Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Center Parcs Experience

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

salmocab wrote: »
    Yeah the ones in England that are open years are struggling along alright. Over 90% occupancy they must be doing something right.

English people are very different to Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just looked at the price list/menus etc.. for this place. You have got to be kidding me it's Longford for christ sake??

But it's not Longford that's the thing.

It's Center Parcs, people are going because it's Center Parcs, not because it's Longford.

If you want Longford just book an Airbnb in Longford and off you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

RasTa wrote: »
    English people are very different to Irish.

They are in their holes, pretty much every place that Irish people holiday is full of English. Including the people who travel from Ireland to center parks in England.

salmocab wrote: »
    They are in their holes, pretty much every place that Irish people holiday is full of English. Including the people who travel from Ireland to center parks in England.

More Germans on those Spanish holidays these days. I've being living in the UK for the past 2 years, they are a different species.

They only have 5 in the UK with a pop of 66million. The one in Ireland will be gone in 3 years as I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

More Germans on those Spanish holidays these days. I've being living in the UK for the past 2 years, they are a different species.

They only have 5 in the UK with a pop of 66million. The one in Ireland will be gone in 3 years as I said.

We better go so,it won't be possible in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Darc19 wrote: »
    €29.95 starter, any main, + drink (wine or beer)

Maybe I dine out in the wrong places, but prices are the same as any half decent Indian restaurant I been in and seems good value to me and a bit cheaper than the UK menu from the same place.

Now that I've seen the menu, I very much look forward to having a meal there in Oct.

Yet the same offer in the UK is over a euro cheaper, as usual the Irish will happily be charged more than the UK.

I'd also hazard a guess that the "half decent Indian" restaurants are a lot better quality than centre parks prepackaged frozen stuff

They also have other parks we won’t. They have places like bluestone in Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

LouD2016 wrote: »

We are highly considering Centreparcs for Sept. We normally go to Electric Picnic but are giving it a miss this year. It would actually cost us more to go to that.
    This rite of passage is worthy of a David Mc Williams article - transitioning from EP to CP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

kenmc wrote: »
    Yet the same offer in the UK is over a euro cheaper, as usual the Irish will happily be charged more than the UK.

I'd also hazard a guess that the "half decent Indian" restaurants are a lot better quality than centre parks prepackaged frozen stuff

A whole euro. (actually 73c at today's exchange rate €1.1236/£1 and that's not including any exchange fee)

Reviews on Google average 4.2, that's decent. Most issues seem to be about service / wait times and vast majority suggest that the food is above average.
    And unless they are telling lies on their website, the food is "freshly made every time."

Obviously you can hone in a a couple of bad reviews out of the several hundred good ones. Isn't that what negative people do anyway?

This is not for everyone. If a week in a Spanish resort is your thing, then great. Enjoy it. In a way it's sort of great that certain people won't entertain going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

This is not for everyone. If a week in a Spanish resort is your thing, then great. Enjoy it. In a way it's sort of great that certain people won't entertain going there.

A week in any kind of resort isn't for me. We make a point of booking holidays that adults will enjoy too. Last year we spent a week exploring Sao Miguel (Azores) with a 9 year old and 5 year old. We explored exactly the same locations and more as we did 10 years ago when we had no kids. We ate in regular restaurants and local food. Kids enjoyed themselves without kid's clubs or and managed to survive on diet that didn't include chicken nuggets and pancakes.

I think people underestimate their kids if they think organised kids activities are necessary for a decent holiday.

Anyway this year I think we will travel around Ireland a bit and visit some places I want to see. And they will enjoy doing that too.

• Advertisement

Surprised Trabolgan is still going, although Cork has a lot more to offer then Longford

A whole euro. (actually 73c at today's exchange rate €1.1236/£1 and that's not including any exchange fee)

Reviews on Google average 4.2, that's decent. Most issues seem to be about service / wait times and vast majority suggest that the food is above average.
    And unless they are telling lies on their website, the food is "freshly made every time."

Obviously you can hone in a a couple of bad reviews out of the several hundred good ones. Isn't that what negative people do anyway?

1.11 to the pound on revolut , so a euro. £25.99 is E28.90, vs 29.99 on the menu. And that's just one item, doubt it's the only one, and doubt there'll be anything cheaper either.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Ahahaha, yes after spending €200m+ they're not going to have done their homework on the market!

