Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pruning 7 foot Cherry and Plum trees - now a good time ?

Options
  • 26-12-2018 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I’m new to pruning

Firstly timing - is now the wrong time, when if I dab the cuts with some paint ?

Last year I cut the top branch to prevent the trees getting too tall but they went very bushy as a result and I need to do some thing.

Fruit yield was very low and the canopy doesn’t get much light

They are both other wise healthy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Your fruit yield may have been low because the tree was putting on new growth in response to your pruning.

I would leave it until next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Cherry and other stone fruit should not be pruned in winter in order to avoid the spread of silver leaf and bacterial canker disease.(RHS page link).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭blackbox

macraignil wrote: »
    Cherry and other stone fruit should not be pruned in winter in order to avoid the spread of silver leaf and bacterial canker disease.(RHS page link).

Best time to prune them is after fruit has set (June)

Advertisement