Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour's bamboo spreading under adjoining fence

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

I'm not sure how many times I have to say it. He is not approachable. I've been living beside him since the houses were built ten years ago. The first thing we saw of him was when he punched the builder in the front yard because the drains were blocked. When he washes his front driveway he sprays towards my car in my driveway. I've tried talking to him about other issues before. He just makes threats. I may just get a solicitor to send him a letter. Doesn't seem like there's a reasonable permanent solution to this from my side. We're talking about 30 foot of adjoining wall so a solicitors letter would probably be cheaper than getting the work done to dig everything up on my side and install a guard.

I don't know enough about him, but it sounds like he is stubborn, disagreeable and enjoys a fight, he probably knows how the bamboo spreads and is prepared to grind you down slowly and methodically. How did that incident with the builder end up being resolved? Were Gardai called and was he cautioned or reprimanded for that? Does he hold down a job? If he has time on his hands he is unlikely to respond to the solicitors letter and will make you escalate to the next stage before he does anything.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'm not being funny, get some advice on which chemical to use... Discretely apply it (several times if necessary..) and then cut it back.. It could take a season or 2 to fully die back.. Then cut it back, and be prepared to treat any new shoots growing under the wall as they emerge..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I don't know enough about him, but it sounds like he is stubborn, disagreeable and enjoys a fight, he probably knows how the bamboo spreads and is prepared to grind you down slowly and methodically. How did that incident with the builder end up being resolved? Were Gardai called and was he cautioned or reprimanded for that? Does he hold down a job? If he has time on his hands he is unlikely to respond to the solicitors letter and will make you escalate to the next stage before he does anything.

Don't think the builder made a complaint. And, no, he has no job. I'm slightly hopeful the wife has kicked him out because he has been noticeably absent the last few weeks so I'll bide my time a little on the solicitor til I find out. But even if he is gone and his wife is approachable, it sounds like a big enough job to do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Don't think the builder made a complaint. And, no, he has no job. I'm slightly hopeful the wife has kicked him out because he has been noticeably absent the last few weeks so I'll bide my time a little on the solicitor til I find out. But even if he is gone and his wife is approachable, it sounds like a big enough job to do it right.

If your observation turns out to be the case a solicitors letter will definitely see him return. You need a better profile of your neighbours before you act and a public forum is no place to do it. The ideal technical solution from your perspective is to destroy the plant, however the plant serves a purpose to block your field of view and provide some privacy especially with your security camera in place, so removing the plant also removes your neighbours peace of mind. If the situation is as speculated then the current occupant may not have the time, resources or inclination to remove said plant and will see a solicitors letter as a personal attack.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

wildwillow wrote: »
    Surely I have a right to control what's growing in my garden. Bamboo can be as invasive as japanese knotweed. You cannot be held responsible for any damage caused on the other side of the wall as a side effect of clearing a patch in your garden, using an acceptable weed killer. I doubt the treatment on a part of the root will kill the entire plant.
    It will continue to invade your space unless you put in a barrier. This is going to be a difficult and costly job. Depending on the species, a barrier may not be enough.

You will probably have to resort to the legal route if it continues to damage your property.

I wish neighbours like yours didn't exist, but they do and manage to make everyone's life a misery. It is hard not to be drawn into a feud but try to mantain calm and use your legal rights to resolve the situation.

Document every interaction and don't be tempted to lower your behaviour standards to theirs.
    If this is solved there will always be another cause for them to annoy you.

They also thrive on the attention they get from harassing you. Meat and drink to them. I learned that the hard way many years ago and now do not live where there are near neighbours ... Glad I have that choice. OP, kill it on your side; how would they ever know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Put on a panda suit and start prowling around your garden, pawing at the bamboo. If a rat disturbed him before, this might just push him over the edge...

(Non-AH suggestion: go for the Roundup).

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

+1 to roundup probio , another tip, make sure you cut into root before you pour and keep applying. Also, plants die but roots stay a long time so do earlier rather later.

ALSO, if you have animals/kids keep away until it dries away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I wouldn't use weedkiller especially with a neighbour like that. You need a long term solution that is legal & won't effect his plant.

I would use a piece of steel sheet, preferably galvanised. It needs to be fairly thick so you can hammer it into the soil to form a physical barrier. Sometimes it's helpful to cut a slot with a spade first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Discodog wrote: »
    I wouldn't use weedkiller especially with a neighbour like that. You need a long term solution that is legal & won't effect his plant.

I would use a piece of steel sheet, preferably galvanised. It needs to be fairly thick so you can hammer it into the soil to form a physical barrier. Sometimes it's helpful to cut a slot with a spade first.

How deep would this have to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

2-3 foot, depends on the type of bamboo though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Not that deep but I would make it at least two feet. Any strong material would do but often steel can just be hammered into the soil.

Advertisement