Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its bash the landlord time again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

kalych wrote: »
    I recongnise this may be a contentious issue, but I don't agree that private landlords exiting the market as a sign of increased regulation. a CGT exemption being brought forward and competition with institutional investors at the top of the market could equally be the cause of the increased number exiting the market.

I don't agree that we need to subsidise private landlords by reducing regulation just because they find it hard to compete at the top end of the market.

Do you really believe making it possible for a LL to remove a bad tenant easier would somehow subsidise LL's.
    A lot of property being sold is not subject to CGT, you have to make a gain to pay that tax.
    And in this market, what LL fears competition from REIT's or any other LL?

A little while ago you wanted empirical evidence that LL's are leaving the rental market, that you didn't believe the stories. Now it's they're leaving because of competition from REITs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The problem is all over Europe it coincides with a lack of investment in social housing by governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭kalych

beauf wrote: »
    You're missing the main issue.

The issue for LL is high risk of losses. Overholding and damage. It's the lack of regulation for protecting LL that's the issue.

That has got worse not better. Is less risk for a new or larger LL as they can charge higher rents to migate the risk.

If the response to that is they should just get out of the business then yes that's exactly what they are doing. But that makes the crisis worse.

The new regulations are just pouring fuel on the fire.

I'm not missing anything, I just don't agree with your view. :)
    There are alternatives to resolving the rental crisis that does not involve reducing renters' rights, which is always an easy way out, but not productive for our economy.

Do you really believe making it possible for a LL to remove a bad tenant easier would somehow subsidise LL's.
    A lot of property being sold is not subject to CGT, you have to make a gain to pay that tax.
    And in this market, what LL fears competition from REIT's or any other LL?

A little while ago you wanted empirical evidence that LL's are leaving the rental market, that you didn't believe the stories. Now it's they're leaving because of competition from REITs?

I wasn't looking for evidence of LL leaving the market. You must have misread my post.

The problem is all over Europe it coincides with a lack of investment in social housing by governments.

I like this style of post, one with out quotes from other posters that have no real correlation to your posts.

I also happen to agree with it.

• Advertisement

I wasn't looking for evidence of LL leaving the market. You must have misread my post.

Then what were you looking for?

I'm not missing anything, I just don't agree with your view. :)
    There are alternatives to resolving the rental crisis that does not involve reducing renters' rights, which is always an easy way out, but not productive for our economy.

I didn't mention reducing tenant rights.

Because that's not the issue.

Ignoring the root cause and just looking at the symptoms is why we are in the middle of the crisis. You seem determined to keep doing that and this making it worse.

Good luck with that. Seems to be working exactly as predicted.

Then what were you looking for?

Evidence that LL leaving the market is caused by the factors outlined in the post I quoted.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Rents in Luxembourg are sky high !!

The same grumbling about feckless landlords robbing deposits for spurious reasons and rip off rent prices happen in Lux just as much as Dublin.

A poster here earlier was happy with their rent in Belgium and I’m sure they are. I don’t think Luxembourg can be held up as an example of a tenants paradise

Compared to Dublin, in my experience, they are not. Salaries in Lux tend to be higher so the relationship between salary and rent is less horrific. Reform is coming in terms of agency fees and the industry is less broken in terms of trust. Services in Lux are way, way better than in Dublin.

I didn't say Lux was a paradise. But I did say it was a far better experience than Dublin is. And I stand over that.

I think the govt plan was always to create value for big investors to pump money into the govt.

So housing is now an investment vehicle rather than a social need, requirement.

The housing crisis doesn't effect the govt as they keep getting elected regardless So they don't care about that.

Which explains why they have done less each year to increase supply or fix the crisis.

• Advertisement

Small Landlords are are less effective in creating income for the govt than larger ones. So they don't care about them either.

I think the govt plan was always to create value for big investors to pump money into the govt.

So housing is now an investment vehicle rather than a social need, requirement.

The housing crisis doesn't effect the govt as they keep getting elected regardless So they don't care about that.

