Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Center Parcs Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just looking at the numbers. They have 2,500 beds on site and if they are going to achieve 90% occupancy throughout the year then they need to sell 821,000 bed nights annually. By the last census there are circa 1.25m children in the country so allowing 2 kids per family there are 625,000 families of four in Ireland.

Its a healthy market to target initially but thereafter they really need heavy repeat business to sustain it imo. While some families will return three, four or even five times other families will only ever go the once. They will also need for families to be booking full week or longer stays rather than mini breaks of two or three nights. With uncertain weather people may be reluctant to book long stays but will go for short ones.

In the winter they will have corporate team building but thats a pretty competitive market in itself and also many companies tend not to go to the same place twice. Plus team building isnt going to involve week long stays, two nights would be more the norm. They are also unlikely to get much of a slice of the corporate conference market as 4 and 5 star hotels is what that sector demands.

I think it will be busy initially but achieving 90% occupancy seems ambitious to me. Ive no doubt they will have 100% occupancy from Easter to the end August every year. After that they need to sustain 80% or over throughout winter to achieve 90% overall annually. Its hard to see 2,000 odd people down there on a cold and windy Monday night in November but I suppose time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Osborne wrote: »
    https://employmentrightsireland.com/working-time-and-minimum-rest-periods-in-irish-employment/

Point (x) under the exceptions bit.

Edit: Sorry, I probably should have added context. In relation to your point about hours between shifts, many hospitality workers would be required to do 'late/earlies', i.e. finish at 23:00 and back in for 07:00 (approximately). Mostly front desk operatives in hotels.

Oh for sure, 9 years in front office, I did my fair share of late earlies, but fact is if you did an early after a late, your finish time is 3 ( if you get out at 5, then you are doing well) then you have at least 13 hours until your next start time (if on an early again) and 24 if you get out at 3, and do a late the next day.

I'm not saying hospitality is a deadly game, and places don't take the piss, I'm saying that its no worse than any other hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

Oh for sure, 9 years in front office, I did my fair share of late earlies, but fact is if you did an early after a late, your finish time is 3 ( if you get out at 5, then you are doing well) then you have at least 13 hours until your next start time (if on an early again) and 24 if you get out at 3, and do a late the next day.

I'm not saying hospitality is a deadly game, and places don't take the piss, I'm saying that its no worse than any other hotel.

Yep, agreed! Some Hotels (mostly independents) really do take liberties. I think CP will play things by the book and the fact it's such a big operation will hopefully mean the likes of the above won't happen too often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Graham wrote:
    It is perhaps unsurprising you missed other parts of the report.

What kind of a response is the above? Whatever your issue is please don't make unfounded assumptions about me. I referenced what the reporter stated in his report. If it bothers you make a compliant to RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just looking at the numbers. They have 2,500 beds on site and if they are going to achieve 90% occupancy throughout the year then they need to sell 821,000 bed nights annually. By the last census there are circa 1.25m children in the country so allowing 2 kids per family there are 625,000 families of four in Ireland.

Its a healthy market to target initially but thereafter they really need heavy repeat business to sustain it imo. While some families will return three, four or even five times other families will only ever go the once. They will also need for families to be booking full week or longer stays rather than mini breaks of two or three nights. With uncertain weather people may be reluctant to book long stays but will go for short ones.

In the winter they will have corporate team building but thats a pretty competitive market in itself and also many companies tend not to go to the same place twice. Plus team building isnt going to involve week long stays, two nights would be more the norm. They are also unlikely to get much of a slice of the corporate conference market as 4 and 5 star hotels is what that sector demands.

I think it will be busy initially but achieving 90% occupancy seems ambitious to me. Ive no doubt they will have 100% occupancy from Easter to the end August every year. After that they need to sustain 80% or over throughout winter to achieve 90% overall annually. Its hard to see 2,000 odd people down there on a cold and windy Monday night in November but I suppose time will tell.

They'll be looking to the UK market but yes, can't help but be skeptical that the numbers will keep up. Maybe if air travel and therefore the sun holiday becomes prohibitively expensive - but that's a way off. Otherwise this is weekend break market.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

What kind of a response is the above?

It's one that suggests the previous selective-recall post of yours is entirely in line with every other post you've made about Center Parcs.

I have yet to work out what your issue is with the venture.

€300,000,000+ invested
    around 1000 jobs created

In an area that's got SFA in the last decade.

Graham wrote:
    It's one that suggests the previous selective-recall post of yours is entirely in line with every other post you've made about Center Parcs.
    Again what BS is the above, I referenced a news report you don't like it take you issue to RTE.
    Graham wrote:
    I have yet to work out what your issue is with the venture.
    Other than ridiculous price gouging of the Irish market no issue at all. ;-)
    Graham wrote:
    €300,000,000+ invested around 1000 jobs created
    Yet unable to fill them all.
    Graham wrote:
    In an area that's got SFA in the last decade.
    And?

Ahhhh, I see. You're going to save the Irish population from overspending on their holidays. Fair play to you.

FYI, starts at around €50 night pps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

This Center Parks place looks good but it's no Kellerman's.....

Daytime, nighttime, any hour whether rain or shine, games and lectures, talks and music happily combine...

Join hands and hearts and voices
    Voices, hearts and hands
    At Kellerman's the friendships last long
    As the mountains stand

Graham wrote:
    Ahhhh, I see. You're going to save the Irish population from overspending on their holidays. Fair play to you.
    Childish response tbh
    Graham wrote:
    FYI, starts at around €50 night pps.

