Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its bash the landlord time again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Is there any way of finding out how much mullah the revenue rakes in annually from private landlords?
    Every time rents go up by a certain percentage, the government benefits by the same percentage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What are you talking about?

Can you ask a specific question.

Big investors are building and buying large amounts of property then renting it out at high end. Which is attractive for workers coming to Ireland.

Small landlord renting one house and not raising the rent for years isn't what they want.

I just think that the money would be better spent actually building homes rather than supporting a multitude of homeless charities. After all the most of the money goes on wages, followed by costs of fundraising with very little being spent on those they claim to care for.

I agree with this. It’s a ludicrous concept.

I also think that the idea of a social house for life should be overhauled. What benefit to society as a whole is there in a single person living in a social house for their eternity whilst families struggle to find anywhere?

Where's the tenant/ renter bashing. These posts could be classed as dole bashing not tenant bashing.

I dunno. I just posted them for reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The posts in question.

Seems to me...

That's nothing to do with renter rights.

But about social welfare.

.. Maybe I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

I dunno. I just posted them for reference.

Sorry quoted you instead

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Landlords love a good tenant. They will routinely keep rents well below asking price rather 5han risk the unknown. That should tell you something about the rental market.

kalych wrote: »
    Posts 17, 19, 32, 44 are some examples. Luckily in the last 2 pages out of 6 we actually had some semblance of a discussion, so there seems to be less of it.

Where's the tenant/ renter bashing. These posts could be classed as dole bashing not tenant bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭kalych

And there's the issue. REITs take the best tenants at the top of the market. Private LLs are left with the lower end, that have restrictive controls put in place by the government (RAS, HAP). Hence the dole bashing. Dole people are mostly renters :)

And there's the issue. REITs take the best tenants at the top of the market. Private LLs are left with the lower end, that have restrictive controls put in place by the government (RAS, HAP). Hence the dole bashing. Dole people are mostly renters :)

Sticking a smiley face at the end of your posts does not give them any credence.

"Dole people" are mostly renters. Reits get the best tenants. Smiley face, it must be true.

Wheres your evidence to back up such crass statements? (Rhetorical, I don't really need it and it doesn't exist anyway mainly because its not true.)

First you wanted evidence of LL's leaving, then it changed to evidence of the reasons they're leaving (impossible to get), then it was accusations of tenant bashing. Now tenant bashing is changed to dole bashing.

How about some consistency:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

• Advertisement

Sticking a smiley face at the end of your posts does not give them any credence.

"Dole people" are mostly renters. Reits get the best tenants. Smiley face, it must be true.

Wheres your evidence to back up such crass statements? (Rhetorical, I don't really need it and it doesn't exist anyway mainly because its not true.)

First you wanted evidence of LL's leaving, then it changed to evidence of the reasons they're leaving (impossible to get), then it was accusations of tenant bashing. Now tenant bashing is changed to dole bashing.

Please show me the exact words of mine where I was looking for evidence of landlords leaving?;)

Also I din't provide any evidence because nobody asked me for any yet. I'm happy to :rolleyes:

Please see the Department of Finance presentation on this issue:
    https://taxpolicy.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/E3_DeirdreDonaghy.pdf

Specifically their point at the top of page 2:
    "Finally, the proliferation of small landlords leads to a lack of
    consistent standards in the residential property market. This
    creates difficulties for tenants seeking accommodation but also
    for landlords, who may face difficulties in finding good long-term
    tenants in a rental sector that has not traditionally been geared
    toward this market."

Please show me the exact words of mine where I was looking for evidence of landlords leaving?;)

That's your answer???

How about some consistency:):):):):):):):):):):):)

And finally,my friend :D I put smiles into my posts as there is too much aggression in posts that are political in nature. I'm just trying to show people that none of my points are personal. I'm merely debating points in question. Admittedly maybe in your case I found one individual who is annoyed by smiley faces. :eek:

That's your answer???

I merely split up your point to make sure we argue each one of them separately to the benefit of proper discussion. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

Not so long ago the only expenses in letting a house were the income tax(around 40%), the insurance, and any maintenance that might arise. Then, gradually, came along USC, Local Property Tax, PRSI on rental income and PRTB registration. It all adds up. For people who had speculated at inflated prices, and bought to let on a tight budget, doing the sums became very challenging. When they saw the opportunity to secure higher rents they did so. Often to the detriment of the tenant, unfortunately. To others letting is a business therefore you get as much as you can irrespective of your outlay. There are also property owners who take a laid-back approach. They just want someone who will pay them a modest rent and look after the house. The state could handle this situation in a manner acceptable to all. Greed should be nipped in the bud but people's right to property respected and protected.Instead of which people on either side of the divide are being whipped into a frenzy.

