Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Center Parcs Experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

G Shock wrote: »

700 for a nice place to stay

define nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Activities aside, what do you have access to when you're just booking your accommodation and choose to not buy activities?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

Entry to the swimming pool and all its rides is included. There are paths through the forest, a lakeside beach, outdoor play areas.

Then there's a barbecue area outside your own lodge (we are going with friends) and general hanging out. Thats the plan anyway.

There are shops and restaurants to visit if you feel the need.

I think the pool will satisfy most of our activity needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

fits wrote: »
    Entry to the swimming pool and all its rides is included. There are paths through the forest, a lakeside beach, outdoor play areas.

Then there's a barbecue area outside your own lodge (we are going with friends) and general hanging out. Thats the plan anyway.

There are shops and restaurants to visit if you feel the need.

I think the pool will satisfy most of our activity needs.

It sounds like the pool is the biggest attraction, I watched some of the slides in other parks on you tube and they look excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

LirW wrote: »
    Activities aside, what do you have access to when you're just booking your accommodation and choose to not buy activities?

I thought the whole attraction of these places was that once inside, everything was included?
    I guess the holiday camp model has changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Cyrus wrote: »
    define nice?

Couple of years ago we rented two bedroom house with sitting room, small kitchen, two separate bedrooms, patio, washing machine, sun umbrella for the beach in Marina di Ragusa (Sicily) for 1000 Euro for 10 days. Flights were around 600. Place has lovely sandy beaches and decent enough restaurants and once you were able to cope with nobody speaking English, no onion rings in Italian restaurants and no fry up for breakfast it was very nice.

We tend to spend a bit on food when on holidays and we eat a lot in fish restaurants so it wouldn't necessarily end up being cheap holiday. However you can rent very nice self catering accommodation for 700 euro or so as long as you avoid resorts. For me it's no brainer because I'm not mad about resorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The price is aimed at keeping the Waynes and Sharons out. They'd prefer Benidorm or Lansarohie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 G Shock

define nice?

Type in Crete to booking.com for july 10th for a week. Lots of nice places for even less than 700.

I don't need 5 star, just somewhere clean, modern and close to the beach. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

meeeeh wrote: »
    define nice?

Couple of years ago we rented two bedroom house with sitting room, small kitchen, two separate bedrooms, patio, washing machine, sun umbrella for the beach in Marina di Ragusa (Sicily) for 1000 Euro for 10 days. Flights were around 600. Place has lovely sandy beaches and decent enough restaurants and once you were able to cope with nobody speaking English, no onion rings in Italian restaurants and no fry up for breakfast it was very nice.

We tend to spend a bit on food when on holidays and we eat a lot in fish restaurants so it wouldn't necessarily end up being cheap holiday. However you can rent very nice self catering accommodation for 700 euro or so as long as you avoid resorts. For me it's no brainer because I'm not mad about resorts.

That sounds really lovely and I was actually thinking of Sicily for next spring. It’s a very different holiday though. I can’t really imagine spending a week in centerparcs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

G Shock wrote: »
    Type in Crete to booking.com for july 10th for a week. Lots of nice places for even less than 700.

I don't need 5 star, just somewhere clean, modern and close to the beach. Job done.

Why do people continue to compare center parcs to a week in Crete or Sicily or benidorm.

I've double checked, it is NOT mandatory to go to center parcs.

If it's not for you, then that is fine. It certainly wouldn't have been for me 20 years ago, or even 10 years ago.

But now I like a few shorter breaks a year that a 10 day holiday somewhere.

Center parcs suits me. I can bring the dogs, herself can go to the spa, we can have a few drinks and walk "home", I can swim to my hearts content even in October and I can leave my house at 10am and be there at 11.30.

I might go once a year for mid week off season. Likewise I'll go to Donegal, Kerry and if I can, maybe Sicily. (love the place).

