Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Center Parcs Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭redlead

I really like the look of it and would love to go but the prices just look crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭facehugger99

One day a thread will be created that doesn't descend into the usual Traveller-bash froth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Mr.S wrote: »
    4,000+ bookings already is fairly impressive for something that hasn't opened yet tbh. I'd say it will do just fine.

The corporate market will lap it up as well.

Still kind of funny that it's Longford of all places though!

I'm not getting the corporate market interest? In what capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Hoboo wrote: »
    I'm not getting the corporate market interest? In what capacity?

Team building ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

One day a thread will be created that doesn't descend into the usual Traveller-bash froth.

Just shows how many do not want to encounter them anywhere ever. Surely?

• Advertisement

I hope it's full of them.

Would you like them next door to you at the moment? Be honest now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

redlead wrote: »
    I really like the look of it and would love to go but the prices just look crazy.

I had a quick scan through pricing a few days ago.

I don't think it's ever going to be in the bargain break territory but I did come across 4 day breaks for 2 staring at €299. Less than €40/night pps.

Team building ****e

I successfuly avoided EVERY team building cr@p event for years. But it's great craic for many. My heart sank every time I saw such and such event for a Team Building Event. Meh. I never had so many infections at the time. LOL.

Didn't do me any harm to avoid it in the end. Maybe they thought I wasn't a herd follower or something like that! Doesn't matter now... who cares. Do what you feel comfortable with.

But there certainly is pressure to partake in these idiotic corporate get togethers.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Graham wrote: »
    I had a quick scan through pricing a few days ago.

I don't think it's ever going to be in the bargain break territory but I did come across 4 day breaks for 2 staring at €299. Less than €40/night pps.

Say when otherwise you are just pissing people off!

Middle of the week, middle of winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Would you like them next door to you at the moment? Be honest now.

Like rats, they're never far.

Mod

Banned

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

vargoo wrote: »
    Say when otherwise you are just pissing people off!

Middle of the week, middle of winter.

Off-peak, can't say I memorised the specifics.

Safe to say you won't find many specials during the school holidays :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Looks very impressive. So have any boardsies booked a break in CenterParcs Longford for the opening season?

Looking for early reports back...
    I worked there during the construction so have a free stay there in July . Should be good but I couldn’t see myself paying normal charges being quoted

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It is pretty sad that posters feel the need to diss anything and everything, but alas that is AH... I would think CenterParcs Longford forest will be a big success.

Yes it's expensive, and riciculously so during school holidays, but as someone else opined people and especially families will go there for short breaks in addition to their main summer holiday.

Loving the poster's tongue in cheek comment that the transiton from Electric Picnic to Centre Parcs - EP to CP - is worthy of a David McWilliams article. The haunts of the late thirtysomething generation when not behind their desks in business parks or in their comuterland abodes...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I wonder will they employ peppy teenage staff, some of whom may want to blow their brains out after sufficient amount of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

ToddyDoody wrote:
    I wonder will they employ peppy teenage staff, some of whom may want to blow their brains out after sufficient amount of time.

90 per cent of the jobs are minimum wage but CP does not like to hire students so the peppy teenagers maybe absent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

Bypass, whatever.

So the by pass, that is a constant flow of traffic with never any traffic jams, you have a problem with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

Just looked at the price list/menus etc.. for this place. You have got to be kidding me it's Longford for christ sake??

This is absolute bs.. And what I love, Longford, along the Shannon is a postcard picturesque place, lovely villages and restaurants, its literally the best of the country, the hidden heartlands, and its ignored, more fool you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

bigpink wrote: »
    Well till they get first influx of travellers

There's enough of them in Longford already. And growing.

The negativity of so many posters to something that will be positive for probably one of the most under developed and forgotten about counties in Ireland is staggering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

kenmc wrote: »
    1.11 to the pound on revolut , so a euro. £25.99 is E28.90, vs 29.99 on the menu. And that's just one item, doubt it's the only one, and doubt there'll be anything cheaper either.

Vat on food here. None in UK that I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

meeeeh wrote: »
    That's not my point. My point is that sniggering about english breakfast in Sata Ponsa is a bit misplaced if you choose to holiday in an identikit holiday village. I have no objection to it but let's not pretend it's more worthy, explores Ireland and irish culture and similar nonsense.

