Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Center Parcs Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Chet T16 wrote: »
    We just got back yesterday after a week there. Its probably worth booking anything you really want to do a few days in advance. It may just have been busy because it was the first week.

We went to centre parcs elvedon 2 years ago and loved it. Thats supposedly their best one in the UK. The Longford is equally as good but probably half the size. We had a great time and would definitely go back. I was expecting it to be a bit half arsed and disorganised but if it wasn't for the fact everything was so clean and new you'd think it had been running for years.

As a cheaper alternative we went to trabolgan last year - it was dreadful, we came home a day early because we hated it so much. I never classed myself as a snob until I seen the type of people that made up the majority of those there.

That's exactly the way I'd describe myself when I an in Trabolgan.

I'd say to myself "I'm not a snob but my God I'm a better class of person than some of the people here"

But the thing is the kids don't feel that way at all, they ignore all that, they are too young to understand all that.

They just have a fun time, every time.

Some day we hope to make it to CP, but it will take a bit of monetary planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

2k for a week in a kip in Longford - itself a kip, yeah right.

Boom really brings out the "more money than sense type" ..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The likes of Central parcs can be located anywhere, they are like mc donalds in that way, entirely corporate designed tourist - holiday experience

That's not meant to sound derogatory, it means Longford is as good a site as anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I was looking at it for the next trip back to Ireland, they seem to be doing well. There is nothing available mid-week for the few months I was checking at the start of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

jester77 wrote: »
    I was looking at it for the next trip back to Ireland, they seem to be doing well. There is nothing available mid-week for the few months I was checking at the start of next year.

Cripes! :eek: Looks like all the publicity must be paying off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

people seem to think that value midweek in November is great.

It will be pissing cold cold rain the whole week

are there any other weather proof activities it would be worth pulling your kids out of school for

And location matters, a lot of rain falls there, it's maybe not Galway bad, but its bad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,521 ✭✭✭This is it

Always great to see attractions like this, Tayto Park, etc. do well. The more choice we have the better, great for the local economies too

people seem to think that value midweek in November is great.

It will be pissing cold cold rain the whole week

are there any other weather proof activities it would be worth pulling your kids out of school for

And location matters, a lot of rain falls there, it's maybe not Galway bad, but its bad

If people were looking for sunshine, they wouldnt go there. Its nice to have obviously, but there are other factors to consider particularly with young children.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

When the children were small we could not afford to take them on a holiday abroad, but we had a few different holidays, I have heard children describe a camping holiday in Ireland as the best holiday they ever had. Don't put adult concerns on what people think children will enjoy.

I am sure center park is a fablous holiday but children are not missing out if you can't afford to take them there, that is an adult concern and way of looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭rn

Newcastle wood was quiet a lovely part of the "kip", so centreparcs got a great location. I'm not from Longford, but your choice of words is offensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,521 ✭✭✭This is it

rn wrote: »
    Newcastle wood was quiet a lovely part of the "kip", so centreparcs got a great location. I'm not from Longford, but your choice of words is offensive.

Deliberately so I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

rn wrote: »

I find €2300 for one week in a Butlins style holiday center offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Thos kind of reactions are silly if people are prepared to pay for it they let them at it. I have never been to center parks but by all accounts, they are fabulous and very upmarket. They have 90% occupancy in the ones in the UK year-round and that is impressive.

It will also have the added bonus of making other offerings in the family holiday market in Ireland better because they will have to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

mariaalice wrote: »
    When the children were small we could not afford to take them on a holiday abroad, but we had a few different holidays, I have heard children describe a camping holiday in Ireland as the best holiday they ever had. Don't put adult eyes and conserns on what people think children will enjoy.

I am sure center park is a fablous holiday but children are not missing out if you can't afford to take them there, that is an adult concern and way of looking at it.

I get what you mean but it takes a certain kind of person for a camping holiday. I'm aware that kids don't give a toss generally if it's camping and fishing, centre Parcs or Disneyland but like with most things family it's about the parent's standards.
    I know a few people that wouldn't be able to enjoy their holiday without being sheltered well from weather, having to share showers and toilets with many people or not sleeping in a normal bed.
    If you're into that, that's great (and I love me some camping) but the elephant in the room is that holidaying in Ireland is ridiculously expensive as is when you want a room with breakfast.

