Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

22 syrian families arrive in ireland, then what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

You’re coming across like you have a lot of internalized racism

what pray tell is internalised racism?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

ansolutely not. You’re living with your fella, beating the **** out of you, you’ve nothing. You’re off to a refuge, they’ll get you set up with hap, who will cover about 1/2 your rent. You’re not rushed into a council house passed everyone else on the list

Ah stop now shoesday, you're speaking to someone who's actually experienced this, you've admitted that you were wrong in saying you couldn't get a barring order and you were wrong in saying that they weren't given priority on the housing list and weren't given extra HAP? And yet you weren't wrong?

You're making yourself look foolish now. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Try_harder wrote: »
    what pray tell is internalised racism?
    does google not work on your street no? Sounds like it’s even more like beruit than I initially thought

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 255 ✭✭PuppyMcPupFace

BBFAN wrote: »
    Ah stop now shoesday, you're speaking to someone who's actually experienced this, you've admitted that you were wrong in saying you couldn't get a barring order and you were wrong in saying that they weren't given priority on the housing list and weren't given extra HAP? And yet you weren't wrong?

Maybe he didn't want you to be alone ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You’re coming across like you have a lot of internalized racism

This thread certainly rubbed a few people up the wrong way :P

BBFAN wrote: »

They can’t get a barring order in every single case?? I didn’t admit I was wrong. Your situation isn’t the same for every other person who finds themselves in an abusive situation. They’re not given priority on being handed a council house. They’re given hap and can be given an additional 20% of the rate they’re entitled to, but if there is nothing available or they can’t find anywhere to live, they’re not prioritized. They’ll be moved into a women’s refuge. They will still have to wait on a council list like everyone else on it.

They can’t get a barring order in every single case?? I didn’t admit I was wrong. Your situation isn’t the same for every other person who finds themselves in an abusive situation. They’re not given priority on being handed a council house. They’re given hap and can be given an additional 20% of the rate they’re entitled to, but if there is nothing available or they can’t find anywhere to live, they’re not prioritized. They’ll be moved into a women’s refuge. They will still have to wait on a council list like everyone else on it.

That's all true - the friend's daughter is a social worker dealing with the iffier cases. We should be opening these hotels for the needy of our own country, not strapping lads who blagged their way here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I don't mind the refugees coming to Ireland, but certain criteria should be in place.
    They should have to integrate, this isn't happening, both with refugees, but with other eastern European cultures that arrived during the boom. Only shop in their shops, they go home for dental treatment, scans, and work, yes, work.
    They should not get priority on housing lists, medical lists or otherwise.
    I live near a facility that holds asylum seekers etc. Their
    kids go to school with mine, the majority are Muslim.
    Kids Xmas concert this year, Little Donkey not allowed, a parent complained about Bethlehem being in it. In fact no religious songs allowed at all, in a Catholic primary school.
    The 3 little pigs are not allowed as a story to junior infants, a Muslim family complained as they consider the pig to be dirty and should not beat the wolf.

We are bending over too much for foreign visitors.
    You live in Rome, you do as the Romans do....
    If I go to a foreign country I have to abide to their beliefs and traditions and culture, same should apply when people visit/live here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

20k were is that figure from???

Apologies its 25k potential jihadis in the uk. More enrichment than i thought!

UK home to up to 25,000 Islamist extremists who could pose threat, EU ...
    https://www.independent.co.uk › ...
    ttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news

• Advertisement

I know the street you’re talking about. It’s a quiet street.

its grim
    Pobal HP Description 2016 disadvantaged
    Age dependency ratio (%) 30.61
    Lone parent ratio (%) 28
    Prop. primary education only (%) 29
    Prop. third level education (%) 18.68
    Prop. local authority rented (%) 18.58
    Unemployment rate - male (%) 27.27
    Unemployment rate - female (%) 15.58

2019 wrote: »
    These are people in desperate need of help. I welcome my government for letting them in. Forget about the politics of this situation and think about the human need. Their country has been devastated by war and its these people , the innocent that is suffering. It wasnt that to long ago us Irish needed help from the international community.

"Us Irish" were never given free housing, food and heating when we migrated abroad. We had to work hard, keep our heads down and adopt the ways of the new countries.

airy fairy wrote: »
    Kids Xmas concert this year, Little Donkey not allowed, a parent complained about Bethlehem being in it. In fact no religious songs allowed at all, in a Catholic primary school.
    The 3 little pigs are not allowed as a story to junior infants, a Muslim family complained as they consider the pig to be dirty and should not beat the wolf.

If any of that is true it is absolutely not right. I don't give a rats about religion myself but doing nativity plays etc is just part of growing up. I'd argue it's transcended religion in a sense and is a cultural norm. Shame, if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

A miserly 22. And someone lights a post to incite.

