Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut

Options
  • 27-12-2018 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I would like to use my Revolut bank account to pay my Electric Ireland direct debit but because the IBAN starts with a GB, I'm getting an error message which says that the IBAN is invalid.

Now I know that it starts with a GB (and not IE) but Revolut says that it is a valid Euro account. 

Any ideas as to how I can get this to work would be very much appreciated.

All the best. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

fgoulding wrote: »
    Hi,

I would like to use my Revolut bank account to pay my Electric Ireland direct debit but because the IBAN starts with a GB, I'm getting an error message which says that the IBAN is invalid.

Now I know that it starts with a GB (and not IE) but Revolut says that it is a valid Euro account. 

All the best. 

Ask them to send you a paper direct debit mandate and notify them that they're in breach of article 9 of EU directive No 260/2012 if they refuse to accept your IBAN details.

The reason why they don't is usually because of a technical hiccup on their end. Most IT systems still work off the old account and sort code system and simply convert Irish IBANs into the account and sort code. Obviously it can't do that for an overseas IBAN.

The way around this is for them to send you out a paper mandate form for you to fill out

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fgoulding

troyzer wrote: »
    Hi,

All the best. 

Ask them to send you a paper direct debit mandate and notify them that they're in breach of article 9 of EU directive No 260/2012 if they refuse to accept your IBAN details.

The reason why they don't is usually because of a technical hiccup on their end. Most IT systems still work off the old account and sort code system and simply convert Irish IBANs into the account and sort code. Obviously it can't do that for an overseas IBAN.

The way around this is for them to send you out a paper mandate form for you to fill out
    Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

troyzer wrote: »
    Hi,

All the best. 

Thanks for the info!

No problem. I constantly have this issue.

Give the Central Bank and CCPC a ring if you're worried.

If they're being difficult, ask them to explain in writing that they can't accept your IBAN. You'll need this if you want to take it further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi fgoulding,

The online direct debit form is for Republic of Ireland bank accounts only, however there is a link to the direct debit mandate for non Republic of Ireland bank accounts towards the end of the following page. Just print this off and post it to the address included on it when completed.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

Is it possible for someone to lodge money into my Revolut account from a normal current account?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 361 Verified rep Electric Ireland: Aoife

Hi GypsyByName, 

Thank you for getting in touch. 

We are unable to answer any queries regarding your Revolut account. 

If you have an Electric Ireland query, we would be happy to help.

Kind regards, 
    Aoife

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Is it possible for someone to lodge money into my Revolut account from a normal current account?
    GypsyByName, you can ask about Revolut in the thread for it here. Thanks. 

Advertisement