Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will new mortgage rates be announced.

• 28-12-2018 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Hi

I’m just wondering is there a usual set time at the start of the year when banks announce new rates or is it just random?
    I’m thinking of switching to a fixed rate at a different bank but don’t want to do it just yet in case of a potential rate drop happening soon. (I’m aware that it could be a rate increase!)

Thanks

Tommy

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Hi

I’m just wondering is there a usual set time at the start of the year when banks announce new rates or is it just random?
    I’m thinking of switching to a fixed rate at a different bank but don’t want to do it just yet in case of a potential rate drop happening soon. (I’m aware that it could be a rate increase!)

Thanks

Tommy

Im with aib and its completely random. Rates were reduced 5 times in 3 years, but the last reduction was sept/nov 2017

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Banks don't change their rates at the beginning of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

It's basically random

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

It's basically random

Not quite, if the ECB rates change or competitors rates change then there will be a greater chance for a rate change.

Interest rates can always go up, especially with Brexit looming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

GingerLily wrote: »
    Not quite, if the ECB rates change or competitors rates change then there will be a greater chance for a rate change.

What? Please explain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Thanks guys.
    I guess I’ll just have to suck it and see. I’ll wait a few more months and see what the lay of the land is then.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Thanks guys.
    I guess I’ll just have to suck it and see. I’ll wait a few more months and see what the lay of the land is then.

Looking at the price of futures today, the market doesn't think we will see an interest rate drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

GingerLily wrote: »

True, but these things are essentially unpredictable by the average punter, is what I really meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

True, but these things are essentially unpredictable by the average punter, is what I really meant.

Fair enough but once one bank brings them up the rest may follow, and it might be too late to get in on lower rates!

Advertisement