Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky took money from my bank account when I didn't have enough money, what'll happen?

• 28-12-2018 7:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I have a student account with Permanent TSB, I paid with my Visa debit card. Sky took money from my account when I didn't have enough to cover the amount. Sky's website shows the bill has been payed in full. Will I get charged interest?

I heard that is the case, around 30%.

BTW here is my story: I looked at my Sky bill online and it said the latest bill was from the "25 Dec-24 Jan". I am confused by this since I thought that would be for my TV bill from the 25th of December to 24th of January, yet for some baffling reason it's only for my TV up until the 24th of December, Sky only takes the money out of my account between the 25th of December and 24th of January.

Anyway, late last night I saw I still had money left in my account so I thought Sky weren't going to charge me. I looked at my previous Sky bill off "25 Nov-24 Dec" and it showed it was paid off, so I assumed that was my TV bill from within that time period paid off. However I got charged the full amount very early this morning but like above, it appears the "25 Nov-24 Dec" is only the time period when the TV payment for my bill "25 Oct-24 Nov" will be taken out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭Trampas

I assume your account will go into overdraft and bank will charge you a fee for that more than likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Your bill should be coming out on the same date each month (unless falling around bank Holidays).

The time period you have is the period you are being billed for - I'm pretty sure Sky charge a month in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I take it that your Sky bill is normally paid by Direct Debit but you also manually paid the bill with you Visa Debit Card. You could ask your bank to carry out a charge back of the amount paid via your Debit Card.

You should never make a manual payment where DD payment arrangements are in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I have a student account with Permanent TSB, I paid with my Visa debit card. Sky took money from my account when I didn't have enough to cover the amount. Sky's website shows the bill has been payed in full. Will I get charged interest?

The period December 25 to 27 (Tuesday to Thursday) were bank Holidays, so no direct debit were processed in that period.

Unless for lodged funds to cover it, you will be charged a fee, plus interest for the overdraft.

You need to talk to Sky, the monthly direct debit is automated, so do not assume they will skip next months because to paid twice this month.

Perhaps the suggestion of a chargeback might cause more harm than good. Sky might get annoyed and confused.

Advertisement