If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

55in OLED possibly also a soundbar

Options
  • 26-12-2018 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Happy Christmas!
    Time to upgrade my two Philips that have served me so well and going to take the leap to OLED

Looking to spend up to 2k with the best soundbar for that price

Looking for prices on the LG C8, Philips 803, & Sony AF8BU 

I know LG have the B8 at the level below. What am I missing out on at that level?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

GK1001 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Happy Christmas!
    Time to upgrade my two Philips that have served me so well and going to take the leap to OLED

Looking to spend up to 2k with the best soundbar for that price

Looking for prices on the LG C8, Philips 803, & Sony AF8BU 

I know LG have the B8 at the level below. What am I missing out on at that level?
    Hi GK1001.

Thanks for the post.

For the LG 55C8PLA 1699 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203216-lg-oled55c8pla-55-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-tv-freeview-play.aspx

The Philips 55OLED803 priced at 1799 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203645-philips-55oled803-55-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-premium-smart-tv-freeview-hd.aspx

Sony have the 55AF8BU which is priced at 1916 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203291-sony-kd55af8bu-55-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-android-tv-freeview-hd.aspx

In my opinion the Sony is the better even though I own one of the LG OLED's myself.
    In saying that you would not be disappointed with any of the above televisions.

The lower B8 LG range uses a different processor to the C8 range. The B8 is the Alpha 8 the C8 is the Alpha 9.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Hi GK1001.

Thanks for the post.

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203216-lg-oled55c8pla-55-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-tv-freeview-play.aspx

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203645-philips-55oled803-55-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-premium-smart-tv-freeview-hd.aspx

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203291-sony-kd55af8bu-55-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-android-tv-freeview-hd.aspx

In my opinion the Sony is the better even though I own one of the LG OLED's myself.

The lower B8 LG range uses a different processor to the C8 range. The B8 is the Alpha 8 the C8 is the Alpha 9.

Thanks for the info Kenny... I'm definitely leaning towards the android tv's... with the Sony, I'd have it sitting down... the profile is almost flat to the surface... what are your thoughts on a soundbar/ need for a soundbar on it?

Hi GK1001.

Thanks for the post.

Thanks for the info Kenny... I'm definitely leaning towards the android tv's... with the Sony, I'd have it sitting down... the profile is almost flat to the surface... what are your thoughts on a soundbar/ need for a soundbar on it?
    Hey GK1001.

Apologies but I'm not sure what you mean by "I'd have it sitting down.... the profile is almost flat to the surface"?

The Sony has very good sound for a flat screen TV
    "
    [font=Montserrat, sans-serif]The sound of Acoustic Surface[/font]
    [font=Montserrat, sans-serif]Unlike most TV’s, the Sony KD55AF8 doesn’t use conventional speakers; it simply makes the screen move with the sound! By using twin actuators at the rear of the screen, the whole surface acts as one, cohesive speaker. As well as improving the looks, it also means the sound is more accurately located to the image, giving more believable dialogue sync. To give explosive sound tracks the full force they deserve, a small subwoofer in built into the rear of the cabinet."[/font]

For a soundbar its the type of thing that can be added at a later date if required.
    You could get a television and once its setup, sit down and watch some movies and TV shows and you will know if you would require a soundbar.

Hey GK1001.

Apologies but I'm not sure what you mean by "I'd have it sitting down.... the profile is almost flat to the surface"?

"
    [font=Montserrat, sans-serif]Unlike most TV’s, the Sony KD55AF8 doesn’t use conventional speakers; it simply makes the screen move with the sound! By using twin actuators at the rear of the screen, the whole surface acts as one, cohesive speaker. As well as improving the looks, it also means the sound is more accurately located to the image, giving more believable dialogue sync. To give explosive sound tracks the full force they deserve, a small subwoofer in built into the rear of the cabinet."[/font]

For a soundbar its the type of thing that can be added at a later date if required.
    You could get a television and once its setup, sit down and watch some movies and TV shows and you will know if you would require a soundbar.

Sorry. What I mean is, it's not going to be wall mounted, it will be sat on a low cabinet, and traditionally a soundbar would sit under the tv but on this tv it's bottom is almost flat to the surface so would a soundbar block the bottom of the tv?

Hey GK1001.

"

Sorry. What I mean is, it's not going to be wall mounted, it will be sat on a low cabinet, and traditionally a soundbar would sit under the tv but on this tv it's bottom is almost flat to the surface so would a soundbar block the bottom of the tv?
    Hey GK1001.

Ahhh..... Now I understand.

Yes, a soundbar would then block the bottom of the Sony as it would sit above the bottom of the frame unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Hey GK1001.

Yes, a soundbar would then block the bottom of the Sony as it would sit above the bottom of the frame unfortunately.

I'm actually out in Harveys here and just got a demo of a couple of them. Sony for me. It's stunning. Can you PM me Kenny. Thanks

Hey GK1001.

I'm actually out in Harveys here and just got a demo of a couple of them.  Sony for me. It's stunning. Can you PM me Kenny. Thanks
    Hey GK1001.

They really are fantastic televisions.

If you want to go for one drop me your name and a contact number in a PM and we can give you a call :)

Hey GK1001.

If you want to go for one drop me your name and a contact number in a PM and we can give you a call :)
    DM sent

Hey GK1001.

DM sent
    Cheers GK1001.

Will give you a call ASAP :D

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.