Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody had any experience with VITUS?

Options
  • 27-12-2018 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi All,

My Giant Defy was robbed earlier this year and I am now looking at picking up something early January on the bike to work scheme.

Looking at something with disc brakes and hopefully carbon frame to keep it as light as possible. My intended use is sportives such as wicklow 200 and maybe having a go at the Ironman 70.3 this year. However I don't have an unlimited budget and would like to keep cost as close to 1500 as possible

Looking around it seems options are something like a cube attain gtc for around 2,000

Or a Giant Defy Advanced 3 for 1800

Looking at chainreactioncycles there seems to be good value in Vitus bikes. Have no experience or have heard anything about these bikes but you seem to get a lot more for your money.

Something like this:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-venon-cr-disc-road-bike-105-2018/rp-prod159911

or this

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-zx1-aero-disc-road-bike-105-2018/rp-prod159916

Would appreciate if anybody had experience of the above and could share

THanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Once famed for their bonded aluminium frames that were ridden with great success by Sean Kelly in the 80s.

Failed to keep up in the 90s and basically became defunct. As far as I know the name was bought by chain reaction... and the current models are generic open mould carbon frames from china with Vitus stickers. Similar to Planet X. They used the link with Sean Kelly and their sponsorship and use of the bikes on the Sean Kelly team (An Post) to put the brand back out there.

Thats the background.

The review ? I don't have one but there are a few in my club.. everyone is happy... quality is good, performance is good, value for money is good and of course it is backed by a major retailer. Nothing wrong with them. If they float your boat, go for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I had a cheap Vitus beater bike and it was fine.

Don't expect it to be as good as the big brands. Like Planet X, you're getting better components on a worse frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Exiled1

On my second Vitus road bike. They are very good, outstanding spec for the price and usually come with decent wheels unlike lots of their competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

I bought a Vitus Dee 290 City Bike a couple of years ago I'm very happy with it. It's a great solid bike. The only one complaint I'd have is that the flywheel, if that's what it's called, has a really annoying clicking sound almost all the time. I wonder if anyone knows what the cure for that would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

pawdee wrote: »
    I bought a Vitus Dee 290 City Bike a couple of years ago I'm very happy with it. It's a great solid bike. The only one complaint I'd have is that the flywheel, if that's what it's called, has a really annoying clicking sound almost all the time. I wonder if anyone knows what the cure for that would be?
    Chain wheel, or chain ring or chainset or crankset.

If it clicks when you pedal check the pedals and the seatpost.

If it clicks all the time check nothing is rubbing e.g. cable ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Lumen wrote:
    Chain wheel, or chain ring or chainset or crankset.

If it clicks when you pedal check the pedals and the seatpost.

If it clicks all the time check nothing is rubbing e.g. cable ends.

... or maybe freehub/wheel? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I had a Vitus Vee. Great Beater bike. Probably would have said the opposite of above in that it was average components on a decent frame.

If you get one at the right price, they have a huge retailer with a better rep than PX standing over them, not a risky buy at all IMO.

Only complaint I have seen is having to reassemble as they are thrown together according to some reviews but that's hardly a major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Some of them can be great value if you buy at the right time. There was a Zenium SL with full hydraulic 105 and DT Swiss wheels for only 799£ at some point during the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Bit off topic but maybe have a look at some of the newer Tribans available from Decathlon. Disc brakes and very good value also available on bike to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

Have a Vitesse eco team edition, got it on sale for 2k stg, dura ace gropset and Easton wheels. Unbelievable spec for that price.

Can’t fault it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭efwren

Shoco83 wrote: »
    Have a Vitesse eco team edition, got it on sale for 2k stg, dura ace gropset and Easton wheels. Unbelievable spec for that price.

Can’t fault it all

Thanks everybody for all the advice ! Have to wait until our finance team are back in the office on Wednesday before I pull the trigger

Advertisement