Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its bash the landlord time again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's simple: many of us don't want to be LLs anymore in this legislative climate. Strengthening anti-eviction legislation will just make things worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The standard of journalism on that paper is really going to the dogs.

Quotes 70%, 50% & 60%. All anecdotal, zero facts. No mention of any of that 70% being evicted for refusing to pay rent.

In a throw away remark they say landlords want their house back!!. That's the issue, being a LL is so stressful they are selling up as you can't make any profit unless you are a big off shore company that doesn't pay tax at paye levels.

But really since when is it the private sectors job to house those that won't pay their rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If over 50% are coming from private sector ... that means over 40% from the public sector???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

If over 50% are coming from private sector ... that means over 40% from the public sector???

People coming from friends sofas, from overcrowded family homes,?????.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Old diesel wrote: »
    People coming from friends sofas, from overcrowded family homes,?????.

Either way, why should it be up to private landlords to house the homeless? Unbelievable article.

• Advertisement

Either way, why should it be up to private landlords to house the homeless? Unbelievable article.

Who should do it today then if we don't have immediate access to the amount of social housing we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Who should do it today then if we don't have immediate access to the amount of social housing we need.

Should landlords be any more responsible for housing the homeless than anyone with a spare bedroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

What do you expect the private market is contracting not expanding
    Am sure the quality turning up are probablity ify while others are down on there luck or in need of special care not just housing.
    Council idiots who have kept there big salaries have mismanaged sold off homes at knocked down prices, have many boarded up units and allow tenants to rack up massive rent arrears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

The standard of journalism on that paper is really going to the dogs.

Quotes 70%, 50% & 60%. All anecdotal, zero facts. No mention of any of that 70% being evicted for refusing to pay rent.

In a throw away remark they say landlords want their house back!!. That's the issue, being a LL is so stressful they are selling up as you can't make any profit unless you are a big off shore company that doesn't pay tax at paye levels.

But really since when is it the private sectors job to house those that won't pay their rent.

I agree the journalistic standard is quite poor, little or no fact checking, taking anecdotes on face value etc. This and the sensationalist language that lends to a portrayal of LL's as nothing more than scum that evict 200 hundred families a month (never any single people, just families)

I particularly deplore the use of the word "evicted" instead of the more accurate "tenancy terminated".

The very first line screams BS.

"Up to 70pc of those presenting as homeless have been evicted by landlords in the private rental sector, senior council bosses have said"

70% of their figure of 200 hundred families a month is over six families (average 4 people per family) per day, every working day of the month being evicted.

Does the Sheriff for Dublin really deal with that many evictions every day?

I agree the journalistic standard is quite poor, little or no fact checking, taking anecdotes on face value etc. This and the sensationalist language that lends to a portrayal of LL's as nothing more than scum that evict 200 hundred families a month (never any single people, just families)

I particularly deplore the use of the word "evicted" instead of the more accurate "tenancy terminated".

The very first line screams BS.

"Up to 70pc of those presenting as homeless have been evicted by landlords in the private rental sector, senior council bosses have said"

70% of their figure of 200 hundred families a month is over six families (average 4 people per family) per day, every working day of the month being evicted.

Does the Sheriff for Dublin really deal with that many evictions every day?

Hes probably just calling everything an eviction.
    Only need the sherriff for overholding.

What percentage of tenancy terminations end up in overholding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Tow

No mention of the overdue rent they are failing to collect. Brendan and Paul, think of all the extra services you could provide what that money! Plus you are there long enough to have overseen the council sell off housing to the private sector.

How about some decent reporting? Nothing about the governments removal of the bottom of the housing market, which helped to cater for many of those now on the street.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Hes probably just calling everything an eviction.
    Only need the sherriff for overholding.

What percentage of tenancy terminations end up in overholding.

Who is he?

I can't believe I just read that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Banning bedsits removed the market for many people on lower incomes and increased average rent and reduced the no of rental units on the market. There has to be laws to support the eviction of tenants who have stopped paying rent .Otherwise we will have fewer landlords on the market.
    The council will evict you if you stop paying rent , i do,nt know how long the process takes .
    Every economy needs a strong rental market, landlords provide a service
    thats vital .
    ,Theres no point in the ida attracting tech companys to ireland if there
    is no where for the new worker,s to live .
    I see many new apartment blocks in dublin with large empty units
    on the ground floor . they have a sign retail unit for rent.
    No shop will rent there because they need x amount of footfall
    to keep in business .
    These units could be rented out to charitys and used as space for single people to live in and expand the no of units on the market.
    The planning rules at present say large apartment blocks
    have to set aside space for at least one retail unit .
    The government needs to have a 10 year plan for social housing and to give more money to the council to repair the hundreds of empty boarded up flats .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

That's a massive issue, not that we need such a huge number of social housing, but the fact that people seem to think it's ok to have such a huge number of social housing and for it to be ready immediately...