Each has it's market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

I saw these sample activity prices in the Irish independent recently.

https://m.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-talk/center-parcs-ireland-10-ways-to-save-money-at-longford-forest-38355477.html

1. Toddlers and Younger Kids
    Wizard Academy - €33 (three hours)
    Chocolate Chefs - €33 (three hours)
    Creche - €28 (three hours, 3-35 months)
    Soccer Play - €8 (45 minutes)

2. Children aged up to 11
    Cupcake making - €13.50 (45 minutes)
    Den building - €54 per plot (90 minutes)
    Face painting - €6 (10 minutes)
    Soccer coaching - €11.50-€15.50 (45 to 90 minutes)
    Aqua-jetting (8+) - €17 (30 minutes)
    Creepy Crawlies (3-7) - €8 (90 minutes)

3. Outdoor activities
    Adventure golf - from €6.75 (9 holes)
    Aerial adventure - €32
    Laser Combat - €20-€24 (75 minutes)
    Segway experience - €30 (45 minutes)
    Tennis courts - €11.25 (one hour)
    SUP tuition - €32 (one hour)
    Electric boat hire - €27 (30 minutes)

4. Aqua Sana Spa
    World of Spa - €42 (three hours)
    Express treatments - from €14
    Massages - from €57 (25 minutes)
    Manicures & pedicures - from €45 (55 minutes)
    Spa Day for two - €85pp (9am-6pm, Tues-Thurs)

Darc19 wrote: »
    Why do people continue to compare center parcs to a week in Crete or Sicily or benidorm.

I've double checked, it is NOT mandatory to go to center parcs.

If it's not for you, then that is fine. It certainly wouldn't have been for me 20 years ago, or even 10 years ago.

But now I like a few shorter breaks a year that a 10 day holiday somewhere.

Center parcs suits me. I can bring the dogs, herself can go to the spa, we can have a few drinks and walk "home", I can swim to my hearts content even in October and I can leave my house at 10am and be there at 11.30.

I might go once a year for mid week off season. Likewise I'll go to Donegal, Kerry and if I can, maybe Sicily. (love the place).

Each has it's market

There is nothing wrong with Centre Parcs. I have no desire to spend a week in any resort in Spain, Italy or Greece either but I wouldn't mind couple of days in Centre Parcs. But that's just personal preference. I was just pointing out that decent accommodation in sunny location can be found for 700 euros per week. (We went to Azores last year and stayed in 4 star hotel for about twice the price and it wasn't as nice accommodation . Azores are brilliant though. )

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I wonder if they will prevent local take aways from Ballymahon up the road from delivering into the site? I know they have an on site Indian delivery service, think the Indo said it is €18 for a meal for one person

• Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

As I alluded to earlier in the thread, Centre Parcs is aimed at a particular clientele and there is no getting away from that. There's also no harm in that either. It's no different to any top end hotel in Ireland or top end resort anywhere in the world as it's pitched at a certain price to a certain market. This is the reality. If you can easily afford it in holiday terms, try it out. If you have to sweat the savings plan, try somewhere else. Honestly. Just my opinion.

I worked on promotional/corporate material for the place and it is very clear what type of market they are in and chasing. No different to any expensive resort anywhere. Because of its "holiday camp" type nature, I guess lots of Irish people expect to be able to afford a holiday there to try it out and are shocked at the prices. But the prices are set at a point for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Theyre definitely targetting the upper third of the market. I wonder how does it compare price wise to some of the mega camp sites with kids activities in France?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I wonder if they will prevent local take aways from Ballymahon up the road from delivering into the site? I know they have an on site Indian delivery service, think the Indo said it is €18 for a meal for one person

I would think the deliveries wouldn’t be allowed onto the site as presumably it’s staff and patrons only.

salmocab wrote: »
    I would think the deliveries wouldn’t be allowed onto the site as presumably it’s staff and patrons only.

You wouldn't want to allow it anyway. There is always a chance of petty theft happening if the site is too open.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Friend went over wkend

Himself the missus and 2 kids 4 and 8

They rang me on way home

Said they were bored out of their heads after a few hours and ultimately regretted going

Kids were sorted in the pool for the most part

Food and drink offering very bland. “Like something from a Maldron hotel”

He said parts reminded him of an unfinished festival site that is just closed off to the general public. His wife in background of car said “a kip in other words”

I don't believe this one bit. I have yet to meet kids of that age who will get bored after a few hours in swimming pool and on some cool slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't believe this one bit. I have yet to meet kids of that age who will get bored after a few hours in swimming pool and on some cool slide.

As I say in my post above

The kids were happy with the pool

The parents were bored out of their heads on first night and regretted going.

Got it!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Got it!?

