Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airplane flying over Ennis on Google Maps

Options
  • 27-12-2018 6:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44

I notice now that Google Maps shows an airplane flying eastwards over Ennis, Co. Clare. It can be seen to the east of the town, near the R352, Tulla Road. The vapour trail stretches back a few miles over the north of Ennis. It may be a new image as I don't remember seeing this before. It's probably a few months since I have looked at this area on Google Maps.
    But I don't remember ever seeing flying aircraft in any other places either on Google Maps. So I am wondering, since this particular one shows up so clearly, why then does it seem to be very rare and unusual for flying planes to be seen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I notice now that Google Maps shows an airplane flying eastwards over Ennis, Co. Clare. It can be seen to the east of the town, near the R352, Tulla Road. The vapour trail stretches back a few miles over the north of Ennis. It may be a new image as I don't remember seeing this before. It's probably a few months since I have looked at this area on Google Maps.
    But I don't remember ever seeing flying aircraft in any other places either on Google Maps. So I am wondering, since this particular one shows up so clearly, why then does it seem to be very rare and unusual for flying planes to be seen?

Seems a rare event. This does seem pretty remarkable given how clear both the plane and the contrails air.

While capturing a plane on Google Earth imagery is very uncommon, it is not altogether rare. There are, on average, over 9,000 planes in the sky at any given time, after all. Just consider Google Maps plane hunting a digital “Where’s Waldo?” for aviation nerds.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

For anyone interested here's the spot
    https://goo.gl/maps/DT8RBBZWxp32

• Registered Users Posts: 25,446 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I recall seeing one a few years ago on Google Maps but can't remember the location. The number of planes flying over the country is surprisingly small at any given time. Most flights into and out of Dublin are between here and the UK or mainland Europe and they spend relatively little time (if any) over the island of Ireland. Flights between Western Europe and North America tend to arrive and depart in the morning (our time) so by the afternoon in Ireland, there's little enough international traffic passing over the island. Flights into and out of Cork, Knock or Shannon would account for a very small portion of Irish flight traffic.

https://www.flightradar24.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

coylemj wrote: »
    I recall seeing one a few years ago on Google Maps but can't remember the location. The number of planes flying over the country is surprisingly small at any given time. Most flights into and out of Dublin are between here and the UK or mainland Europe and they spend relatively little time (if any) over the island of Ireland. Flights between Western Europe and North America tend to arrive and depart in the morning (our time) so by the afternoon in Ireland, there's little enough international traffic passing over the island. Flights into and out of Cork, Knock or Shannon would account for a very small portion of Irish flight traffic.

https://www.flightradar24.com/

It surprising that even looking at Heathrow, or JFK, there doesn't seem to be any airplanes present and certainly you would expect at least some to be in a holding pattern at least.

I wonder if they scrub the planes/contrails from images because they don't serve any purpose within Google Maps even if they are interesting to look at.

Advertisement