If in 20 years time, you are a Syrian refugee and have managed to survive and stay in Ireland, despite the rampant racism, I am ashamed of the the hatred that I have read here and elsewhere for that matter.

For what it's worth they do NOT speak on my behalf.

"Us Irish" were never given free housing, food and heating when we migrated abroad. We had to work hard, keep our heads down and adopt the ways of the new countries.

We were never Refugees from war, only some NI nationalists were in 70's & 80's, and they were given State Aid in the Republic

I really wish seances were real - I'd love to make my relatives who emigrated after the Famine piss themselves laughing at how "great" they had it when they arrived elsewhere to be given houses, clothes, money and didn't have to work.

• Advertisement

Plenty of Irish in UK social housing too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

jmreire wrote: »
    As I have said earlier, most will return home when the conditions are right. .....
    How can you state this with such certainty? Also can I ask about your statements that all the Syrian families come from Lebanese camps and the vetting procedures, is this information in the public domain?

jmreire wrote: »
    When it was first agreed that Ireland would take their quota of 4'000 Syrian Refugees, there were a lot of questions asked, especially if they would be turning up ad-hoc, like in Germany and other EU Countries, but we were assured that all the refugees Ireland would be getting would be from Refugee camp's only, and thoroughly vetted before hand. This was one of the reasons that we are getting them in batches ( bear in mind that Germany etc, have taken more than a million in this time frame ) You can check this out on Google.
    As for them returning to Syria? Yes I believe that the majority will do so. They had a pretty good life there before the war, and for sure, would like to go back. I have some Syrian friends, and that's what they tell me anyway, but I can well believe it. A lot of them are finding Life very hard in Germany..while they don't have to worry about bombs falling and bullets flying, for them it's an unimaginable life-change, culture + language etc. Syrian Families are very close knit, but the present circumstances mean that they are being split up.

Ah ok, so your seemingly concrete statements were based on promises/assurances given prior to this relocation program rather than any detailed knowledge of the ongoing vetting procedures. I mistakenly got the impression from your post that you had some insider knowledge or something

As for the second part of your reply concerning them returning to Syria, it's clear now that this is simply your opinion and not based on some analytical data for example. As those who do not think correctly on here are constantly informed by those who do, personal experiences, anecdotal evidence etc. are not admissible round these parts. I have no reason to doubt what you have stated about your friends etc. but if such an anecdote was relayed by a poster 'on the other side' it would be treated with disdain and dismissed

We were never Refugees from war, only some NI nationalists were in 70's & 80's, and they were given State Aid in the Republic

And if you believe every skanger trying to blag a free life from us is "fleeing war" you need a dose of reality.

Ok so then you agree the comparison to Irish migration is perhaps a fallacy then and not comparing apples with apples. I look forward to that argument being dropped by the pro open borders crowd.

And if you believe every skanger trying to blag a free life from us is "fleeing war" you need a dose of reality.

I am referring to the 22 Syrian Families as per the thread title.

• Advertisement

Ok so then you agree the comparison to Irish migration is perhaps a fallacy then and not comparing apples with apples. I look forward to that argument being dropped by the pro open borders crowd.

I'm talking about Syrian Refugees here.

I am referring to the 22 Syrian Families as per the thread title.

Yeah sure, they're all legit. My hole.

Plenty of Irish in UK social housing too

Legal immigrants. Paid for easily by other legal Irish immigrants working hard in the UK.

The Irish were by and large economic migrants, the much maligned grouping of this parish...

Legal immigrants. Paid for easily by other legal Irish immigrants working hard in the UK.

Why are they legal? The UK does not recognise Ireland as a separate country as per the Ireland act.

Immigrants in Ireland contribute far more to the economy than they take out, but you already knew that!

That's all true - the friend's daughter is a social worker dealing with the iffier cases. We should be opening these hotels for the needy of our own country, not strapping lads who blagged their way here

The needy in our country are already living in hotels though?

Yeah sure, they're all legit. My hole.

how many 21, 20, 19...

where is your evidence they are not? If the state accepts them as refugees, then they are legal, its quite simple

Why are they legal? The UK does not recognise Ireland as a separate country as per the Ireland act.

Immigrants in Ireland contribute far more to the economy than they take out, but you already knew that!

Horse manure. The UK doesn't recognise Ireland as a separate country?

What are the stats on illegal immigrants net contribution to the economy?

The strapping lads can stay with me!

The UK does not recognise Ireland as a separate country as per the Ireland act.

Hold up...

• Advertisement

See The Ireland Act

I don't mind the refugees coming to Ireland, but certain criteria should be in place.
    They should have to integrate, this isn't happening, both with refugees, but with other eastern European cultures that arrived during the boom. Only shop in their shops, they go home for dental treatment, scans, and work, yes, work.

