Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first homebrew!

Options
  • 26-12-2018 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I'm going to start my first home brew this week after recieving a lovely HB goofy for Xmas.
    It's an IPA. Will normal sugar be ok to use our do I really need the brewing sugar that's been suggested?
    Any other advice on making my first batch would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

idnkph wrote: »
    Hi all
    I'm going to start my first home brew this week after recieving a lovely HB goofy for Xmas.
    It's an IPA. Will normal sugar be ok to use our do I really need the brewing sugar that's been suggested?
    Thank you

You can use normal sugar but brewing sugar will give a better final result. Make sure you wait until primary fermentation is complete. Patience is key with brewing, especially on the first batch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There's not much difference between brewing sugar and ordinary sugar, and neither is ideal. Use what you have, but malt extract (dried, aka spraymalt, for preference) will make a better beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BilboBagOfCans

Hi all
    Thank you

Can you let me know/ send me a link for the kit you received? I'm really interested to try it out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

BeerNut wrote: »
    There's not much difference between brewing sugar and ordinary sugar, and neither is ideal. Use what you have, but malt extract (dried, aka spraymalt, for preference) will make a better beer.

Presumably the kit has been designed to have sugar added to it. If you use spray malt you'll end up with a maltier beer than intended (possibly).

The 1.8kg kits are definitely not designed with quality beer as the goal. Any simple improvements you can make are worth doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

BeerNut wrote:
    The 1.8kg kits are definitely not designed with quality beer as the goal. Any simple improvements you can make are worth doing.

Will I get the dried one from home-brew.ie?
    Anything else you would recommend?
    I have a better brew 2.1kg IPA to go with it. It makes 23 litres.

Will I get the dried one from home-brew.ie?
    I wouldn't go changing any plans you already have, but if you're buying kits that need top-up fermentables, buy dry malt extract to go with it. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

How has your first brew gone OP,, thinking of doing one for a long time now!
    Any tips ?

Advertisement