Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice

• 27-12-2018 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭

I didn't get replies on the mortgage thread so I'll try here instead.

Firstly, don't shoot me down - am looking to inform myself.

I'm living at home and feel that it's time to get my own place. I come from a farming background so know that I have a site to build on. I have contacted my bank but didn't have my salary certificate at the time. Some background information: I'm a teacher on a fixed term contract for half hours and have the remainder made up of part time hours (these won't show on my salary certificate) meaning the 3.5 my salary won't get me much despite being on nearly a full salary. The other hours show up as 'substitute' which I was told could cause a problem. I have no loans and no erratic spending. I have been employed in substitute positions for the last number of years so I have a deposit saved. I was told that each mortgage would be case by case basis and the most I could probably secure is €150,000 - what kind of house can be built for that?

I have only tried my own bank but intend to contact a broker and another bank. Was looking at the rebuilding Ireland website and it looks the better option for me - are there disadvantages to this scheme? If a bank offers me €150000 does that rule me out of this scheme even if the house will cost more?

I don't know if I'm mad to even think that I can build a house but if I'm doing it- want to do it once as it will be my place for the rest of my days. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭airportgirl83

Maybe have a look at passive prefab houses e.g.

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I was looking at the Scandinavian company - have you any experience with this company or any of the above for that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭airportgirl83

I was looking at the Scandinavian company - have you any experience with this company or any of the above for that matter?

Not yet, we are currently looking into this ourselves and researching different companies. Engineered timber is our preferred method.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Recommendations by PM please.

FYI OP, there are forums for construction and planning and construction prices that you may find of use.

Graham wrote: »
    Mod Note

Recommendations by PM please.

FYI OP, there are forums for construction and planning and construction prices that you may find of use.

Thanks for that - didn't want to post the same thing in both fora in case of breaking infringements- will put it in prices forum.

• Advertisement

It’s probably not necessary for you to repost. Your questions (or close enough) have been asked umpteen times. Search is your friend.

Graham wrote: »
    It’s probably not necessary for you to repost. Your questions (or close enough) have been asked umpteen times. Search is your friend.

Have tried that - nothing recent.

Don’t try and find answers to 3 questions all at once.

Read the applying for a mortgage thread, the rebuilding Ireland thread and the gazillion building on a budget threads.

Advertisement