I find that a bit odd

As a parent I don't think I have ever been "bored out of my head" while on holidays with the kids while the kids are having a great time.

What exactly were they expecting ?

Got it!?

I do. And I'm almost positive you edited your post with the bit I was supposed to get and the Maldron bit.

It suits me right for not quoting the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Theyre definitely targetting the upper third of the market. I wonder how does it compare price wise to some of the mega camp sites with kids activities in France?
    I go to one most years near Gerona in Spain. Its a fantastic resort with proper cabins, multiple pools, loads of activities and night time entertainment. Usually costs around the 1800 mark for the eleven days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

If you bring your own bikes you can leave the site for a cycle
    You can cycle along the canal towpath west to the Shannon or east to Mullingar

There's one free activity
    And most people will go as self catering

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Up here now. Loving it. I have 2 kids 5 and 12 and they love the place. Swimming pool is fantastic, loads to do During the day. Rented bikes and we are all wore out from cycling.

We had 10 days in cambrills in Spain this year and the 12 year old says he prefers centre Parcs.

It is pricey and the activities can certainly add up. We have done all our own cooking so kept cost down there.

Place is spotless, accomadation top class and the staff are very friendly.

It's a great option to have in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Irishder wrote: »
    Up here now. Loving it. I have 2 kids 5 and 12 and they love the place. Swimming pool is fantastic, loads to do During the day. Rented bikes and we are all wore out from cycling.

We had 10 days in cambrills in Spain this year and the 12 year old says he prefers centre Parcs.

It is pricey and the activities can certainly add up. We have done all our own cooking so kept cost down there.

Good man. Hope it goes well for you and the many other visitors. Its not all about money.
    Spain etc might be cheaper financially but who needs all that airport security ****e and " did anyone pack your suitcase" bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭touts

We are in Center Parcs at the moment. Paid just over 1100 for a 4 bed lodge that sleeps 8 for 4 nights. Around what we paid for other 7 day holidays to sun destinations in the past where we spend one day travelling there and one day travelling back so basically end up with 5 actual day there much the same as CenterParcs.

Now as to the people here.. Are they (we) snobs? Well I would think they are ordinary hard working middle class people. Most of the cars in the carpark seem to be 3-4 year old family cars and basic SUVs. Nothing flashy and nothing trashy. More 152 Nissan Quasquai that 192 BMW 7 series or battered 09 Ford Transporter.

I'd say the vast majority of people here are Irish. There are quite a few from the North. There are also a few from England. I've also heard the same East European accents and languages you hear anywhere in modern Ireland. There are a few of Asian and African heritage but I would say not as many "new Irish as in modern Irish life. It does seem to be predominantly white Irish/English.

There is a distinct lack of people in the 20-30 age bracket. Most are children under 15 and parents in their 30s/40s

Most of the people are dressed casually but smartly. Shorts and tee-shirts are the norm when the sun is out. Trespass/Regatta type raincoats when needed. Haven't seen any adults wearing soccer/GAA shirts. Lots of kids wearing them though. Interestingly a few rugby raincoats so no doubt that will be all the evidence some people need to call for the place to be shut down.

Haven't seen men walking around in a string vest or topless except in the pool (and even then no string vests). Haven't seen women walking around the park in bikini tops and even in the pool area modest one pieces seem to be the norm. Lots of pale skinned people who will burn in the slightest sun and the few I've been talking to are all quite relieved to be on a holiday that it isn't 30+ degrees in baking sun.

There are not many tattoos and the few I've seen are the sort of "I'm on Holiday with the girls/boys let's be a little daring" ones lots of people get in their 20s but would never add to them now they are in their 30s/40s.

I have spoken to a teacher, one manager in a multinational company and one who does something in IT. But you don't tend to ask people what they do for a living when you are both standing on a platform trying to work out the best way across 20 ft of almost open space 50ft in the air.

There is a distinct lack of six packs and implants, fake tans and highlights. There are no contestants for Love Island around here. But that's not to say it's all slobs with bellies. There are quite a few who look like they may have played sport in the past and still keep reasonably in shape but now have better things to do than spend hours in the gym or maybe run once a week rather than once a day. The road around the lake has quite a few joggers early in the morning who look like they are collecting their thoughts and having some "me time" before a long day of activities with the kids.

