Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformer explosion NYC

Options
  • 28-12-2018 12:15pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A large transformer explosion in New York left a lot if Newyorkers baffled about the "a sort of unnatural, fluorescent shade of blue"

Large transformers like this generate huge volumes of combustible gases before and during explosion, I'd say the blue flame was caused by the incomplete combustion of these gases.

I'd be very interested in any technical information that comes into the public foray if anyone happens upon it.

28xp-explosion-sub-jumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp

Article NY Times

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Looks more like arcing rather than an explosion. There was no fire according to FDNY on Twitter so its my guess it was a sustained flashover not cleared quickly enough by the protection relays or it could have been a disconnect failure during operating. For example if the disconnect was being opened and stopped midway for some reason it would produce a sustained arc until the Busbar Protection operated clearing the fault

Advertisement