Also I din't provide any evidence because nobody asked me for any yet. I'm happy to :rolleyes:

Please see the Department of Finance presentation on this issue:
    https://taxpolicy.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/E3_DeirdreDonaghy.pdf

Specifically their point at the top of page 2:
    "Finally, the proliferation of small landlords leads to a lack of
    consistent standards in the residential property market. This
    creates difficulties for tenants seeking accommodation but also
    for landlords, who may face difficulties in finding good long-term
    tenants in a rental sector that has not traditionally been geared
    toward this market."

And that's your evidence to prove "dole people" are mostly renters and Reits get the best tenants??

A quote from a five year old tax office report on the 2013 finance bill that goes no where near to proving your assertions.

And finally,my friend :D I put smiles into my posts as there is too much aggression in posts that are political in nature. I'm just trying to show people that none of my points are personal. I'm merely debating points in question. Admittedly maybe in your case I found one individual who is annoyed by smiley faces. :eek:

The emoji's are not the source of irritation. That would be the nonsense and the time I have wasted dealing with the nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,413 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If you are not happy about it then sell your properties. Simple solution.

And that's your evidence to prove "dole people" are mostly renters and Reits get the best tenants??

A quote from a five year old tax office report on the 2013 finance bill that goes no where near to proving your assertions.

No, It seems that you may be purposefully misinterpreting my point now, but it's ok; denial is one of the the steps towards acceptance ;)

It's my answer to you point on "Reits get the best tenants." and that "REITs are real competition for private LL by government design".

I'm sure you could try to bash the report as much as you want to, but it shows clear intent to put the rental market where it is right now as a GOVERNMENT POLICY by design. But it's just symptomatic that private LL and their defenders find it difficult to argue this point and blame over holding and other costs as the issue, using it as an opportunity to bash renters by pointing to RAS and HAP recipients as being anti-social. It is clear REITs are able to achieve market returns of 6.5% and are happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

eagle eye wrote: »
    A real eagle solution. You are getting your wishes, problem for this kind of eagles will be the supply for renters, since as current screwed up rental legislation stands most rental property will be bought by owner occupiers. The commie comrades are even trying to put as many obstacles as possible to the sale process in order not to sell to an owner occupier!

No, It seems that you may be purposefully misinterpreting my point now, but it's ok; denial is one of the the steps towards acceptance ;)

It's my answer to you point on "Reits get the best tenants." and that "REITs are real competition for private LL by government design".

I'm sure you could try to bash the report as much as you want to, but it shows clear intent to put the rental market where it is right now as a GOVERNMENT POLICY by design. But it's just symptomatic that private LL and their defenders find it difficult to argue this point and blame over holding and other costs as the issue, when it is clear REITs are able to achieve market returns of 6.5% and are happy with it.

I came on this thread to comment on poor piece of journalism, a puff piece that panders to the populist reader, the kind that also reads the papers multitude of ridiculous click bait articles

I am not bashing a report, I am not purposefully misinterpreting any point, I am not denying.

All that I am doing is just wasting my time waiting for you to answer anything that I put to you.

Please go ahead and have the last word, I don't mind. It will be nothing but obfuscation anyway.

eagle eye wrote: »

I’m nervous about what may be ahead if I keep renting out my house. But I’m not selling, just keeping it for when my daughters visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I'm not missing anything, I just don't agree with your view. :)
    There are alternatives to resolving the rental crisis that does not involve reducing renters' rights, which is always an easy way out, but not productive for our economy.

He isnt saying reducing their rights. He is saying stop changing their rights every single year and create some stability.

What about the rights of ll. How about a nice and simple right where if you dont pay your rent. Your out within 3 months. In effect they are stealing and im sure if you walked into tesco and took somwthing it wouldnr be accepted so how about we actually do the samw for tenancies. This will only impact people that dont pay ao for most hard working people, they wont even notice this law. In the end the hard working people pay for it as with increase risk of the cohorts that dont pay, others will have to make up the difference be in the form of more ll leaving the market or just paying more in rent for increased risk

I'm sure you could try to bash the report as much as you want to, but it shows clear intent to put the rental market where it is right now as a GOVERNMENT POLICY by design. But it's just symptomatic that private LL and their defenders find it difficult to argue this point and blame over holding and other costs as the issue, using it as an opportunity to bash renters by pointing to RAS and HAP recipients as being anti-social. It is clear REITs are able to achieve market returns of 6.5% and are happy with it.

Do you really think REITs are in it for Social tenancies. They are targetting market rate tenancies that usually occur on the higher end of the market. Where is it clear they are happy to achieve market returns. I havent seen that statement mentioned once in any articles i have read.

Fol20 wrote: »
    He isnt saying reducing their rights. He is saying stop changing their rights every single year and create some stability.

