Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Vs Ulster build up thread ( insert smart joke about both provinces here)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

connachta wrote: »
    That's exactly what I've been trying to say for 10 days.

And the gap, way thinner than most think, may be null or the reverse tomorrow. If you add SOB and Butler, Connacht may have the better back-row. Same was said against Leavy/Doris/Ruddock. Same will be said vs any Munster combo, except the best alltogether (TOD/POM/Stander)

And it's about back-row, not overall "green-glasses". As I pointed, Delahunt throws and Leader under high-balls may cost Connacht the game, with more likelihood..

On the one hand you big up the Connacht players. On the other you see finishing mid table as a target. Doesn't stack up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    That's exactly what I've been trying to say for 10 days.

And the gap, way thinner than most think, may be null or the reverse tomorrow. If you add SOB and Butler, Connacht may have the better back-row. Same was said against Leavy/Doris/Ruddock. Same will be said vs any Munster combo, except the best alltogether (TOD/POM/Stander)

And it's about back-row, not overall "green-glasses". As I pointed, Delahunt throws and Leader under high-balls may cost Connacht the game, with more likelihood..

On the one hand you big up the Connacht players. On the other you see finishing mid table as a target. Doesn't stack up

Absolutely wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Absolutely no contradiction

Connacht main team is a middle table team, on a par with Ulster, other middle table team.
    And on a par with Munster or Leinster "A+" teams.
    That's good enough to qualify for European Cup.

Back-row is probably one of the strongest position where Connacht matches other big clubs. Scrumhalf and Centre too. It doesn't mean the rest is the exact same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Butler has 61 super rugby appearances
    Faingaa has 101 super rugby appearances
    I’m sure they played some high level stuff.

I think Coetzee is the best individual backrow starting and Murphy is probably the second. I do think butler and faingaa are underrated by other provinces fan basis, as Leinster found out last week.

We didn't underrate them, we all know/knew Butler is a quality operator and that Fainga'a is a perfectly serviceable pro. Nothing that happened last week changed that. They are not as good as Leavy and Ruddock and not as good as Coetzee and Murphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

troyzer wrote: »
    They should let you lads play at half time actually, like the minis.
    Absolutely wrecked.

If I'm one of those posters, I do apologise.

I've been a bit of a **** lately.

Yes, yes you have. Build up threads are for friendly banter, not trolling and winding people up. See the charter particularly the bit re "Don't be a dick" and post more constructively in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Absolutely no contradiction

Connacht main team is a middle table team, on a par with Ulster, other middle table team.
    And on a par with Munster or Leinster "A+" teams.
    That's good enough to qualify for European Cup.

Back-row is probably one of the strongest position where Connacht matches other big clubs. Scrumhalf and Centre too. It doesn't mean the rest is the exact same.

Connachts aim should be 2nd in the conference this season they’re good enough to do it. Munster are nothing special.

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Connachts aim should be 2nd in the conference this season they’re good enough to do it. Munster are nothing special.

I know you're more ambitious than I am.
    If we get 16 points in our 4 next home games (including 2 interpros and our rival Ospreys), than I think 3rd qualifying spot, or at least home European play-off, will be nailed on.
    There I could dream higher. After March the 2nd, certainly not now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The Leinster back row grew into the match last week. After 80 mins, Ruddock was the top dog. Rewatch the match, you'll see Leavy, Ruddock and Deegan take control.

Connacht couldn't contain the pressure.

On another note, if Coetzee was Irish qualified and healthy, Stander would be the back up imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Dubinusa wrote: »
    The Leinster back row grew into the match last week. After 80 mins, Ruddock was the top dog. Rewatch the match, you'll see Leavy, Ruddock and Deegan take control.

Connacht couldn't contain the pressure.

On another note, if Coetzee was Irish qualified and healthy, Stander would be the back up imo.

That’s a fair assessment, but Connacht’s back row was totally dominant for the first 50 mins of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Clegg wrote: »
    Godwin on the wing again is a ballsy call. It's not his best position. He got a proper doing over from Adam Byrne last week.

It was either that or start Stephen Fitzgerald having been with the team for about 5 mins.

Bealham rested as said in the papers, or injured?
    No injury update is fuc*** annoying for fans..
    Does someone possess inner informations about Finlay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Bealham rested as said in the papers, or injured?
    No injury update is fuc*** annoying for fans..
    Does someone possess inner informations about Finlay?

We don't need to know about injuries though. And after the whole Heaslip and Murray debacles, players are more guarded over what's put out about them

They were really up for it and in fairness the entire Leinster side looked off. As the match wore on the Leinster back row took over. Ruddock in particular.
    That said it was some match. This weeks fare may not be as good.

I thought Bealham was poor last week. I think Dooley was well able for him.
    I think Fitzgerald would be fine on the wing. Godwin is a ballsy call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

evil_seed wrote: »
    We don't need to know about injuries though. And after the whole Heaslip and Murray debacles, players are more guarded over what's put out about them

Where does the money come from to pay the wages of the players? Does it come from supporters who pay for match tickets, TV subscriptions and pay for products that sponsor these guys?