Depends on the time of the year but you know that. I can only assume you have a connection to the company or skin in the game considering your attitude.

• Advertisement

those giving out about CP's prices are not their target market.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

BarryD2 wrote: »
    They'll be looking to the UK market

I was over in London recently where they had an ad playing for the Irish Center Parcs before a kids film in the cinema. So safe to say they are targeting the UK.

I couldn't understand why you'd go through the hassle and expense of bringing your family over to Ireland just to go to Center Parcs.

Graham wrote:

Following up a childish response with an emojii, figures.

Effects wrote:
    I couldn't understand why you'd go through the hassle and expense of bringing your family over to Ireland just to go to Center Parcs.

Especially when the UK has several sites already, why bother with the hassle with airplanes etc when a motorway journey had you sorted.

Just came up on my FB newsfeed. CP is looking for an assistant manager/supervisor ( accommodation) at the princely sum of 24,000 per annum. 461 euro a week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Especially when the UK has several sites already, why bother with the hassle with airplanes etc when a motorway journey had you sorted.

Good few of my family members in the UK swear by Centre Parcs. They don't actually visit the ones in the UK though as the journey there is half the fun they reckon.

Not by plane though, they tend to drive to the sites in the Netherlands or on the continent, their kids seem to love it as well.

Quick ferry over and they'd be in Longford in about an hour from Dublin, traffic depending. They're planning on giving it a bash next year as they had already booked up this year though.

Will they make it part of a longer break Necro or is it literally ferry -> Center Parcs -> ferry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Late to the party on this thread, but have been to Center Parcs for 3 years on the spin in Cumbria. Absolutely love it. Perfect family holiday. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Have also done Haven holidays in the past which I enjoyed and were cheaper. Those were nice too but Center Parcs is just a better all around experience and my kids prefer it. Their experience is most important to me.

Necro wrote:
    Not by plane though, they tend to drive to the sites in the Netherlands or on the continent, their kids seem to love it as well.

My comment about the plane is in relation to comments here as to why CP is so attractive as a holiday, no hassle with children at the airport etc. Getting on a ferry for hours would seem even worse to me.
    Personally a ferry would be my idea of hell.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    Will they make it part of a longer break Necro or is it literally ferry -> Center Parcs -> ferry?

Probably be a week in CP then over to our neck of the woods in the west I'd imagine.

They usually visit here once or twice a year anyways so I expect them to give the Centre Parcs here a whirl. I'll probably go myself the same week as them next year assuming it suits tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

My comment about the plane is in relation to comments here as to why CP is so attractive as a holiday, no hassle with children at the airport etc. Getting on a ferry for hours would seem even worse to me.

Resort holidays are not my thing but the whinging and whinging and whinging about it getting seriously tedious. I think you won't be going there, I probably won't be going there but a whole lot of people will be going there and they will enjoy themselves. As will be many people happy to get work locally.

And considering the amount of locations they have it's likely they won't suddenly colapse when they open in Ireland.

Ferry is handy to get to central Europe though, you can drive on and drive off the other side, not as much hassle with young kids in particular.

Not for everyone I get that but I have some great memories of campsites similar to CP in France as a young lad. The journey by car and ferry was a great build for the excitement of the trip.

Necro wrote:
    Ferry is handy to get to central Europe though, you can drive on and drive off the other side, not as much hassle with young kids in particular.

I find it safer to fly and drive. Driving a RHD on the right to me is crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Just came up on my FB newsfeed. CP is looking for an assistant manager/supervisor ( accommodation) at the princely sum of 24,000 per annum. 461 euro a week.

When Neil was managing at Kellermans he was on more than that, but hey he was Max's grandson!

Hal3000 wrote:
    When Neil was managing at Kellermans he was on more than that, but hey he was Max's grandson!

Dollars dude, no good here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

BarryD2 wrote: »
    They'll be looking to the UK market but yes, can't help but be skeptical that the numbers will keep up. Maybe if air travel and therefore the sun holiday becomes prohibitively expensive - but that's a way off. Otherwise this is weekend break market.

Yeah I suppose they can easily target a lot of families in northern Ireland too but it seems a bit strange targeting the mainland UK market when there are already several CPs in the UK which would be more convenient to those customers. I'm sure some will make the long journey but I couldnt see it being masses of people rushing to Ireland to try a holiday that they have on their doorstep anyway without the need for ferries, passports, changing currency, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah I suppose they can easily target a lot of families in northern Ireland too but it seems a bit strange targeting the mainland UK market when there are already several CPs in the UK which would be more convenient to those customers. I'm sure some will make the long journey but I couldnt see it being masses of people rushing to Ireland to try a holiday that they have on their doorstep anyway without the need for ferries, passports, changing currency, etc.

I wonder how much of it is due to people wanting to say they "went abroad" for a "foreign" holiday.

No need for a passport to visit Ireland if you are a UK Citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

my3cents wrote: »
    I wonder how much of it is due to people wanting to say they "went abroad" for a "foreign" holiday.

No need for a passport to visit Ireland if you are a UK Citizen.

I would think it’s more directed at English people with Irish relatives or even bit of Irish heritage. Week in center parks and a few days with the relatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

vargoo wrote: »
    unless they force people, they've alot of 30 hour contracts spread over 5 days/unpaid breaks/pretty bad work conditions going by reviews of english set up.

Better off on dole.

Unpaid breaks are pretty much the norm in the private sector??

Where do you work?

Advertisement