Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerful sound card for PC - what are my options?

Options
  • 26-12-2018 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭

Hello.
    I have a desktop pc in a micro ATX case. My current audio output is via the on board audio and then into a 1970/80s music centre (hifi golden age) to amp up to give great sound through my speakers.

The music centre is great, even at 30/40 years old it gives really deep rich bass but its bulky and it's an ordeal to have to fire it up every time along with the PC. Also I never use the tape or record deck on it.

I'm wondering if there is a micro ATX sound card available that is powerful enough so that I can plug my speakers into the rear of the PC and have great hifi sound quality without needing an external amp.

I'd want a component that will give the same or better quality sound, I really wouldn't like to invest money and effort only to find the sound wasn't was rich.

I'd like to go 5.1 sound even if this is possible.

What are my options and the cost.

Is there any card that would be Bluetooth compatible also so I can link my phone to the card and input/output wirelessly via the PC.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I've been looking at various 5 channel Asus pcie sound cards.
    They all seem to be just sound cards with no amp capability beyond head phones which isn't what I want.

It's it even possible to get an internal card with a decent amplifier?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I have never heard of a soundcard with an on-board amplifier. I think you are wasting your time looking for one. either powered speakers or an external amp are your options here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I don't think they do onboard amps due to interference from the PC

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A basic receiver can be 100W/Channel. At 5.1 thats over 500W the whole unit. Your graphics card probably doesn't pull half that. Doing what you'd like would require a second PSU for 99% of machines making it a dead end product.

Get a pair of these, rejoice.
    http://www.krksys.com/Studio-Monitors/ROKIT-8-G3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Creative Labs have a new high-end soundcard and Amp/DAC combo coming out soon called the Soundblaster AE-9 but at 300 quid it's pretty pricey for what you get imho.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3324369/computers/exclusive-first-look-creative-labs-high-end-sound-blasterx-ae-9-breaks-cover.html

My plan this year for sound upgrades would be the Topping MX3 Amp/DAC paired with some Wharfedale Diamond 220s which also would be around the 300 quid mark.

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    Yes I agree. 300 quid is much more than I'm wanting to spend.

It seems this component that I am after isn't really something that exists karma not commonly anyway.

Maybe my best option would be to get a good quality analogue amplifier that I can link my sound output to. Would this be a good option?
    The output from my PC is just a 3.5mm stereo audio jack. Is there any point getting a 5.1 speakers setup if my audio output from the PC is only stereo? Would I need a 5.1 audio card to get the best use of it?
    Another thing I noticed is that although the PC only has the 3.5 mm audio output Jack, the settings in the realtek HD audio console have an option for 5.1 and 7.1 sound - what's the deal here?

And what's the advantage of a DAC? Will a DAC take its input from a USB or from pci or some other way?

Isn't a sound card basically a DAC anyway? and then I'll be using an analogue amp just to ramp up the power of the signal? Two different ways of doing the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I don't have any expert advise here. How ever I would be looking at a sound card with a good sample rate output etc.. From there I would use some software like Breakaway and feed it too some external sound processing equipment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-FX2000-Virtualizer-Effects-Processor/dp/B003EZXMS0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546047450&sr=8-2&keywords=behringer+processor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

i wonder would tinkering with a pi and a hifiberry with amp be uselful. no experience personally

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

What are you listening to on your pc? ie music movies etc
    What is the Make/model of your motherboard?
    What is the make/model of your hifi centre?

If you are happy with the sound from your existing speakers, I would suppose that your best option is a mini-amplifier.
    There are loads of them on amazon, pick one that suits your speakers...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/pc-amplifier/akbr6be8d6uy6fd

If you want 5.1 it would be best to have a motherboard with an optical out connecting to a receiver or a graphics card connecting to an av receiver via hdmi.
    But then you are buying a new system €€€€
    https://www.richersounds.ie/c-82-homecinemabundles.aspx#pgnum=&sort=

I mostly listen to Spotify and movies.

I have an Asus H110MC board.

I don't think I want to go to the rounds and expense of a graphics card and external av equipment.

I'll have a look at mini amps.

Since my board only outputs a 3.5 mm stereo jack is there any point having a 5.1 speaker system? Will it even work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Just buy one of the Lepy 20 watt amps. You won't notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You need active speakers - speakers that include an amplifier - or get an integrated amp to power the speakers. I think modern active speakers would produce the better sound quality.

That's basically a powered speaker, right?

Any examples that would be 5.1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Logitech z5500

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Giveaway wrote: »
    Logitech z5500

No longer in production sadly. Their Z906 and Z506 are the current replacements but not quite as good and kinda pricey for what you get. OP, is there any reason you have to go 5.1 as to be perfectly honest a good 2.1 + amp setup will blow away the likes of the Logitech, Creative and other branded 5.1 kits, not to mention a hell of a lot fewer wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

Since my board only outputs a 3.5 mm stereo jack is there any point having a 5.1 speaker system? Will it even work?

To get 5.1 working with that motherboard you have to assign the jacks to specific speakers.
    One jack for front pair, one jack for rear pair and one jack for centre/sub.

You use the jacks at the rear and at the front of your pc . Should be covered in your motherboard manual.

You need active 5.1 speakers for this setup.

Something like the Logitech Z506
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003WJR482/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I would buy the LEPY 2024A Plus Amplifier and try it with your old speakers, if you don't like it return it and get the Logitech Z506.

OK so it looks like there is no easy fix for what I am wanting to do such as getting a sound card with inbuilt amp.

To get 5.1 would require a fairly hefty expense on an external amp or AV receiver. Even second hand they all look to be quite expensive, and bulky too which is one of the reasons I wanted to shift from my current set up.

What I have done tho as an experiment is put together a jury rigged 4.0 quadrophonic system. For this I've retained my existing speaker system and got my hands on a pair of good powered pc speakers. I've changed the sound output format to quadrophonic in the Realtek Audio manager. It sounds pretty good so far listening to Nathan Carter at the moment!!!

Thanks for all your advice on here! I might come back if I plan on any more changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Op you could pick up a cheap ClassD amp. The performance of such amps has come along leaps and bounds in the past few years. The massive advantage over a traditional amp is the efficiency is in the 80-90% range as opposed to 40%, meaning much smaller design, and running a lot cooler. Here's a good starting point

Advertisement