There is a sports plaza that has a bar but it is the most sedate sports bar I have ever seen (even though it seems to have a TV for every table and the biggest giant screen I've seen outside of an actual stadium). I have yet to see anyone drunk in public.

People chat and laugh with each other on the activities. Everyone is extremely polite as they cycle and walk around. I haven't heard any shouting and roaring except from places like the zipwires and the laser combat area where it is fun shouting rather than, shall we say, know no better shouting. At night, after dark, you could be in a cabin in a wood by yourself.

Are they snobs for paying for a holiday in Longford. Well no. This place is worth every cent to be honest. You can see that almost quarter of a billion has been spent on it. The facilities, lodges and activities are all great. The weather was bad yesterday but all the activities were still able to go ahead so weather isn't really an issue.

The people here aren't conservative snobs. Haven spoken to a few at activities and around the park most say that they did the sun holiday and find this much more enjoyable at this stage in life. I suspect most people here have done the beach holiday in their 20s with as much sun, parties, drink, parties, nightclubs, parties, sex, parties, etc as anyone else from any other "class". But not everyone enjoys those sorts of breaks. We all did them in our 20s. I know myself and my wife both did a few sun holidays in our youth that we would now have no interest in. I see the same look in lots of faces around the park. Been there, done that, this is far more my type of holiday now.

And do you know what? That's not to tar all middle class parents with the same brush. There are probably plenty of people around the park tonight who would still prefer a sun holiday but marriage and a few kids kind of limit the enjoyment from a holiday full of drink, sun stroke, nightclubs and casual sex. Life moves you on wether you like it or not. You would prefer to be in sunny Ibitza but you settle for cloudy Longford because the activities and climate may not be what you long for but they are far more suitable to your 9 year old.

You don't have to be a snob to holiday in CenterParcs. It is hugely enjoyable if that is what you want and is the stage of life you are at. If you don't want to go to the sun but are afraid the begrudgers will say you are some sort of middle class snob well I'd say feck the begrudgers. As word gets out about this place people will realise it is a good place for families and is actually every bit as good value as a sun holiday. It just depends what you enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭rn

There's a significant number of "boring", young family, relatively cash rich, middle class people in the country who work hard 48 weeks of the year and whose taxes pay for every public service we have.

The pre packaged, hasstle free and high quality experience will appeal to a large proportion of those people. The question is have we enough of a population to sustain such a business model? Time will tell.

I think the one thing Irish people are atrocious at is calculating real cost v benefit. Just look at the amount of Irish people who pay a higher upfront cost for a diesel car, just to have cheaper fuel and car tax but then don't do milage to make up that cost difference.

I saw one example of someone compared price of a camp site in Europe, where they brought own caravan /camper. They only extracted cost of berthing against cost in centreparc. No mention of the significant upfront capital cost of their caravan/camper, which depreciates over a number of years and some significant portion should be factored into the cost of holiday. Indeed it also should be pointed out temporary accommodation like that, can't compare to comfort offered by a permanent built structure.

Often we also only look at flights + accommodation. However cost of time + other hidden costs of travel are never mentioned. Eg long term parking, travel transfer costs, cost of time researching all aspects of holiday, cost of travel insurance. It takes guts of a day to travel to south eastern Europe and a day back, door to door. It takes about max 2.5 hours to get to Longford, door to door.

I don't think it's fair to compare on price alone. You have to look at value from the different offerings out there and chose the best one you can for your own situation.

I should add I'm in the target market and can afford it - but I also feel it's not for my family on our own. I'm getting it hard to see the value. We prefer self catering near an unspoilt beach in West of Ireland. Wouldn't rule out going with friends family for short trip sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dw2016

Irishder wrote: »

that's good to hear! just a quick question, do you need to book the activities in advance? would the evening before do as the Irish weather isn't the most reliable for the outdoor ones. thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

touts wrote: »
    We are in Center Parcs at the moment. Paid just over 1100 for a 4 bed lodge that sleeps 8 for 4 nights. Around what we paid for other 7 day holidays to sun destinations in the past where we spend one day travelling there and one day travelling back so basically end up with 5 actual day there much the same as CenterParcs.

