Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1700 video and editing

Options
  • 26-12-2018 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Fairly clueless looking for a decent setup for the money and future proof if possible, I have an overall budget of €2000 for desktop and monitor thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

copperhead wrote: »
    Fairly clueless looking for a decent setup for the money and future proof if possible, I have an overall budget of €2000 for desktop and monitor thanks

I'd wait til after CES and see what the new 3rd Gen Ryzens are like, they are probably going to be the best bang for buck for video editing. Also should be some news on the improved AMD GPU's out at the same time which might be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

What software do you use? Adobe runs much better on Intel rather than AMD chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Paulw wrote: »
    What software do you use? Adobe runs much better on Intel rather than AMD chips.

TBH it's only because Intel chips can clock higher & Adobe hasn't optimized for multi-core enough.

If AMD can close the gap with Ryzen 3000 it'll be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

Thanks guys good advice ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    TBH it's only because Intel chips can clock higher & Adobe hasn't optimized for multi-core enough.

I think it's also that Adobe optimise their code to better use the Intel processors over AMD. Plenty of reviews out there comparing the processors, AMD V Intel, for Adobe products, which nearly always perform better on Intel.

Of course, when exporting using Adobe Media Encoder, there are some known issues on AMD chips, which is much slower than on a comparable Intel chips.

Certainly, for video editing, exporting, etc, Intel performs better.

Just one comparable example -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeFsX6TM2aU

For other things, like gaming, then the AMD is certainly well up there, or even ahead on many counts.

For video editing, the software you use can have a big impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

If AMD can close the gap with Ryzen 3000 it'll be very interesting.

A lot of Adobe products(like Premiere) use the Intel IGPU heavily for hardware acceleration. To the point where some tasks can be done faster by a 8400 then a 28 core Xeon and Titan Card.

I can see the reason why they would focus heavily on that path but it does mean that for Adobe specifically, a Intel cpu without a dedicated gpu makes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

Thanks guys after a bit of research it seems that Adobe does favour cpu over gpu so the spec I went for is
    Intel i7 9700k
    500gb m2ssd
    32gb 3200 mhz dual channel
    Nvidia gtx 1070ti gpu
    Etc etc should be sufficient for all my editing needs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

copperhead wrote: »
    Thanks guys after a bit of research it seems that Adobe does favour cpu over gpu so the spec I went for is
    Intel i7 9700k
    500gb m2ssd
    32gb 3200 mhz dual channel
    Nvidia gtx 1070ti gpu
    Etc etc should be sufficient for all my editing needs

As I said, I'd wait til CES is over, it runs 8th -12th Jan, and should give details on Ryzen Gen 3 and new AMD Graphics cards, it is certainly worth seeing what improvements these bring as they may well shape how your new rig should look.

Advertisement