What about the rights of ll. How about a nice and simple right where if you dont pay your rent. Your out within 3 months. In effect they are stealing and im sure if you walked into tesco and took somwthing it wouldnr be accepted so how about we actually do the samw for tenancies. This will only impact people that dont pay ao for most hard working people, they wont even notice this law. In the end the hard working people pay for it as with increase risk of the cohorts that dont pay, others will have to make up the difference be in the form of more ll leaving the market or just paying more in rent for increased risk

I disagree with these points. Government changes policy all the time. We are moving away from coal towards sustainable energy.

To borrow your example that would mean stealing from coal mine owners because they are used to a stable income from previous years. Apart from Trump I do not see any people of merit arguing against a change in the policy to combat climate change. Why should a change in the government policy on housing be any different? Houses are a type of habitat? :)

edited: All LL are tying to do is minimise their risks. There are alternatives that are better for society. also to point out that at any point any private LL can sell up and invest into REITs, it's not like they are closed funds. There is also the added benefit of diversification, where you won't get stuck with 1 overholding tenant, as you are invested into all of REITs properties simultaneously. Risk is diversified.

Do you really think REITs are in it for Social tenancies. They are targetting market rate tenancies that usually occur on the higher end of the market. Where is it clear they are happy to achieve market returns. I havent seen that statement mentioned once in any articles i have read.

Completely true, this point is very good and I fully agree. Which is why we should lobby the government to make sure they also try to move HAP and RAS residents into REIT properties. It is an expense for all of us though, since the councils spend our money when either buying private houses for social tenants or paying partial rents for them. edited: Just to clarify, this means paying higher taxes for all.

Completely true, this point is very good and I fully agree. Which is why we should lobby the government to make sure they also try to move HAP and RAS residents into REIT properties. It is an expense for all of us though, since the councils spend our money when either buying private houses for social tenants or paying partial rents for them. edited: Just to clarify, this means paying higher taxes for all.

REIT are normally large pension funds etc that go where the money is and leave if they can get a better rate elsewhere. You want to force social prioritys on a private entity that is highly mobile? If you do, economically, it will never happen and REITs will also leave.

I disagree with your last sentence as well, its not higher taxes for all but higher taxes for the higher earners or people who work more. Sure why dont they increase corporation tax and see how well that goes for them. People need an incentive to work and if that isnt there. Ireland becomes less attractive an investment coupled with a lack of entrepreneurial spirit that xreates jobs as well

REIT are normally large pension funds etc that go where the money is and leave if they can get a better rate elsewhere. You want to force social prioritys on a private entity that is highly mobile? If you do, economically, it will never happen and REITs will also leave.

I disagree with your last sentence as well, its not higher taxes for all but higher taxes for the higher earners or people who work more. Sure why dont they increase corporation tax and see how well that goes for them. People need an incentive to work and if that isnt there. Ireland becomes less attractive an investment coupled with a lack of entrepreneurial spirit that xreates jobs as well

I accept your criticism on tax payers at the higher end. It is justified and I agree.

I don't accept you criticism on your last point. Pensions funds are unlikely to leave, as there aren't safe returns higher than 6% available anywhere. All other higher yielding returns also carry more risk, case in point the stock sell off that US is seeing right now. Pension funds can't accept that kind of risk.

I'm not sure I understand your point on the "People need an incentive to work and if that isnt there." happy to discuss, but i will need clarifications on what meaning you put into it.

• Advertisement

I disagree with these points. Government changes policy all the time. We are moving away from coal towards sustainable energy.

To borrow your example that would mean stealing from coal mine owners because they are used to a stable income from previous years. Apart from Trump I do not see any people of merit arguing against a change in the policy to combat climate change. Why should a change in the government policy on housing be any different? Houses are a type of habitat? :)

edited: All LL are tying to do is minimise their risks. There are alternatives that are better for society. also to point out that at any point any private LL can sell up and invest into REITs, it's not like they are closed funds. There is also the added benefit of diversification, where you won't get stuck with 1 overholding tenant, as you are invested into all of REITs properties simultaneously. Risk is diversified.

Your comparing apples with oranges. My analagy for describing tenants overholding is actual theft as they receive a service and do not pay for it. In your example. Private bodies are struggling to sell their good due to environmental impacts. So they are not stealing the service or product. If the governement or a person was taking the coal and using it but not paying for it. This would be the equivalent of my analogy.

They are changing the policy for coal wtc butnits gradual and has a long term global view in mind with some real positive impacts on the environment. The changes the government are making on rental legislation is hap hazard, reactive at best and has been performed by several other countries with little to no good results and actually prooves a hinderence in the market. The EU even said it causes problems ywt they still went ahead with it.

Your right people need to adapt to an ever changing market place, however in this case REITs are not making up enough of a difference in what is required to having a functioning market and they are also only target specific types of rentals that dont cater to the lowest common denominator.

In terms of adaption and ever changing situations. You could also say that the lower paid should move out of dublin if they cant afford it but they expecr from a social aspect that they should be able to remain. Its a little hypocritical to expect all the benefits and none of the positives with everything you discuss

Advertisement