Also weird gibe at the food - have you been? Keep in mind most people cook at home too - they hardly go for the food options!

Just going by their food photos. €200m? Obviously haven't done enough research considering what happened to Mosney.

Should have spent that 200m on roller coasters instead. Not seeing much for their outlay.

1.11 to the pound on revolut , so a euro. £25.99 is E28.90, vs 29.99 on the menu. And that's just one item, doubt it's the only one, and doubt there'll be anything cheaper either.

If revolut will give me £1 for €1.11 I'll buy as many millions of £ that they will give me.

It will be a 1.3% immediate and Guaranteed profit which any currency trader would jump at.

I hope you don't equate .89p per €1 exchange to a €1.11/£1 exchange. And if so, I hope you're not an accountant 😂😂 😂

If revolut will give me £1 for €1.11 I'll buy as many millions of £ that they will give me.

It will be a 1.3% immediate and Guaranteed profit which any currency trader would jump at.

I hope you don't equate .89p per €1 exchange to a €1.11/£1 exchange. And if so, I hope you're not an accountant 😂😂 😂
    Off you go so, 100 GBP for 111.21

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Surprised Trabolgan is still going, although Cork has a lot more to offer then Longford

We have been to Trabolgan about 4 times in the last 7 years and are going again this year.

In all those visits we have not had to once leave the facility to find something to do, there has been loads on-site.

Trabolgan is the only holiday camp type place in Ireland.

It's a bit dated and full of skangers, and even though that has never bothered us we are happy that there is now a bit of choice available.

Off you go so, 100 GBP for 111.21

I don't think you understand currency.
    In your example you are buying eur with sterling. The official exchange is €1.1235
    Revolut are giving you €1.11

That's a profit for them of 1.235%

Now try putting €111 into the calculation and see if revolut will give you £100

If they do, I'll have few million.

Doh, tasty humble pie nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I priced 3 nights in August in centreparks for 2 adults and 2 children and was quoted €850!!! For 3 fücking nights!!!

I can safely say that we will NEVER visit the place. Such a friggen rip off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭facehugger99

In a way it's sort of great that certain people won't entertain going there.

One wonders if this is an element of the high pricing strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

One wonders if this is an element of the high pricing strategy.

It won't stop a certain cohort though, they have loadsa dough, and many are based in Longford. Wooooops.

But leaving that sarky comment of mine to one side, I think you may be right. Going to CP will be the cachet of the in crowd soon enough. What!, you can afford to go there.... and so on.

I priced 3 nights in August in centreparks for 2 adults and 2 children and was quoted €850!!! For 3 fücking nights!!!

280 or so a night in high season, a decent hotel would likely cost the guts of 200 a night for 2 + 2 in high season in Ireland.
    It’s expensive but I honestly don’t think it’s ridiculous. It’s not really competing with the Irish b&b market or the 2 weeks in Spain market. It’s looking for the family with a few quid market and I believe does a lot of corporate in low season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I dont think its compulsory to go and if the cost keeps the skangers out better still.
    Ibiza can have them

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Edgware wrote: »
    I dont think its compulsory to go and if the cost keeps the skangers out better still.
    Ibiza can have them

I'd imagine the belief is that the high cost will bring high class but that's not how the world works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

A strict no tattoo policy would guarantee my attendance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

vargoo wrote:
    I'd imagine the belief is that the high cost will bring high class but that's not how the world works.

I'm familiar with one local family shall we say of a certain Irish ethnic minority status, who are looking forward to their trip. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'm familiar with one local family shall we say of a certain Irish ethnic minority status, who are looking forward to their trip. ;-)

I hope it's full of them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

What an odd comment to make about a very significant investment in an area that's absolutely crying out for it.

Why the bitterness?

Good point, illegal to deny them entry and booze. Think of the claims if so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭enricoh

For a place that you are never, ever going to visit thanks for taking the time to look up their menu in Longford and the uk and working out the difference.
    There's a fella down my local who regales us with the price of drink in santa ponsa and tells the bar staff how much of a rip off the local is.
    We're hoping he moves there permanently after retirement!

Advertisement