Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Munster January Sales Thread AKA Munster V Leinster build up thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

As I said... irrelevant ...unless the league ends on Sunday evening

Lol.

Unfortunately for Munster, the people in charge seem to have as good a grasp of things as you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Sirius Boner

Lol.

Unfortunately for Munster, the people in charge seem to have as good a grasp of things as you do.

If you offered us 9 points in the Heineken cup guaranteed Vs beating Leinster...guess which one we'd take .
    This game is irrelevant as far as the season goes...we lose...we can make up any perceived lost ground rapidly...
    we win...and we're a little more comfortable....
    anyone that thinks that mathematical gymnastics of us perhaps being outside the European qualification places after the game is a worry...well....it's your grasp of reality that needs attention...not ours ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Serbian

Munster need a win pretty badly here. They have 5 away games remaining in the league, two vs the chasers in their conference, Ospreys and Connacht, and they have two further losable games away to Scarlets and Treviso, especially considering their away form this season.

On the flip side, Leinster are coasting 16 points clear with both chasers to come to the RDS, Ulster in the following game. We also have 6 of our remaining games at home and 3 away following this one.

I just don’t see how this game matters to Leinster on a strategic level, and Munster desperately need this win. I think we’ll do Munster a favour this weekend and send a fairly weak team, Munster will be well up for this, go full strength with Carbery who will have a point to prove.

Munster by 7 with a try bonus point imo.

If you offered us 9 points in the Heineken cup guaranteed Vs beating Leinster...guess which one we'd take .
    This game is irrelevant as far as the season goes...we lose...we can make up any perceived lost ground rapidly...
    we win...and we're a little more comfortable....
    anyone that thinks that mathematical gymnastics of us perhaps being outside the European qualification places after the game is a worry...well....it's your grasp of reality that needs attention...not ours ;)

The game clearly isn't irrelevant, no matter how much you (bizarrely) try to claim it is. It's just classic getting your excuses in early. Picking between this and Europe is a complete nonsense because it's not actually a choice, Munster can win all three games believe it or not.

The game clearly isn't irrelevant, no matter how much you (bizarrely) try to claim it is. It's just classic getting your excuses in early. Picking between this and Europe is a complete nonsense because it's not actually a choice, Munster can win all three games believe it or not.

Is it possible to win all three games... yes...is it probable...no

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Like last year you mean

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭elliot_st

Potential Leinster XV:

1. Cian Healy
    2. James Tracy
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Devin Toner
    5. James Ryan
    6. Dan Leavy
    7. Josh Van Der Flier
    8. Jack Conan
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. James Lowe
    12. Rory O'Loughlin
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. Adam Byrne
    15. Jordan Larmour
    16. Bryan Byrne
    17. Ed Byrne
    18. Andrew Porter
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Rhys Ruddock
    21. Jamison Gibson Park
    22. Ciaran Frawley
    23. Noel Reid

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Surely if it’s not probable, you target the home wins? If both sides went full strength Munster would be slight favorites. So the match is very winnable even without knowing the teams.

elliot_st wrote: »
    Potential Leinster XV:

1. Cian Healy
    2. James Tracy
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Devin Toner
    5. James Ryan
    6. Dan Leavy
    7. Josh Van Der Flier
    8. Jack Conan
    9. Luke McGrath
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. James Lowe
    12. Rory O'Loughlin
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. Adam Byrne
    15. Jordan Larmour
    16. Bryan Byrne
    17. Ed Byrne
    18. Andrew Porter
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Rhys Ruddock
    21. Jamison Gibson Park
    22. Ciaran Frawley
    23. Noel Reid

Unless Kearney snr is still injured, which I don’t think he is. He will probably start this game. Also think one of Ryan or Toner will sit this out and swap next weekend.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Unless Kearney snr is still injured, which I don’t think he is. He will probably start this game. Also think one of Ryan or Toner will sit this out and swap next weekend.

Possibly, just having a guess.

Maybe Toner rested. I'd like to see Molony/Ryan pair up, old school combo, don't think they started many games together oddly.

• Advertisement

Surely if it’s not probable, you target the home wins? If both sides went full strength Munster would be slight favorites. So the match is very winnable even without knowing the teams.

Target a Pro 14 home win over a Heineken cup away win...no..I'm afraid that isn't happening in any world

Possibly, just having a guess.

Maybe Toner rested. I'd like to see Molony/Ryan pair up, old school combo, don't think they started many games together oddly.

I thought Moloney was two years ahead of Ryan, didn’t realize they were in the same team. Be interesting to see if we go down as strong as your selection though.

I thought Moloney was two years ahead of Ryan, didn’t realize they were in the same team. Be interesting to see if we go down as strong as your selection though.

Yeah when Molony was in 6th year, Ryan started at lock alongside him as a 4th year. They made the final of the cup and lost to a Ringrose inspired Rock team.

Target a Pro 14 home win over a Heineken cup away win...no..I'm afraid that isn't happening in any world

I was more thinking of targeting the home match in the pro 14 over the away match in the pro 14 next week. Munster should be able to go full strength this week and in the two European matches. With Munsters away form under VG, targeting an away win in any competition is fanciful though.

I was more thinking of targeting the home match in the pro 14 over the away match in the pro 14 next week. Munster should be able to go full strength this week and in the two European matches. With Munsters away form under VG, targeting an away win in any competition is fanciful though.

JVG's future at Munster depends on qualifying for the knock out stages of the Heineken cup...not a morale boosting Pro14 win unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

God this team announcement can't come quick enough.

JVG's future at Munster depends on qualifying for the knock out stages of the Heineken cup...not a morale boosting Pro14 win unfortunately.