Which explains why they have done less each year to increase supply or fix the crisis.

On this we definitely agree. One point however, anyone can invest into REIT or Hibernia or even Green REIT. Other than that you're absolutely correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Evidence that LL leaving the market is caused by the factors outlined in the post I quoted.:)

Well you don't seem to believe the reasons given by landlords associations.

Well you don't seem to believe the reasons given by landlords associations.

It's not that I don't believe them. just above the poster perfectly outlined the government policy: replace private LL with institutional ones.

I believe that the landlords association realises this and is trying to use any means possible to fight back, including trying to survive at the expense of delaying regulations aimed at strengthening renters rights. Notice that REITs while the biggest property investors in this county do not protest renters' rights being strengthened.

Just an observation, guys :P I'm not looking to attack anyone. Just believe private LL argument is disingenuous. The issue in reality is competition.

Sorry can't provide you with this evidence, only that LL's are leaving after a period in time when more and more regulation has been introduced that lessens their property rights. And at a time of record rents

If you can't make the connection then keep on believing it's because of competition from REITs etc

Sorry can't provide you with this evidence, only that LL's are leaving after a period in time when more and more regulation has been introduced that lessens their property rights. And at a time of record rents

If you can't make the connection then keep on believing it's because of competition from REITs etc

Thank you for your honesty :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Small Landlords are are less effective in creating income for the govt than larger ones. So they don't care about them either.

Is that true? The REITs pay very little tax in Ireland, they’re set up in a similar way to charities whereas the 1 or 2 property landlord is paying through the nose (like a lot of non-landlords TBF).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I recongnise this may be a contentious issue, but I don't agree that private landlords exiting the market as a sign of increased regulation. a CGT exemption being brought forward and competition with institutional investors at the top of the market could equally be the cause of the increased number exiting the market.

I don't agree that we need to subsidise private landlords by reducing regulation just because they find it hard to compete at the top end of the market.

No one wants a subsidy. We just want legal protection when a tenant refuses to pay rent or does thousands of euros worth of damage. And a register of those who have a track record of not paying rent.

It would be nice if the REITS paid some tax in line with the 58% we pay. It would just be fair.

It's not that I don't believe them. just above the poster perfectly outlined the government policy: replace private LL with institutional ones.

I believe that the landlords association realises this and is trying to use any means possible to fight back, including trying to survive at the expense of delaying regulations aimed at strengthening renters rights. Notice that REITs while the biggest property investors in this county do not protest renters' rights being strengthened.

Just an observation, guys :P I'm not looking to attack anyone. Just believe private LL argument is disingenuous. The issue in reality is competition.

No LL association in Ireland has lobbying power strong enough to "fight back".

Two years ago the IPOA tried to advise their members on how to introduce charges different to rent. They were investigated by the CCPC for breaking anti competetion laws and had to retract, enter into legal agreements to stop their arses being dragged into court.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

kalych wrote:
    Just an observation, guys I'm not looking to attack anyone. Just believe private LL argument is disingenuous. The issue in reality is competition.

I think that argument is retarded. The Reits are earning far more of their rent than smaller scale landlords as they're not paying anywhere close to the same tax rates. A lot of their properties seem to me be at a higher end of the market too, and of course if they've got a few problem tenants, it's not a huge concern as most will be fine and paying rent. If a smaller landlord has 1/2 tenants not paying, that could be their whole income gone.

Any little bit of thinking about it would see competition argument as retarded tbh.

• Advertisement

No one wants a subsidy. We just want legal protection when a tenant refuses to pay rent or does thousands of euros worth of damage. And a register of those who have a track record of not paying rent.

It would be nice if the REITS paid some tax in line with the 58% we pay. It would just be fair.

Agreed, however that's not the argument most private LL go to when new renters' rights are announced. They go straight to renterbashing. I fully agree that REITs need to be made pay more taxes. That's a completely separate issue though.

Private LL need to stop piling everything together: renters, PRTB, taxes, REITs, etc. The reason people don't support their argument is that they are prepared to blame anyone and everyone instead of correctly pointing out to the rest of the country to pressure politicians to make REITs pay more taxes.

