Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its bash the landlord time again

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

Graces7 wrote: »
    I took my smoke alarms out here. They were ultra sensitive and the screaming of them was terrible.

But I do not do things like lighting candles in such places. Or drinking.

I had a tenant who did same i got and engineer out to check the system he reported back to me the system was fine and insisted no one should ever remove these sensors unless they are faulty and it should only done by a qualified person.
    I issued a warning they still took them down again didnt renew part 4 so now they are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The very vent that might save your life in the even of a carbon monoxide incident.

Don't block that.

I left the other vents clear. There is abundant ventilation here, believe me. Bless your caring but be at ease re me. And there is no way to live with the vent above the bed. The north wind blows straight in.

I had a tenant who did same i got and engineer out to check the system he reported back to me the system was fine and insisted no one should ever remove these sensors unless they are faulty and it should only done by a qualified person.
    I issued a warning they still took them down again didnt renew part 4 so now they are gone.

My smoke/heat alarms, well apart from the one he had put right above the gas cooker that I axed to death, were removed by a highly qualified electrician. They are very simple devices. All you do it take the battery out and you can put it back at any time.

My landlord is fine about it all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

He shouldn't be.

Apart from the obviously increased risk to yourself and the property, it's quite likely you've put the landlord in the position where the property no longer meets the minimum standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

My smoke/heat alarms, well apart from the one he had put right above the gas cooker that I axed to death, were removed by a highly qualified electrician. They are very simple devices. All you do it take the battery out and you can put it back at any time.

With ref my system is a modern integrated one in a multi-unit dwelling required and regularly certified it is legal requirement as is fire blankets and fire exit plan
    The LL is not adhering to current standards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If the property is ever inspected- its not compliant with minimum renting standards (and you do not get to pick and choose which standards suit you and which don't)- and in the event of an unfortunate fire or accident- any insurance policy on the property would be deemed null and void.

Just because it suited you- or didn't suit you- to have firealarms- or ventilation removed or nullified- does not mean its your right to do so- or your landlord's right to allow you to do so.

If the property is ever inspected- its not compliant with minimum renting standards (and you do not get to pick and choose which standards suit you and which don't)- and in the event of an unfortunate fire or accident- any insurance policy on the property would be deemed null and void.

Just because it suited you- or didn't suit you- to have firealarms- or ventilation removed or nullified- does not mean its your right to do so- or your landlord's right to allow you to do so.

It was and is medical need. I have a hearing impairment that makes the shrieking damaging and painful.

Please do not now trivialise disability factors; blessings and thanks.

Rights? OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It doesn't change the fact that you're LL is most likely uninsured. Any insurance I've had required two smoke alarms to be fitted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It was and is medical need. I have a hearing impairment that makes the shrieking damaging and painful.

Rights? OK.

There are different types of firealarms you can get- no-one is trivialising disabilities- we are simply stating the law is black and white- you do not get a derogation from the need to have fire alarms because you have a hearing impediment (as indeed do I). There are firealarms specifically for deaf or the hard-of-hearing- most of which feature strobe lighting.

Up to 20% of all fire alarm systems fitted in Ireland annually are specifically for the deaf or the hard-of-hearing- reflecting the fact that greater than 1-in-6 of all Irish people have severe to complete hearing impediments in this country. This is what you *need*- removing the batteries from the pre-existing system- is, quite frankly, incredibly short sighted- and illegal.

Talk to your local officer- he/she can suggest local installers of smoke alarm and/or suppression systems- suitable for the hard-of-hearing- pretty much any installer keeps a supply of these systems in stock.

I'm not entirely sure who your electrician was- however, he/she has left you without a fire warning/smoke detection system- the absence of which, in the context of a rental property- is illegal (if you own the house- its not illegal- but it will void any insurance policy you have on the property).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

beauf wrote: »
    I think the problem is if you have a vent thats in line with the prevailing wind. It just blows straight into it. You can get baffles/cowls for them to minimise this.

Sticking a 6" hole in a wall seems very medieval.
    In Germany (and other continental countries) they never did this vent thing. That constant draught would be considered incredibly wasteful. Everyone knows you should properly air your place at least in the mornings. All windows are thrown wide open to create a strong cross draught that quickly exchanges the damp air inside for drier air outside. The early mornings are best because the air is at its coldest and so has had to shed most of its moisture (that's where morning dew comes from) and can take on plenty when let in to the dwelling. Doing it in this way preserves the heat in the dwelling (the air itself doesn't hold the heat, the structure and its contents do).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I'd be very wary of any electrician ( 'highly qualified' or not) , who would remove smoke alarms.
    I also find it very odd that the council told you it was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Rights? OK.