If I go to a foreign country I have to abide to their beliefs and traditions and culture, same should apply when people visit/live here.
    One of my closest friends is Muslim. I met her last week for lunch and she had to pop into boots. She spoke to the pharmacist and as we were leaving he called out “happy uh holidays” and she turned around and said “happy Christmas!” Back to him. :D

A lot of immigrants are happy enough to intergrate and I love that. But I agree, our culture shouldn’t be the culture that needs to change to accommodate people coming to this country. If they find Christmas offensive then don’t move to a country who starts preparing for it in September

Omackeral wrote: »
    Hold up...

It doesn't.

Any data on that? Immigrants contributing more, in ireland?

Republic of Ireland not a foreign country.

It is hereby declared that, notwithstanding that the Republic of Ireland is not part of His Majesty’s dominions, the Republic of Ireland is not a foreign country for the purposes of any law in force in any part of the United Kingdom or in any colony, protectorate or United Kingdom trust territory, whether by virtue of a rule of law or of an Act of Parliament or any other enactment or instrument whatsoever, whether passed or made before or after the passing of this Act, and references in any Act of Parliament, other enactment or instrument whatsoever, whether passed or made before or after the passing of this Act, to foreigners, aliens, foreign countries, and foreign or foreign-built ships or aircraft shall be construed accordingly.

how many 21, 20, 19...

where is your evidence they are not? If the state accepts them as refugees, then they are legal, its quite simple

You're a naive self hating idiot and I'm over trying to talk to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭airy fairy

How about the last lot of young boys or men that were brought here last year, costing a few million every year.
    Some of them didn't have birth certs, and from the look at pictures at the time, they certainly weren't in their teens when they claimed to be.
    Are we still leaving in people with lost birth certs and passports?

How about the last lot of young boys or men that were brought here last year, costing a few million every year.
    Some of them didn't have birth certs, and from the look at pictures at the time, they certainly weren't in their teens when they claimed to be.

and data on that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Ultimately, as long as they contribute to society by getting jobs and behaving in a decent manner, then I don't mind them coming here and moving in permanently. But the thing is, you don't know what side of their personalities has changed after being in a war torn country, and that negative side may show up here and be introduced to our societies...If I was living in a war torn country with bullets flying past my ass for years I would probably develop a nasty side to. We would translate that here as a bad thing. Maybe I am wrong, I don't know.

They say these Syrian refugees have been filtered and are genuine but who knows for sure, there is an element of risk taking in these people, look what happened in France... Some of the "genuine" refugees went on a killing spree. Not saying that will happen here but who knows ? Do you know for sure? Of course you don't. You are taking one man away from his home after he was subject to a war zone for years and everything that comes with that, these situations can have great effects on peoples personalities and you don't know their level of intent or what they considered doing before they come here. Did they consider joining one of those head chopping off groups so they could feed their families ? You don't know and they certainly wont admit to that when it comes to an application to come here. Just saying..... It's not all buttercups and smiles when there is RISK in the equation.

You're a naive self hating idiot and I'm over trying to talk to you.

Good I don't like talking to xenophobes!

Yes and there are people on here thinking it's so wonderful.

Look at the migrants bring picked up by the free taxi service in the English Channel - how long before they're over here ? Unchecked, unvetted and planning God knows what.

I knew it! This real life account happened across the water in the UK.

The-spoof-Facebook-post-created-by-Micky-Williams.jpg

Ultimately, as long as they contribute to society by getting jobs and behaving in a decent manner, then I don't mind them coming here and moving in permanently. But the thing is, you don't know what side of their personalities has changed after being in a war torn country, and that negative side may show up here and be introduced to our societies...If I was living in a war torn country with bullets flying past my ass for years I would probably develop a nasty side to. We would translate that here as a bad thing. Maybe I am wrong, I don't know.

They say these Syrian refugees have been filtered and are genuine but who knows for sure, there is an element of risk taking in these people, look what happened in France... Some of the "genuine" refugees went on a killing spree. Not saying that will happen here but who knows ? Do you know for sure? Of course you don't. You are taking one man away from his home after he was subject to a war zone for years and everything that comes with that, these situations can have great effects on peoples personalities and you don't know their level of intent or what they considered doing before they come here. Did they consider joining one of those head chopping off groups so they could feed their families ? You don't know and they certainly wont admit to that when it comes to an application to come here. Just saying..... It's not all buttercups and smiles when there is RISK in the equation.

men by and large commit rape, should we have a society without men, due to that RISK?

Same BS logic

Good I don't like taking to xenophobes!

Nobody’s asking you to take him on a public thread

• Advertisement

love spoof facebook - winds up the gammons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

that's all the school's fault. they would have made those decisians. did the other parents object to the school removing religious songs from the school play, or removing 3 little pigs as a story?

are you sure about that?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

I hope this is a taking the piss post?

Dont see anything there to say they contribute more than they take, iirc ireland is one of the few exceptions to the rule in that they don't.

love spoof facebook - winds up the gammons!

Not a bit of a racially charged term?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement