Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old build wont power up

Options
  • 26-12-2018 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

hi guys,

i built a 2500k setup a few years back with the help of this forum. i havent been in ireland for 2 years so the computer hasnt been started up since then. when i came home my brother had switched the power lead to a 2 pin eu plug (says TY-014 10A 250v on the plug). now the computer is not powering up and i assume its because of the different power lead? the psu is a 650w xfx pro so maybe there is not enough power going into it to start up? although the computer shouldnt be drawing that much power at all from the psu since the gpu isn't in it at the minute so maybe there is something else wrong

any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

JayJoe1990 wrote: »
    hi guys,

i built a 2500k setup a few years back with the help of this forum. i havent been in ireland for 2 years so the computer hasnt been started up since then. when i came home my brother had switched the power lead to a 2 pin eu plug (says TY-014 10A 250v on the plug). now the computer is not powering up and i assume its because of the different power lead? the psu is a 650w xfx pro so maybe there is not enough power going into it to start up? although the computer shouldnt be drawing that much power at all from the psu since the gpu isn't in it at the minute so maybe there is something else wrong

any ideas?

Check the fuse in the plug

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭JayJoe1990

its an EU 2 pin plug so pretty sure it doesnt have a fuse mate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

What kind of lead has your monitor? Maybe swap it out for a test.

corsav6 wrote: »
    What kind of lead has your monitor? Maybe swap it out for a test.

Different cable unfortunately. The computer should still power up with this 2pin EU cable right? Maybe there's something up on the inside on the pc

• Advertisement

Just got a new power lead for psu, when I connected it and pressed the power on button nothing happened. I then did a paper clip test on psu and the fans were spinning so the psu is fine. How can I check to see if its the motherboard? Or maybe it could be the power on switch? Or that little battery on motherboard?

Any help is appreciated lads

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Short the power pins (i.e. the ones connected to the case's power switch) to see if the motherboard turns on.

fp_header.jpg

Power pin location varies by motherboard.

Cheers for the reply. On the power switch connector red is + and white -?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dunno, it depends on your motherboard.
    But really, all you're doing is bridging the 2 connectors like a switch would do, to give the motherboard the "turn ON" signal.

OK so I changed the power switch connector around and the power button worked. I then turned the computer off straight away, stood it up and now the power switch isn't working again.. Nothing came out of place as I checked all the connections again. God sake!

• Advertisement

Just tried to short the pins with a screwdriver and that won't work either

".. common effects of it is date/time always being reset, but causing a computer to not boot at all is very possible with a dead CR2032 battery." from google

So I'd assume I need a new battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye take that one out and short the cmos reset, put it back in and try again, that might help, otherwise a new battery will do, they sell them in most Spar etc. and Argos and Jewelers.

Cheers lads. Will grab a new battery and see how I get on

Advertisement