Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips for long distance flight with toddler

• 26-12-2018 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I’m heading to Australia soon with our 22 month old for a long family holiday. It’ll be our first time flying with the little one and I’m kind of dreading the flight. We’ll have lots of entertainment for her, snacks, toys, books, her favourite teddy, episodes of her favourite show downloaded onto a tablet... every possible distraction we can think of.

We also reckon there’s only so much planning we can do as she’ll go through every conceivable mood during 24 hours of travelling so we’ll go with the flow as much as possible.

But for those of you who’ve done long distance flights with little ones, what are your dos and don’ts? What worked for you? What would you do differently?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Haven’t done long haul but for any flights I’d have a small ziplock plastic bag with nappies and wipes so if she needs a change I can grab the small bag without rooting through the big changing bag, same for a change of clothes for her in case. Probably useful to do another ziplock with snacks. Just to have everything organised so it’s not one big mess in a changing bag (like mine usually is!).

And then a few new toys, my little one loved the small etch a sketch things at that age and they don’t make noise or need pieces etc. Nothing with small pieces that can keep falling on the floor. My little one loved stickers even at that age.
    You’ll need quite a bit of stuff for those length of flights but the less hand luggage the better for connecting airports etc and so you don’t have to be rummaging through big bags.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Easily collapsable buggy or sling, for use in the airports where possible.
    A couple of lollipops for sucking in emergencies.
    Small calpol bottle, just in case.
    Clothes change for you.
    Couple of new books, preferably with lift the flaps or something interactive.
    Couple of plastic bags tucked away!!!
    Crackers or snacks in resealable lunch bags.
    Small toys as someone else said, with no parts that drop (I have made that mistake!!!).
    I would do my best to hold out on giving the screen as long as possible, just to get maximum use out of it as a big treat!
    If she has a special blanket or something, try to bring it for the plane.(but do not lose it!!!)

Oh and a strap that goes around your buggy when it’s folded just in case it pops open as they’re putting it onto the plane etc-have seen baggage handlers be less than gentle with buggies and generally haven’t a clue how to re fold them. I had a luggage strap that I adjusted before we got to the airport and as soon as I folded it at the gate popped it around the buggy so if the clasp gives up the buggy stays folded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Double check where you'll be getting the buggy back. When we went to Vancouver we didn't get the buggy back til we were at the luggage carousel. When we arrived back in Dublin we were halfway to the luggage carousel when my sister rang to say the buggies had been taken off and left at the end of the steps. Had to run all the way back to the plane to get it.
    Controversial, but it worked very well for me but we used antihistamine to get a longer nap out of her. She was 17 months flying 9 hours along with her cousin who was 28months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Book your seats in the first row behind a bulkhead and request a bassinet.
    Most airlines will provide them.
    https://goo.gl/images/4jFyxy

• Advertisement

Book your seats in the first row behind a bulkhead and request a bassinet. Most airlines will provide them.

Only really for tiny babies. 22months is too old for the bassinet. Most long haul airlines are very good at automatically seating families together though when travelling with children.

Another thing, even though you'll have priority boarding when travelling with a child, don't bother boarding early. We joined the queue when the plane was almost fully boarded and saved ourselves 30mins of trying to keep herself entertained on the plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Don't let them go out in the aisle, if you give in and go walking with them they will keep trying to get out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

smaoifs wrote: »
    Only really for tiny babies. 22months is too old for the bassinet. Most long haul airlines are very good at automatically seating families together though when travelling with children.

We’ve gone to New York 3 times with toddlers and booked them each time. You get extra floor space with those seats so they’re ideal for travelling with young kids and no seats in front for the kids to pull out of ! OP I’d definitley book them.

I don’t have too much to add bar the fact that some people will throw looks, ignore them! Take a deep breathe and know it’ll pass. The majority of other travellers understand. Coming home from NY when my middle daughter was 18mths she screamed for about 40 mins while we’re were trying to land (plane went into a holding pattern which was less then ideal!!!). The air hostesses were brilliant, really tried to distract her and assure me she was fine. You’ll have moments when when your child will have wobbles, they’re only human!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

DONT... and i mean DONT walk up and down the aisles if she cries.

I know some babies cry and cant help it, but on a recent 9 hour flight I had a set of “parents” (and I use that term loosely) walking all over the plane with a screaming kid. (Older than 22 months). 6 hours of screaming. Eventually, the woman behind could take it no more and asked to try to calm the child. 2 seconds is all it took.

The same father was a mean M*****F***** and admonished the staff and the mother was just plain rude to everyone.

The woman who asked to calm the child was an angel sent to all of us on board. Needless to say, we didn’t blame the child but those parents got looks that would kill.

• Advertisement

Yep I find if you leave the kids up with you, or let them walk up and down themselves then they’ll want to be up all the time. If you say they’re not allowed from the start it’s much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

No sugar! We had a short 4 hour trip but i never knew our 15 month old had been given ice cream and Smarties before the flight by her gran aunts. She was exhausted but buzzing on sugar, poor thing was such a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ally_pally

Thanks so much everyone, really great advice there. We have the bassinet booked but we know she’ll be way too big for it. We booked it to make sure we’re seated in that spot with no seats in front of us and some extra space.

I had never thought about not leaving her walk along the aisles but that makes total sense. Thanks for helping us dodge a bullet with that!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Calpol before takeoff and descent! My GP gave me that tip when I was taking my then 8 month old on a flight for the first time and it was a lifesaver. I give the calpol as soon as we sit down, and then it’s working by the time the plane starts takeoff and will help stop sore ears. Also bring a couple of soothers, in case cabin pressure is really bad, it’s easier for them to take a soother than it is to chew something, and you can’t give sucky sweets to kids that small.

Advertisement