Social housing is needed, I absolutely have no issue with that at all. It's great that we can provide that to people in need. However, it's not people in need who are taking up, what I suspect, is the majority of the housing list. People should have somewhere to call home, however they should not have the right to chose to live in prime real estate areas. Not all people in social housing are scumbags, but from stories in this thread and my own experience, it's easy to see why nobody wants to live beside these people.

My neighbor has 3 houses. The family home, a 3 bed house (with garden and garage) in Rathfarnham rented out to a family friend for SFA (800 or that a month), and a house in Blackrock which is empty most of the week. All have been paid for because this person worked. Imagine that, actually working for something, what a pleb. Anyway, on what grounds should any of these additional properties be forcefully sold to house some deadbeat and his/her 5+ wildlings? They are investments, meant for later life when they are needed. He didn't work hard all his live to have it removed because the government can't say NO! to spoiled, lazy wasters. "It's me bleedin' right", yea gtfo. He doesn't want to rent it to strangers who may stop paying rent, or trash the place. He will eventually sell it when he feels the time is right for him.

My cousin is considered homeless. Neither her or her fat louse of a boyfriend have ever worked. Can you imagine never working? Not even in the local spar or seasonal work. The idea of working is so alien them. The only disability they both have is they are both fat... fat from sitting around all day and doing sfa. I would say they are a bit dim witted, but are they? If they have a lovely home, income and everything provided for them for doing nothing? It makes me sick to be related to such deadbeats. And what hope have their 7 kids have, or maybe it's more at this stage? When they see Ma and Da sitting at home all day playing Xbox on the 47inch HDTV?

Landlords are not responsible for the housing crisis. The government is. Landlords should not have to pick up the tab for this. If it goes that way, then landlords should seriously get together and fight this as much as ye can.

I am sick and tired of seeing this country provide for wasters on such a level. If the dole was cut tomorrow, you can be sure that a lot of them would find work pretty quick.

By the way, this rant is about those who never worked, or are long term unemployed because they are lazy/can't be bothered. It is NOT aimed at those that are unemployed (even long term), but are trying to do something about it.

Landlords are not responsible for the housing crisis. The government is. Landlords should not have to pick up the tab for this. If it goes that way, then landlords should seriously get together and fight this as much as ye can.

I am sick and tired of seeing this country provide for wasters on such a level. If the dole was cut tomorrow, you can be sure that a lot of them would find work pretty quick.

By the way, this rant is about those who never worked, or are long term unemployed because they are lazy/can't be bothered. It is NOT aimed at those that are unemployed (even long term), but are trying to do something about it.

I don’t agree that the government is responsible for the housing crisis. Personal responsibility has a huge part to play. ie, one works, saves and buys a home. By all means have the Government come to the aid of those who fall on hard times. If one is unfortunate enough to find themselves homeless it shouldn’t matter a jot if a home is provided for them in Ballymun, Ballyhaunis or Ballygobackward. One refusal and they’re on their own.
    I really believe that funding should be stopped immediately to ALL homeless charities. Vouched costs only should be considered.
    ALL outstanding rents to be collected immediately.

And who would hire them?

Who would ever hire someone who's never worked and who's no desire to work?

Who would ever hire someone who's actively looking for a wet floor to slip on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭The Student

And who would hire them?

That's not the point. Every able bodied person should contribute to society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The claim in the article is that this homelessness was caused by evictions.

Presumably some of them, if not all of them, worked since there were private evictions.

That's not the point. Every able bodied person should contribute to society.

I agree with you there, but it's still a relevant question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

And who would hire them?

If people are threatened with being cut off the State's tit, and the State is actually willing to follow through on that threat, that will give them the desire to work.

It's all well and good providing people with carrots, but you also need a stick as well.

If people are threatened with being cut off the State's tit, and the State is actually willing to follow through on that threat, that will give them the desire to work.

It's all well and good providing people with carrots, but you also need a stick as well.

If I could do one thing in this country it would be to relate the dole to PRSI contributions, if you've been on 100k a year for a decade & have paid tax accordingly, being given 188 a week between jobs is ridiculous. Similarly, being given 188 (and every other benefit) a week indefinitely having never contributed to society is an absolute joke.

