Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Cover for iPad - any good?

Options
  • 27-12-2018 12:43am
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

My husband got me an iPad for Christmas and I want to buy a cover for it but not sure what to go for. It’s mainly going to be staying at home, I won’t be bringing it out and about or anything. I’d like something nice and slim, and the apple smart covers look nice, but it didn’t seem to have great reviews on the apple store. Has anyone here used one and was it any good? Or is there a similar alternative anyone can recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

I was about to go out and buy one of these. Would they not be the best case for the iPad albeit expensive?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I figured seeing as it was an actual apple case, that it would be good, but then a lot of people in the reviews were complaining about them falling off when using the case as a stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Hi Toots. I'm assuming it is the 2018 9.7" iPad you have.

I have a relatively affordable Moko smart case on my 2017 iPad Pro with over a year and it seems to be holding up pretty well so far.
    Like you, I don't take the iPad out & about. I use it for an hour of mixed usage most evenings.
    The fold up stand isn't 100% steady on anything but a flat surface, but I think that is pretty normal for nearly any case of this style. On a table , desk, or equivalent it works well.
    The magnets are good and strong & keep the front cover attached to the screen very well , it takes a very deliberate action to uncover it.
    The sleep function also works flawlessly.
    Can't attest to how effective case is against drops, as thankfully I have never dropped mine.

This is the same case, just in the version for the 9.7" 2018 iPad

I also bought this Procase smart cover at the same time, and it is near identical in every way to the Moko cover.

I purchased two assuming that whichever of the two I used initially would wear out in 6 months or so, and that I would need another, but so far the first one is still going strong, and the Procase is sitting in a press since my initial test fit, just haven't needed it yet, so happy days.

Anyway this the 9.7" 2018 iPad version of the Procase if you want to have a look.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Jaysus, yeah it probably would have been helpful if I'd said which type of iPad I have :o it's the 2018 6th gen one.

I like the look of both those cases and they don't cost an arm and a leg, so I think I'll go for one of them and see how I get on. Thanks!

duridian wrote: »
    Hi Toots. I'm assuming it is the 2018 9.7" iPad you have.

I have a relatively affordable Moko smart case on my 2017 iPad Pro with over a year and it seems to be holding up pretty well so far.
    Like you, I don't take the iPad out & about. I use it for an hour of mixed usage most evenings.
    The fold up stand isn't 100% steady on anything but a flat surface, but I think that is pretty normal for nearly any case of this style. On a table , desk, or equivalent it works well.
    The magnets are good and strong & keep the front cover attached to the screen very well , it takes a very deliberate action to uncover it.
    The sleep function also works flawlessly.
    Can't attest to how effective case is against drops, as thankfully I have never dropped mine.

This is the same case, just in the version for the 9.7" 2018 iPad

I also bought this Procase smart cover at the same time, and it is near identical in every way to the Moko cover.

I purchased two assuming that whichever of the two I used initially would wear out in 6 months or so, and that I would need another, but so far the first one is still going strong, and the Procase is sitting in a press since my initial test fit, just haven't needed it yet, so happy days.

Anyway this the 9.7" 2018 iPad version of the Procase if you want to have a look.

That moko case looks good, might place an order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭try

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

try wrote: »

Thanks.

Just bought one for the iPad I’ve just ordered!

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

try wrote: »

Another vote for this.

Got two of them in the last week for an iPad Air and a 2018 iPad and they are excellent.

Good quality and better value than the Apple rip off price.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I have this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072XK3M9C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which is similar to the others posted. Its grand, looks nice as well. I say 'grand' because I'm not one to get excited by a cover!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JETech-Apple-9-7-Inch-Model-Smart-Black/dp/B06XZH8SKF

Arrived yesterday.

Fantastic piece of kit. Total bargain.

Thanks for the heads up.

D.

• Advertisement

Dinarius wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/JETech-Apple-9-7-Inch-Model-Smart-Black/dp/B06XZH8SKF

Arrived yesterday.

Fantastic piece of kit. Total bargain.

Thanks for the heads up.

D.

Mine arrived today despite the delivery date of 30th January. Great cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

The Smart Cover is nice and a good stand for the iPad, but it provide very little in the way of protection. Another downside is that it is not stable on a soft surface when using the stand. I've bought one for both of my previous iPad's, but if I was to be traveling with it regularly I'd look elsewhere.

Oh and if you are getting one, don't get a light colour. You'll see dirt on it fairly quickly.

Advertisement