Thank you for your honesty :)

There is no evidence to present, it's never been collated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

I really believe that funding should be stopped immediately to ALL homeless charities. Vouched costs only should be considered.

Alternatively, maybe the government should fund Landlords' Representative organisations as well as the many charity/lobby groups representing tenants and the homeless!

We could call it "parity of esteem"! :p

No LL association in Ireland has lobbying power strong enough to "fight back".

Two years ago the IPOA tried to advise their members on how to introduce charges different to rent. They were investigated by the CCPC for breaking anti competetion laws and had to retract, enter into legal agreements to stop their arses being dragged into court.

So the LL solution as evidenced on this thread is to bash the renters? :confused: :eek: you do see how the private LL are alienating the rest of the country? We all want the properly functioning rental market. Let's just make sure our messages are clear. Renters' rights aren't your problem. :)

titan18 wrote: »
    I think that argument is retarded. The Reits are earning far more of their rent than smaller scale landlords as they're not paying anywhere close to the same tax rates. A lot of their properties seem to me be at a higher end of the market too, and of course if they've got a few problem tenants, it's not a huge concern as most will be fine and paying rent. If a smaller landlord has 1/2 tenants not paying, that could be their whole income gone.

Any little bit of thinking about it would see competition argument as retarded tbh.

As I continue to say, your solution is to bash renters' rights in response? Good luck with that :):rolleyes:

So the LL solution as evidenced on this thread is to bash the renters? :confused: :eek: you do see how the private LL are alienating the rest of the country? We all want the properly functioning rental market. Let's just make sure our messages are clear. Renters' rights aren't your problem. :)

Where's the renter bashing on this thread.

I've read posts about journalist bashing over poor standards, government bashing over unequal and mostly unworkable (for LL's) legislation.

I see how populist base journalism and certain politicians alienating and demonising LL's, not LL's alienating the rest of the country.

Where's the renter bashing on this thread.

I've read posts about journalist bashing over poor standards, government bashing over unequal and mostly unworkable (for LL's) legislation.

I see how populist base journalism and certain politicians alienating and demonising LL's, not LL's alienating the rest of the country.

Posts 17, 19, 32, 44 are some examples. Luckily in the last 2 pages out of 6 we actually had some semblance of a discussion, so there seems to be less of it.

I don’t agree that the government is responsible for the housing crisis. Personal responsibility has a huge part to play. ie, one works, saves and buys a home. By all means have the Government come to the aid of those who fall on hard times. If one is unfortunate enough to find themselves homeless it shouldn’t matter a jot if a home is provided for them in Ballymun, Ballyhaunis or Ballygobackward. One refusal and they’re on their own.
    I really believe that funding should be stopped immediately to ALL homeless charities. Vouched costs only should be considered.
    ALL outstanding rents to be collected immediately.
    That's not the point. Every able bodied person should contribute to society.
    Trying to get the council to even cut the grass in my area is nigh on impossible. So supplying extra resources at no addition cost would ease the demand on existing employees. But sure hey let's just give the unemployed a free ride.
    Sounds like you did the right thing and took personal responsibility and moved country to work and pay rent.

Unlike those that refuse to work and demand a free house in an area of their choice, turn down free houses in other parts of the country and still claim to be homeless.

It's not helped by the social left telling everyone that housing is a right and they will stop banks evicting people who don't pay their tax or bills.
    Posts 17, 19, 32, 44 are some examples. Luckily in the last 2 pages out of 6 we actually had some semblance of a discussion, so there seems to be less of it.

The posts in question.

What are you talking about?

• Advertisement

Alternatively, maybe the government should fund Landlords' Representative organisations as well as the many charity/lobby groups representing tenants and the homeless!

We could call it "parity of esteem"! :p

I just think that the money would be better spent actually building homes rather than supporting a multitude of homeless charities. After all the most of the money goes on wages, followed by costs of fundraising with very little being spent on those they claim to care for.

Advertisement