Anyway even though I couldn't pay Centre Parcs prices and probably wouldn't enjoy that kind of holiday I really hope they're doing well because it gives the area a huge opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Is it true that you can't find out the prices of the activities until you have booked accommodation?
    If so, that's extremely cynical and sneaky.

Other than that, I think it's great for the area and for tourism, in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Is it true that you can't find out the prices of the activities until you have booked accommodation?
    If so, that's extremely cynical and sneaky.

Other than that, I think it's great for the area and for tourism, in general.

Yep. You have to have an active booking before access to prices for add ons.

Grandeeod wrote: »

That's just wrong!

The prices for the add ons change depending on time of day, day of week etc - probably to manage demand. And they are not all available every day. Also, you are free not to buy any add-ons. We haven't yet. The only think we are considering is a spa session but hard to know when to time it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

fits wrote: »
    The prices for the add ons change depending on time of day, day of week etc - probably to manage demand. And they are not all available every day. Also, you are free not to buy any add-ons. We haven't yet. The only think we are considering is a spa session but hard to know when to time it for.

Skimming through this thread trying to read up on how the new Center Parcs is but seeing mostly arguments about cost etc.

How would you say the experience has been thus far in general? Am considering going in a couple months.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Like paying for the meal before ye know whats in it.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. But....
    What's stopping them from giving a price range?

Eg. Archery: €10 - €17 per hour depending on availability.

I think that there's only one reason why the prices are kept hidden until after a booking is made and it's a cynical one.

Monokne wrote: »
    Skimming through this thread trying to read up on how the new Center Parcs is but seeing mostly arguments about cost etc.

How would you say the experience has been thus far in general? Am considering going in a couple months.

Cheers

I havent been yet, going in September. Price was reasonable for us - 2 adults and 2 toddlers. Bringing our own bikes. Happy enough with the pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You're not winding anyone, you just look like you have no idea what you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 G Shock

In terms of affordability we would fall between Trabolgan and Centre parks. So it's neither for us.

Guess we'll just have to settle for golden white sands that meet the crystal clear turquoise waters of the Mediterranean sea in 30 degree heat on a little Greek Island.
    We'll endure and overcome...

How is it cheaper to fly to Greece? Genuine question - Im baffled. Anything I look at is at least 1000 for flights alone for the four of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I've been around the whole Irish tourist product thing for a few years now in terms of promotional work. Not going into detail about my job, but the Centre Parcs thing is the real deal if you have cash to splash or prefer an off season midweek deal. It is truly a remarkable site, but a cash builder if not planned and irrelevant if you have the dough. It really is a tale of two classes. Personally, I think it will survive, but mainly on the basis of wealthy folks that any downturn in the economy doesn't affect.

Ive seen two giant (I mean triple sized) billboards advertising Centre Parks located in both Ranelagh and Terenure which definitely suggests they are aiming at the top end of the market.

What the story with not knowing the prices of activities until after you booked? And can you get a refund then if you decide the price is too high? Seems really non transparent either way.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes but who on earth is going to go to somewhere like Centre Parcs and not do anything?

awec wrote: »
    Yes but who on earth is going to go to somewhere like Centre Parcs and not do anything?

Ehm us? We'll be happy with the pool and the playgrounds and pottering around on the bikes. But our lads are under 3 so cant do a lot of the activities anyway. the only thing I'd look at is the spa. I just checked there and a 3 hour session is 45-50 euro when we go.

I just looked at other prices. Laser combat is 20 per person for a 1 hr 15 min session. The junior captains adventure is 23.50 for 8-11 year olds.

A lot of the reviews caution against over booking activities, one a day being plenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 G Shock

How is it cheaper to fly to Greece? Genuine question - Im baffled. Anything I look at is at least 1000 for flights alone for the four of us.

So there's 10th July next year in cp for 2+2. 1 week. Coming back at €2087.

1000 for flights to Greece and 700 for a nice place to stay, to me, is so much more attractive and money better well spent.
    Look each to their own though...

• Advertisement

G Shock wrote: »
    So there's 10th July next year in cp for 2+2. 1 week. Coming back at €2087.

1000 for flights to Greece and 700 for a nice place to stay, to me, is so much more attractive and money better well spent.
    Look each to their own though...

Wouldnt you struggle to get flights to greece for 1000 on july 10th even?

Also accommodation for 700 - tis cheap enough Id want a personal recommendation before taking that risk (after flying all that way). Id say if we go abroad at all in next few years it would probably be camping in france and spain.

Advertisement