Now as to the people here.. Are they (we) snobs? Well I would think they are ordinary hard working middle class people. Most of the cars in the carpark seem to be 3-4 year old family cars and basic SUVs. Nothing flashy and nothing trashy. More 152 Nissan Quasquai that 192 BMW 7 series or battered 09 Ford Transporter.

I'd say the vast majority of people here are Irish. There are quite a few from the North. There are also a few from England. I've also heard the same East European accents and languages you hear anywhere in modern Ireland. There are a few of Asian and African heritage but I would say not as many "new Irish as in modern Irish life. It does seem to be predominantly white Irish/English.

There is a distinct lack of people in the 20-30 age bracket. Most are children under 15 and parents in their 30s/40s

Most of the people are dressed casually but smartly. Shorts and tee-shirts are the norm when the sun is out. Trespass/Regatta type raincoats when needed. Haven't seen any adults wearing soccer/GAA shirts. Lots of kids wearing them though. Interestingly a few rugby raincoats so no doubt that will be all the evidence some people need to call for the place to be shut down.

Haven't seen men walking around in a string vest or topless except in the pool (and even then no string vests). Haven't seen women walking around the park in bikini tops and even in the pool area modest one pieces seem to be the norm. Lots of pale skinned people who will burn in the slightest sun and the few I've been talking to are all quite relieved to be on a holiday that it isn't 30+ degrees in baking sun.

There are not many tattoos and the few I've seen are the sort of "I'm on Holiday with the girls/boys let's be a little daring" ones lots of people get in their 20s but would never add to them now they are in their 30s/40s.

I have spoken to a teacher, one manager in a multinational company and one who does something in IT. But you don't tend to ask people what they do for a living when you are both standing on a platform trying to work out the best way across 20 ft of almost open space 50ft in the air.

There is a distinct lack of six packs and implants, fake tans and highlights. There are no contestants for Love Island around here. But that's not to say it's all slobs with bellies. There are quite a few who look like they may have played sport in the past and still keep reasonably in shape but now have better things to do than spend hours in the gym or maybe run once a week rather than once a day. The road around the lake has quite a few joggers early in the morning who look like they are collecting their thoughts and having some "me time" before a long day of activities with the kids.

There is a sports plaza that has a bar but it is the most sedate sports bar I have ever seen (even though it seems to have a TV for every table and the biggest giant screen I've seen outside of an actual stadium). I have yet to see anyone drunk in public.

People chat and laugh with each other on the activities. Everyone is extremely polite as they cycle and walk around. I haven't heard any shouting and roaring except from places like the zipwires and the laser combat area where it is fun shouting rather than, shall we say, know no better shouting. At night, after dark, you could be in a cabin in a wood by yourself.

Are they snobs for paying for a holiday in Longford. Well no. This place is worth every cent to be honest. You can see that almost quarter of a billion has been spent on it. The facilities, lodges and activities are all great. The weather was bad yesterday but all the activities were still able to go ahead so weather isn't really an issue.

The people here aren't conservative snobs. Haven spoken to a few at activities and around the park most say that they did the sun holiday and find this much more enjoyable at this stage in life. I suspect most people here have done the beach holiday in their 20s with as much sun, parties, drink, parties, nightclubs, parties, sex, parties, etc as anyone else from any other "class". But not everyone enjoys those sorts of breaks. We all did them in our 20s. I know myself and my wife both did a few sun holidays in our youth that we would now have no interest in. I see the same look in lots of faces around the park. Been there, done that, this is far more my type of holiday now.

And do you know what? That's not to tar all middle class parents with the same brush. There are probably plenty of people around the park tonight who would still prefer a sun holiday but marriage and a few kids kind of limit the enjoyment from a holiday full of drink, sun stroke, nightclubs and casual sex. Life moves you on wether you like it or not. You would prefer to be in sunny Ibitza but you settle for cloudy Longford because the activities and climate may not be what you long for but they are far more suitable to your 9 year old.

You don't have to be a snob to holiday in CenterParcs. It is hugely enjoyable if that is what you want and is the stage of life you are at. If you don't want to go to the sun but are afraid the begrudgers will say you are some sort of middle class snob well I'd say feck the begrudgers. As word gets out about this place people will realise it is a good place for families and is actually every bit as good value as a sun holiday. It just depends what you enjoy.

This reads like a Ross O Carroll Kelly piece.

Advertisement