With Munsters away form this is more than a moral boosting exercise, I’d have thought winning all your home games was vital to guarantee 2nd place in the conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Munster:
    Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Fineen Wycherley, Chris Cloete, CJ Stander (C).

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Jeremy Loughman, Stephen Archer, Billy Holland, Arno Botha, Alby Mathewson, Tyler Bleyendaal, Darren Sweetnam.

No POM and Bleyendaal on the bench. Goggin starts after injury.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Jordan Larmour (30)
    14. Dave Kearney (128)
    13. Garry Ringrose (57)
    12. Rory O’Loughlin (51)
    11. James Lowe (22)
    10. Johnny Sexton (155) CAPTAIN
    9. Luke McGrath (104)
    1. Cian Healy (199)
    2. James Tracy (79)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (93)
    4. Scott Fardy (32)
    5. James Ryan (23)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (152)
    7. Josh van der Flier (68)
    8. Jack Conan (82)

16. Bryan Byrne (33)
    17. Peter Dooley (55)
    18. Michael Bent (113)
    19. Ross Molony (74)
    20. Max Deegan (30)
    21. Hugh O’Sullivan (4)
    22. Ciarán Frawley (7)
    23. Noel Reid (109)

• Advertisement

Dave Kearney ahead of Adam Byrne for Leinster, what the jaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Ooooh, juicy lineups.

Leinster by a score.

considering Byrne isn't playing, I wouldnt say that at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

So obviously no henshaw or SOB. But can we take it they’re resting Kearney, Byrne Ross, Byrne Adam, Cronin, Toner and Leavy?

Bridge93 wrote: »
    So obviously no henshaw or SOB. But can we take it they’re resting Kearney, Byrne Ross, Byrne Adam, Cronin, Toner and Leavy?

Yep.

The Leinster bench is terrible. Munster have a great opportunity to win.

The line has moved to Leinster -3.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 416 ✭✭Thermoman12

How Dave Kearney is still a professional rugby player is beyond me, he’s barely AIL standard

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Munster:
    Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Fineen Wycherley, Chris Cloete, CJ Stander (C).

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Jeremy Loughman, Stephen Archer, Billy Holland, Arno Botha, Alby Mathewson, Tyler Bleyendaal, Darren Sweetnam.

No POM and Bleyendaal on the bench. Goggin starts after injury.

Very happy to see Goggin back, was playing very well before injury. Can't recall how Wycherly has fared at 6 so far this season tho?

aloooof wrote: »
    Very happy to see Goggin back, was playing very well before injury. Can't recall how Wycherly has fared at 6 so far this season tho?

Wycherley has played there quite a bit this season. It's interesting to see him retained ahead of Botha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Doesn't that mean the bookies think Leinster are more likely to win than before the teams were announced?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

How Dave Kearney is still a professional rugby player is beyond me, he’s barely AIL standard

I don't know if this is a pisstake on the old Lowe analogy, but DK would dominate the AIL and is more than able at this level.

If you're not taking the piss, then have a word with yourself.

• Advertisement

Doesn't that mean the bookies think Leinster are more likely to win than before the teams were announced?

Yes. I wouldn't move the line personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Terrible is a bit harsh. It could definitely be stronger, but there isnt that much between them.

I do agree that munster have a great opportunity to win, but that has more to do with home advantage and needing the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Terrible is a bit harsh. It could definitely be stronger, but there isnt that much between them.

Compared to the usual Leinster replacements we're used to seeing, where they come on and close out a game it's definitely a much weaker set. The Munster bench is arguably stronger/more experienced and could be the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Compared to the usual Leinster replacements we're used to seeing, where they come on and close out a game it's definitely a much weaker set. The Munster bench is arguably stronger/more experienced and could be the difference.

So you are basically agreeing but using twice as many words:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Is this the first Sexton v Carbery matchup since Joey moved south?

So you are basically agreeing but using twice as many words:D

Isn't that the way it works around here ...

Munster still have to travel to Connacht , Ospreys and Scarlets this season. I reckon the team going to Galway will be full strength, with POM returning at six.

A win tomorrow may be vital to catch Glasgow. Their remaining away games are Benetton, Cardiff, Zebre and Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Munster are ****ed. Leinster by 40 points

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Now that's two proper line ups. Should be a good game for sure now.

I'd put Leinster at about -6 though myself.

It's good to see decent lineups for the interpros for once, the last couple of years it's usually been one full strength vs a weaker side or both putting out the reserves.

• Advertisement

Munster are ****ed. Leinster by 40 points

You're being overcautious for once :D

This is going to be tremendous

Probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

I know most people think of M Bent as a solid pro but I think he is rapidly going downhill. Does he ever pass the ball, or even do something he learned in NZ?

antietam1 wrote: »
    I know most people think of M Bent as a solid pro but I think he is rapidly going downhill. Does he ever pass the ball, or even do something he learned in NZ?

I'd say he's easily one the best third choice tight heads in Europe.

he was poor versus Connacht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I'd say he's easily one the best third choice tight heads in Europe.

He has always suffered from people blaming him because a Kidney dropped him straight into the Irish squad.
    He’s a decent prop and ideal squad player.

everyone was poor versus Connacht.

FYP!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

he was poor versus Connacht.

So were a number of players.

I genuinely don't understand why people say 'he was poor against x' as if one performance proves an overall point.

Faugheen wrote: »
    So were a number of players.

I genuinely don't understand why people say 'he was poor against x' as if one performance proves an overall point.

did I say it proved an overall point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

What tv channels will we have to choose from for this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement