream baby has gone from sleeping all night and going into his cot awake to waking up every hour on the hour and needing to be rocked back to sleep in my arms for seemingly no reason. He’s not sick, he’s teething a bit but even calpol doesn’t stop him waking. Has anyone else experienced a sleep regression like this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

How long has this been going on? In my experience, almost all of these slip blips are just that - a blip - lasting a few weeks or a month max. I generally find it best to just ride it out and give them what they need until they no longer need it. As awful as no sleep is!!

So for example, our wee man has gone through couple of phases of needing us to be in the room with him until he falls asleep. So we do that, and it is annoying, for a few weeks. And then all of a sudden one night, he is happy for us to leave again.

There are also so many changes going on with them in the first year of life - be it a developmental leap, teething, a bug, their first experience if nightmares, digestive trouble, clingy phases/separation anxiety, colds and flus, adjusting to solids, and a myriad of other issues.

Ultimately what I'm saying is that if you can't seem to find an obvious cause, and hence an obvious solution, to it, you just have to ride it out. It will pass. It always does! Although it can be very tough in the meantime, especially if you are used to a good sleeper (lucky you!). But your baby has been sleeping well and will sleep well again soon. He likely just needs your help, and a little bit of time, to get him through whatever he is battling right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

At 8 months, they are in the middle of a developmental leap, my little fella is 8 months and 1 week and is more cranky and it started the day the wonder years app said he was due a leap. Unfortunately it is telling me it lasts 4 weeks so just got to go with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

How long has this been going on? In my experience, almost all of these slip blips are just that - a blip - lasting a few weeks or a month max. I generally find it best to just ride it out and give them what they need until they no longer need it. As awful as no sleep is!!

So for example, our wee man has gone through couple of phases of needing us to be in the room with him until he falls asleep. So we do that, and it is annoying, for a few weeks. And then all of a sudden one night, he is happy for us to leave again.

There are also so many changes going on with them in the first year of life - be it a developmental leap, teething, a bug, their first experience if nightmares, digestive trouble, clingy phases/separation anxiety, colds and flus, adjusting to solids, and a myriad of other issues.

Ultimately what I'm saying is that if you can't seem to find an obvious cause, and hence an obvious solution, to it, you just have to ride it out. It will pass. It always does! Although it can be very tough in the meantime, especially if you are used to a good sleeper (lucky you!). But your baby has been sleeping well and will sleep well again soon. He likely just needs your help, and a little bit of time, to get him through whatever he is battling right now.

Thank you so much. Great advice. I will do just that I think. Tonight he has woken at 10.30 and 1.30 for a cuddle. As much as I love the cuddles I could do without them in the middle of the night! None of my other kids ever slept through the night this early so we were very lucky for a time. I
    suppose I’ll enjoy the cuddles while I have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

ainy wrote: »
    At 8 months, they are in the middle of a developmental leap, my little fella is 8 months and 1 week and is more cranky and it started the day the wonder years app said he was due a leap. Unfortunately it is telling me it lasts 4 weeks so just got to go with it!

That explains a lot thanks. He is very cranky which I put down to having been awake a lot during the night. I’ll just have to go with it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

8 months.It's what they do!I figure if I get 1/2 night's mostly full sleep out of 7 nights, it's good going.I just reinsert soother, hold his hand (he's 7.5 months) and wait for him to drop back off.Same with the other two.
    It's resigned acceptance at this point more than anything else!!!Just try to avoid taking him out and feeding etc (assuming not BF??) or else he will hapily get into the habit of wanting a bit of milk to go back to sleep :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Same for us. Our now nearly 10 month old slept pretty well from moving into her own room to about a month ago. We'd put her to bed at 7 and she'd sleep nearly 12 hours, with the odd wake-up here and there.

Then she hit 9 months and all that went out the window. She's awake every 20 mins til midnight or 1 o clock, last couple of nights she hasnt gone asleep til that time. Just to get some sleep and keep functioning she's sleeping in our bed, but we know its not a solution.

Any advice appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Same for us. Our now nearly 10 month old slept pretty well from moving into her own room to about a month ago. We'd put her to bed at 7 and she'd sleep nearly 12 hours, with the odd wake-up here and there.

Then she hit 9 months and all that went out the window. She's awake every 20 mins til midnight or 1 o clock, last couple of nights she hasnt gone asleep til that time. Just to get some sleep and keep functioning she's sleeping in our bed, but we know its not a solution.

Any advice appreciated!

My advice is patience. It will end at some stage. I have an almost 1 year old who never met a sleep regression he didn’t like. Currently going through the 12 month one. All my efforts to fix him have always been a waste of time so now I just wait it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

bee06 wrote: »
    My advice is patience. It will end at some stage. I have an almost 1 year old who never met a sleep regression he didn’t like. Currently going through the 12 month one. All my efforts to fix him have always been a waste of time so now I just wait it out.

Agree. All mine started sleeping after that horrendous sleep regression at about 13/13.5 months. Slept all night until the craziness of 16/17 months. Then things went bananas for a few weeks. I changed nothing and they all literally just started sleeping overnight by themselves.

Advertisement