I'd say we at least have a right to know how long someone will be unavailable for...even if we don't necessarily need to know exactly what is wrong with an individual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Agree that there is a balance to be struck between full disclosure and zero information. It doesn’t even need to be precise, even if updates just clarified whether injuries were short (less than one month)/ medium (one to three months) or long term. Something along those lines would work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

bilston wrote: »
    Where does the money come from to pay the wages of the players? Does it come from supporters who pay for match tickets, TV subscriptions and pay for products that sponsor these guys?

I'd say we at least have a right to know how long someone will be unavailable for...even if we don't necessarily need to know exactly what is wrong with an individual.

I'll save someone the bother of pointing out that we don't have a "right" to anyone's personal information... But yes, totally agree, you can't ask the fans to be the 16th man when it suits and tell them to mind their own beeswax when it doesn't.

And rumours are worst than reality, most of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

This Christmas I asked Santa to scrap that Kavanagh's of Charleville ad from Eir Sport.

Useless prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Poor from Leader. Had a front rower and lock in front of him and ran into them upright. Easy choke tackle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Buer wrote: »
    Poor from Leader. Had a front rower and lock in front of him and ran into them upright. Easy choke tackle.

Ulster will be happy enough with their start

Blade seems to really be annoying Mitrea

Lot of silly errors from both sides so far

Surprisingly soft defence from Ulster

Very easy. Could well have been sooner. Ulster not going to be in their European games in good form at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Tremendous start from Connacht.

mangobob wrote: »
    Tremendous start from Connacht.

inDrBBZG_400x400.jpg

This Christmas I asked Santa to scrap that Kavanagh's of Charleville ad from Eir Sport.

Useless prick.

I asked him to give EOS laryngitis. Also bitterly disappointed here...

Very easy. Could well have been sooner. Ulster not going to be in their European games in good form at this rate.

We've won 4 in a row up to now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

SBB roaring like a bull.

• Advertisement

Did Connacht water the pitch before the game or something :confused: the amount of handling errors is unbelievable.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Did Connacht water the pitch before the game or something :confused: the amount of handling errors is unbelievable.

Its raining, no?

McPhillips isn't in the same bracket as Burns. I think he should be getting more pitch time than he has but he looks far less assured. I think we tend to see the best of him when he's come into games where there's no reason not to just throw caution to the wind and the opposition has switched off.

Cian Kelleher, the equal of Henry Speight!

That was gas.

A second terrible kick though.

What on earth was kelleher doing...

Roux lucky not to get binned for collapsing the maul

Wasn't it Kelleher who did something similar against Sale? Needs to get cracking having someone dropping high balls on him in training

That was gas.

A second terrible kick though.
    I genuinely would fancy myself to put those kicks across the field more accurately. Wasn't a sniff of a contest in either.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    What on earth was kelleher doing...

Roux lucky not to get binned for collapsing the maul
    Yup, was as deliberate and blatant as possible on first watch. Just threw himself down. Possibly fortunate they scored or referee might have dealt with it.

• Advertisement

Yup, was as deliberate and blatant as possible on first watch. Just threw himself down. Possibly fortunate they scored or referee might have dealt with it.

Mitrea told him next time he's off after the try was scored

McPhillips isn't in the same bracket as Burns. I think he should be getting more pitch time than he has but he looks far less assured. I think we tend to see the best of him when he's come into games where there's no reason not to just throw caution to the wind and the opposition has switched off.

Based on this yes. I've wondered why he hasn't been getting more opportunities as he has always done well previously, but tonight might be the answer...so far...even the crossfield kick for the try was hardly on the money.

Ref was very vocal after the try - "Next time you're off"

Kelleher is great going forward but a complete liability under the high ball

Its raining, no?

I don’t think so? Think a mist came in as the half wore on but EOS said early on it’s about as perfect as it gets in Galway.

Connacht will be disappointed after the opening 20 minutes. Game nicely poised for the neutral though.

I can see the Connacht bench having a bigger impact although McCloskey will surely be on before long. If he was on the field, Aki isn't scoring that try.

Entertaining enough despite the error count. I returned from the west today. It was damp but not raining. Is it just that horrible mist or actually raining now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Its raining, no?

I don’t think so? Think a mist came in as the half wore on but EOS said early on it’s about as perfect as it gets in Galway.
    Very greasy here and drizzling

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Its just that I thought I saw a steady rain in the glare of the floodlights a few times.

But sure its the Sportsground. Even when its dry up there its still wet :P

Fair enough. Its just that I thought I saw a steady rain in the glare of the floodlights a few times.

But sure its the Sportsground. Even when its dry up there its still wet :P

Seemingly so :pac:

It's December. Even on a dry day in the west the humidity means a heavy dew once it gets dark, and a greasy ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Not the worst weather but it's a weird sideways mist. Ball is slippy but Kelleher should throw on a couple of gaa gloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I reckon that's Kelleher off the radar again

• Advertisement
Advertisement