You’re either taking the pi*ss or very stupid. I can’t belive you would be stupid enough to disable smoke or fire alarms. Very glad you are not my tenant.

fineso.mom wrote: »
    I'd be very wary of any electrician ( 'highly qualified' or not) , who would remove smoke alarms.
    I also find it very odd that the council told you it was fine.

As they are way behind with fitting alarms and other works, that is fine too.
    Far more vital to get them into houses where there are larger families with kids than just me here ..
    It was their electrician.. Fine man and fine worker..When he was stoopid enough to put a heat alarm directly above the gas hob and wire the m so that when one went off they all did? All because I was cooking.

That made the place uninhabitable and a health hazard for someone with my disabilities and this is a disability assisted property .

We managed fine without them all these decades. I am happier without them .

Graham wrote: »
    He shouldn't be.

Apart from the obviously increased risk to yourself and the property, it's quite likely you've put the landlord in the position where the property no longer meets the minimum standards.

A matter of minutes to fix that .

and no use minimum standards if they make the place unlivable.

murphaph wrote: »
    In Germany (and other continental countries) they never did this vent thing. That constant draught would be considered incredibly wasteful. Everyone knows you should properly air your place at least in the mornings. All windows are thrown wide open to create a strong cross draught that quickly exchanges the damp air inside for drier air outside. The early mornings are best because the air is at its coldest and so has had to shed most of its moisture (that's where morning dew comes from) and can take on plenty when let in to the dwelling. Doing it in this way preserves the heat in the dwelling (the air itself doesn't hold the heat, the structure and its contents do).

My door is opened many times each day and evening to let the cats in and out and the kitchen window open a little every night. No need here for vents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

My door is opened many times each day and evening to let the cats in and out and the kitchen window open a little every night. No need here for vents.

It seems like your making excuses to avoid a basic requirement that is mandatory in the place.

There are different types of firealarms you can get- no-one is trivialising disabilities- we are simply stating the law is black and white- you do not get a derogation from the need to have fire alarms because you have a hearing impediment (as indeed do I). There are firealarms specifically for deaf or the hard-of-hearing- most of which feature strobe lighting.

Up to 20% of all fire alarm systems fitted in Ireland annually are specifically for the deaf or the hard-of-hearing- reflecting the fact that greater than 1-in-6 of all Irish people have severe to complete hearing impediments in this country. This is what you *need*- removing the batteries from the pre-existing system- is, quite frankly, incredibly short sighted- and illegal.

Talk to your local officer- he/she can suggest local installers of smoke alarm and/or suppression systems- suitable for the hard-of-hearing- pretty much any installer keeps a supply of these systems in stock.

I'm not entirely sure who your electrician was- however, he/she has left you without a fire warning/smoke detection system- the absence of which, in the context of a rental property- is illegal (if you own the house- its not illegal- but it will void any insurance policy you have on the property).

So moving to read such concern; blessings and thanks .

I am happy with things as they are thank you. Too old to chase officials.

And I am sure the relevant authorities ie the council, are very experienced and capable in these matters.It was their electrician So please do not concern your good self.

They rarely come out here to this small, remote and peaceful island. And have several jobs to do here; been waiting for over a year so not holding my breath... all is well.. and I know many others who have done as I have done. There has been afaik no compatability studies, no attempt to ensure these alarms and vents do not cause discomfort,

After all, we claim peaceful and private enjoyment... dratted alarm nearly gave me a heart attack
    OK; closing on this!Blessings and peace.

Fol20 wrote: »
    It seems like your making excuses to avoid a basic requirement that is mandatory in the place.

Goodnight and God bless!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

So moving to read such concern; blessings and thanks .

I am happy with things as they are thank you. Too old to chase officials.

And I am sure the relevant authorities ie the council, are very experienced and capable in these matters.It was their electrician So please do not concern your good self.

They rarely come out here to this small, remote and peaceful island. And have several jobs to do here; been waiting for over a year so not holding my breath... all is well.. and I know many others who have done as I have done. There has been afaik no compatability studies, no attempt to ensure these alarms and vents do not cause discomfort,

After all, we claim peaceful and private enjoyment... dratted alarm nearly gave me a heart attack
    OK; closing on this!Blessings and peace.

The government are known for handling things efficiently 🙄.

