If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onkyo HTS5805

Options
  • 26-12-2018 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

Looking to upgrade my 5 yearly system up to Atmos. This system (Onkyo HTS5805) seems to be in my price range but just have 2 queries -

1. I have seen conflicting reports online about the receivers ability to passthrough HDR, so looking for confirmation that it does actually do passthrough.

2. Is there anything else in the same price range that I should be entertaining?

Cheers.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

kellyg6 wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking to upgrade my 5 yearly system up to Atmos. This system (Onkyo HTS5805) seems to be in my price range but just have 2 queries -

1. I have seen conflicting reports online about the receivers ability to passthrough HDR, so looking for confirmation that it does actually do passthrough.

2. Is there anything else in the same price range that I should be entertaining?

Cheers.
    Hi Kellyg6.

As far as I can remember the amp of the 5805 pack will not pass through HDR. It will for standard 4K.
    (I can call Onkyo to confirm this once they reopen around the new year).

There would be no other all in one Atmos system unfortunately.

You could perhaps look at a separate setup version.

Amp:
    Denon AVRX550Bt priced at £219
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203321-denon-avrx550bt-av-receiver.aspx

Speakers (5.1):
    Canton Movie 75 priced at £199
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-201147-canton-movie-75-black-5-1-speaker-package.aspx

Atmos speakers:
    Elac Monitor ATM priced at £179
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203576-eltax-monitor-atm-dolby-atmos-speakers-per-pair.aspx

Total this way would be £597 delivered.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kellyg6

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the reply. Really looking to get an Atmos set up going. Might just do what you said and wait til the new year and try to confirm with Onkyo.

As I say I’ve seen quite a few conflicting reports on various sites regarding the HDR pass-through.

If I disregard the receiver are the speakers (SKS-HT588) any good if I paired them with another Atmos enabled amp?

Would they pair well with a Yamaha RX-V581? A friend of mine is contemplating changing his receiver and he would be freeing up one of these.

Cheers.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Kelly,

thanks for the post - as far as I know the HTR494 that comes bundled with the HTS5805 does NOT pass through HDR - I stand to be corrected on this but I'm 99% sure that's the case.

If it was me I would probably just buy the SKSHT588 Atmos speaker pack and a separate ATMOS AVR like the Denon AVRX2500:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203414-denon-avrx2500h-atmos-av-receiver.aspx

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201497-onkyo-sksht588-black-atmos-5-1-2-speaker-package.aspx

We can do the bundle of the DENON AVRX2500 & Onkyo SKSHT588 at just £749..

Keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the reply. Really looking to get an Atmos set up going. Might just do what you said and wait til the new year and try to confirm with Onkyo.

As I say I’ve seen quite a few conflicting reports on various sites regarding the HDR pass-through.

If I disregard the receiver are the speakers (SKS-HT588) any good if I paired them with another Atmos enabled amp?

Would they pair well with a Yamaha RX-V581? A friend of mine is contemplating changing his receiver and he would be freeing up one of these.

Cheers.
    Hi  Kellyg6,

The SKSHT588 speakers are very good and would pair well with the RXV581 but I would say the speakers Kenny recommended above would give a much better sound as the Atmos speakers are dedicated and the build quality is better.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

Hi David,

Many thanks for all the info. Unfortunately my budget is as usual the main factor in some of my decisions.

After looking around and researching a bit I’m starting to veer away from the Atmos enabled up-firing speakers and look more towards using satellites.

If I was to get the new amp for the Atmos set up could I continue to use my current 5.1 speakers for the moment and add something like the Dali Zensor 1’s as wall mounted near the ceiling for the Atmos effect.

I could then change the 5.1 set up when the funds allow.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Hi David,

Many thanks for all the info. Unfortunately my budget is as usual the main factor in some of my decisions.

After looking around and researching a bit I’m starting to veer away from the Atmos enabled up-firing speakers and look more towards using satellites.

If I was to get the new amp for the Atmos set up could I continue to use my current 5.1 speakers for the moment and add something like the Dali Zensor 1’s as wall mounted near the ceiling for the Atmos effect.

I could then change the 5.1 set up when the funds allow.

Cheers.
    Hi Kellyg6.

You can still use your current 5.1 speaker pack with a new amp.

Regarding the Atmos speakers. Normal bookshelf's do not really do the job correctly for Atmos as it needs to be either upward firing or downward firing to get the correct Atmos config. You can mount book shelf speaker and point them inwwards/downwards but it will not give the correct Atmos feel. We have tried this out in our demo room against the other ways to do it and the bookselfs lack the effect the upward or inceiling give.

Dali make their own Atmos speaker the Dali Alteco C1's priced at £259
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203058-dali-alteco-c1-black-surround-speakers-per-pair.aspx

Let me now your thoughts.

Hi Kenny,

That info really helps. Think I’ve made my decisions and ready to order.

Final question before I order, what’s the pros/cons in paying euro or sterling?

Cheers.

Hi Kenny,

That info really helps. Think I’ve made my decisions and ready to order.

Final question before I order, what’s the pros/cons in paying euro or sterling?

Cheers.
    Hey Kellyg6.

It really is down to which currency works out cheapest for yourself in the end.

If charged in sterling your bank would do the conversion to Euro.
    If paying in Euro then you could convert it to sterling to see if it works out cheaper than the quoted sterling.

Many thanks Kenny to all of you for the advice and help. Really appreciate it.

Many thanks Kenny to all of you for the advice and help. Really appreciate it.
    You are more than welcome Kellyg6 :)

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.