It would be impossible to implement immediately but I'd phase it in gradually over a decade, giving those on the couch time to upskill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

riclad wrote: »
    I see many new apartment blocks in dublin with large empty units on the ground floor . they have a sign retail unit for rent.No shop will rent there because they need x amount of footfall
    to keep in business .
    These units could be rented out to charitys and used as space for single people to live in and expand the no of units on the market.
    Housing the homeless where the stores should be in apartment blocks would discourage people from moving in, as it'd be very clear that no shop will ever appear there, and anti-social behaviour may increase.
    Presumably some of them, if not all of them, worked since there were private evictions.
    RAS, HAP, etc, exist to house people in privately owned houses.
    I don’t agree that the government is responsible for the housing crisis.
    The past government allowed money to be given to the local CC rather than having to build a percentage of home for those on Social Welfare. Had said houses being built over the past 15-20 years, there'd be less people on the streets today.
    Personal responsibility has a huge part to play. ie, one works, saves and buys a home.
    And loses it if they stop paying their mortgage.
    I really believe that funding should be stopped immediately to ALL homeless charities. Vouched costs only should be considered.
    So that all homeless people get a bit more desperate for cash, and start mugging people, or other criminal activities? If you have nowhere to go, and need to feed your family, your morals will either have to be gotten rid of, or you'll start/freeze to death.
    How soon will the ones who can't pay be evicted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭The Student

Clean local parks or rivers. Remove graffiti do something to earn your welfare payment. It is so disheartening as a full time worker who is crucified with tax only to be told your tax is to increase to pay for services. We have available resources that we refuse to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭LotharIngum

Both the government and the media are INCREDIBLY THICK

That is the only conclusion at this stage.

They just cant comprehend it. They are totally thick.

The government get rid of rent HAP/Rent allowance. Fine say the landlords, we dont want ity anyway.

Then the government decide introduce rent controls and the MAKE the landlords accept HAP.

Legislation and red tape time after time are introduced to make the landlords do what the government want them to
    so the government dont have to do it.

So eventually it gets too much and the landlords just say im not playing anymore and start leaving the pitch.
    They decide that they just cant play under these unfair rules and go, taking their ball with them to play on the other pitches with
    people who appreciate the nature of the business, like AirBNB guests.

They government then decide oh wait. You cant go and take your ball with you. We will burst your ball and you will come back.

So the rest of the landlords decide that this is just getting worse and worse and there is no way back so they are all leaving now.

And yet the government and the media are blind. They cant see that it was rent controls and legislation that did this. Landlords are drowning under it. There is no way forward for them and they are now realizing it big time. It will never get better and if it does another rule change will just screw them again.

So now there is no way back. What right minded landlord would come back after the treatment they have got so far.
    The rules are changing every 5 minutes. And then you have other investors looking on, saying, jesus, I dont fancy that kind of game, Im not playing that. Goal posts moving and rules changing every 5 minutes and fouls on the the investors by the government and the media cheering this carry-on.

All the while the government and the media rearrange the chairs on the deck of the titanic. Pure stupidity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Clean local parks or rivers. Remove graffiti do something to earn your welfare payment. It is so disheartening as a full time worker who is crucified with tax only to be told your tax is to increase to pay for services. We have available resources that we refuse to use.

That's a great Idea, I like it.
    They could get qualified horticulturist's to supervise the cleaning up.
    Our parks and river walks are a disgrace to the nation.
    Soaking in roundup and full of common fillers, like hebes and acubas, the odd flowering cherry for height, designed by educated idiot's, more than likely landscape architect's with as much creativity as a horse.

We badly need to clean up our amenities here.

Some kind of scheme, even 18 hour's a week including training, plant identification, pruning practices, environmental awareness and crop production.

Give them an apprenticeship in gardening, bring back the park's.

Zero tolerance policy of consumption of alcohol and drugs.

If I could do one thing in this country it would be to relate the dole to PRSI contributions, if you've been on 100k a year for a decade & have paid tax accordingly, being given 188 a week between jobs is ridiculous. Similarly, being given 188 (and every other benefit) a week indefinitely having never contributed to society is an absolute joke.

It would be impossible to implement immediately but I'd phase it in gradually over a decade, giving those on the couch time to upskill.

This wouldn’t cost that much either because those kinds of people wouldn’t be unemployed that long. European countries do that.

You guys are not really reading the mood of the country.

You guys are not really reading the mood of the country.

You mean that we’re not buying into the “We want it all and we want it now, without it costing us a penny” mentality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Not sure council employees would relish the thought of beinga dept redundant so people on the dole could do their work. Of course, once they're on the dole themselves they van het their old job back @€;188.

I'm surprised no one has suggested concentration camps and extermination.

Advertisement