All that would happen is if anything happened and people got hurt, there would be a scandal and a investigation with politicians coming out saying something has to be done until the next bigger headline shows up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Agreed. Whatever happened to opening a window?
    Its not allowed that you would ever even have to think of doing such a thing.
    So they want holes in the wall instead.

Id a tenant years ago, Id lived in the house myself previously, never saw a bit of mould, when they left there was mould around corners of ceilings and walls and around the windows.
    I wondered why there was mould when Id never experienced it myself,

realised/discovered all the windows were locked, with keys removed (I know key locks probably not allowed now, but this was a while back), a number of vents blocked up, Id guessed they werent using the heating and probably they thought they were saving on costs, I came to this conclusion as I discovered they'd shut off balancing valves in the rads as well as the adjustable side (I dont know why they thought closing both sides would do anything more/better), one of these people was an engineer, I dont know why they didnt just not turn on the boiler, obviously clueless. They damaged some electrics too, yet tenants Id had removed batteries from smoke alarms rather than replace them when the constant bips were warning them of low batteries, I bought batteries and again they removed them as they claimed they had nuisance alarms, I think they were either burning food or smoking directly under them.
    You do not want tenants doing their own work for whatever reason, bodge repairs or dismantling safety measures. I read recently too about someone gluing open a Circuit breaker!? when a circuit was shut off for some work.

You cannot rely on people to do what are clearly simple and straightforward things, you cant come to the conclusion they have the same experience, knowledge or understanding of things, while this explains away a lot, some people are downright idiots, if they dont know about something, they shouldnt tamper with it.

So, regarding, ventilation, the only way forward, especially for tenanted properties can only be Mechanical ventilation and heat recovery, the problem with that is, its not as useful(Id say ineffective from a heating point) without both correct airtightness and insulation, but it may still help with ventialtion and prevent mould, assuming they dont shut the power off to any ventilation/heat exchanger (fan) to save electricity.

What I find appaling, I read in the last few months that a certain FG minister had sought to limit discussion of passive house standards as it was making their own suggestions look bad regarding cheaping out on insulation/airtightness in new builds in an alleged effort to get more new builds constructed. All the while the same government presiding over putting the boot in over alleged or actual lower standards in rentals (existing builds) when they themselves prevent improvements in rentals by a number of means.

Even the new childrens hospital they are already talking about kicking the can down the road to retrofitting improvements for energy efficiency rather than doing it now.

MVHR would be ideal for rented property, if the tenant doesnt decide to shut off the power to a heat exchanger, you just cant assume they wont do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you weren't in the backarse of nowhere, you would have probably been robbed by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I also had the experience of living in a property and never once experiencing mould to renting it out and the bathroom bing black with mould within months, despite having a velux window to provide super airing after a bath or shower.

I decided to add a humidity controlled extractor fan despite the window to save myself another redecorating job but I'm sure some day I'll face the clothes horse of wet clothes in the bedroom with the shut windows.

People can be really stupid.

In my own house I have passive house levels of airtightness and demand controlled ventilation cos I knew airing would be even more important in such a property. I'm quite certain many tenants would switch the unit off to "save money" if it were a rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

murphaph wrote: »
    I also had the experience of living in a property and never once experiencing mould to renting it out and the bathroom bing black with mould within months, despite having a velux window to provide super airing after a bath or shower.

I decided to add a humidity controlled extractor fan despite the window to save myself another redecorating job but I'm sure some day I'll face the clothes horse of wet clothes in the bedroom with the shut windows.

People can be really stupid.

In my own house I have passive house levels of airtightness and demand controlled ventilation cos I knew airing would be even more important in such a property. I'm quite certain many tenants would switch the unit off to "save money" if it were a rental.

I suspect a decent handover to the tenants is vital with these set ups.

Decent instructions in writing as well so if they have a question afterwards they can find out the answer without having to ring the landlord.

Apart from anything else many tenants will never have even heard of MVHR in their lIves.

No it wont completely stop stupidity but you'd want to be a special breed of clown to turn off MVHR after a proper induction and explanation of how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Old diesel wrote: »
    I suspect a decent handover to the tenants is vital with these set ups.

Decent instructions in writing as well so if they have a question afterwards they can find out the answer without having to ring the landlord.

Apart from anything else many tenants will never have even heard of MVHR in their lIves.

No it wont completely stop stupidity but you'd want to be a special breed of clown to turn off MVHR after a proper induction and explanation of how it works.

Trust me there are some "special breed of clown's" out there. Switching off systems designed for their comfort/safety, blocking vents and its us landlords are blamed.

Advertisement