Well, you’re not locked into it? I have been to a centerparcs , i assume it is the same model here.

This isn’t Kelly’s resort in the south east where it’s all Inclusive, eat your way through a week. You pay for food at centerparcs, and it is self catering, so you can leave the place and find more interesting places around in the evening after swimming or cycling all day if you like. Or use groceries, have picnics etc.

It’s an activity holiday, you can make it as locally interesting as you like, or hide out in it like a bunker. Once you tack All Inclusive on, what you say would make sense... because you are financially incentivized to stay put, but it’s not the case here. (Unless I missed something... it’s not is it?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

I seriously doubt people will leave the resort in evenings. We have no plan to anyway. The car free few days is part of attraction for me. I don’t think we will eat in restaurants much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

The problem being the majority of people who will holiday in CP won’t see anything of Longford only for the drive in and and out which is a pity , most will park the car up for the week and stay. The mentality being that they paid premium for the stay and why would they want to explore further afield. This is probably a huge opportunity for Longford to get tourists out and let visitors know what they can see outside the gates of CP, but you can be sure the owners of CP want people staying and spending.
    Does anyone know if it’s possible/allowed to get a weeks shopping delivered to the unit you are staying in? It would be a great idea for some local supermarkets to start offering this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

We’re booked in for Sept. Not my choice. Meeting with in-laws. We’ve looked into the ones over here before and they’re pricey too, decent for a good sized group with pets in tow. Anyway, I’m still struggling to look past the fact I’ve to fork out for a flight, rental car and the rest for a holiday in Longford (not that I’m expecting to see much of it) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

harr wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it’s possible/allowed to get a weeks shopping delivered to the unit you are staying in? It would be a great idea for some local supermarkets to start offering this service.

Morrisons has been trialling grocery delivery to Center Parcs in the U.K. this year so it’s definitely something they’re open to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

flas wrote: »
    So the by pass, that is a constant flow of traffic with never any traffic jams, you have a problem with that?

I've worked in Abbott's, so would be using that bypass at peak hours.. never much of a build up. 6 or 7 cars waiting their turn at the roundabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

i cant believe fellas are paying that much for a holiday in longford of all the places when you can go out foreign for the same price, fools and there money as the fella says

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

pwurple wrote: »
    Well, you’re not locked into it? I have been to a centerparcs , i assume it is the same model here.

This isn’t Kelly’s resort in the south east where it’s all Inclusive, eat your way through a week. You pay for food at centerparcs, and it is self catering, so you can leave the place and find more interesting places around in the evening after swimming or cycling all day if you like. Or use groceries, have picnics etc.

It’s an activity holiday, you can make it as locally interesting as you like, or hide out in it like a bunker. Once you tack All Inclusive on, what you say would make sense... because you are financially incentivized to stay put, but it’s not the case here. (Unless I missed something... it’s not is it?)

In other words exactly the same as most resorts in Spain or wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

i cant believe fellas are paying that much for a holiday in longford of all the places when you can go out foreign for the same price, fools and there money as the fella says

Are you jealous that it wasn't built in Tulsk or some other ****hole in your own county? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I don't know how I got pulled into this thread,

But 20 years ago, I'd have taken a sun holiday over center parcs.
    Now after been on enough sun/tourist holidays I prefer a little more nature, relaxation and chilling out. (I'm old 50+)

Currently I would despise any Cruise ship holiday. But in 15 years time, it might be something that I could like.

As for the Ep / Cp link. I'm doing both :)

In ep I have taken a luxury yurt and it's costing €1100 for the four nights (add tickets, food, drinks) - bloody expensive, especially as I have no interest in the main acts, but I reckon it will be worth it.

And likewise, a €500 all inclusive week in Spain would now be my idea of hell, and if offered it free, I'd decline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Center Parcs advertises itself as a middle class higher end product, hence the cost which keeps the riff raff out who anyway just want to spend less and go to the Med to spend most of their time in an 'Irish' bar.

We have a solid middle class who will lap this up. They'll be a continous motorcade of 4 x 4s leaving the leafier parts of the southside. Their first question will be 'Where's Longford?'

Advertisement