Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sram etap

Options
  • 28-12-2018 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

Looking to upgrade the group set in my TT bike to sram etap or di2 depending on what is easiest or most practical way of doing it.

At the moment I have mechanical shifting. 10 speed sram TT shifters with sram rear deraileur. Quarq cranks with shimano rings. Sram cassette 10 speed which will need to go if 11 speed shifters are used.

Question is if I bought the 11 speed shifters front and rear deraileurs and 11 speed casette is that all I need?

I would get 10 speed etap if available? but 11 probably be the way to go.

Also am I correct in saying the etap requires no cables only the components pair amongst themselves to operate? Correct me if I'm wrong here or if anyone has useful information please let me know

Can etap be fitted to any bike?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Etap is only 11 speed and there would only be old versions of di2 available in 10 speed.

For a TT groupset etap isn't entirely wireless. The clicks or blips at the end of your bars are wired to a shift unit called a blip box which is big enough. This then sends the signal wirelessly to the derailleurs. On the road groupset the shifters themselves house the wireless unit so you don't have the blip box.

With di2 the shifters are wired to a junction box that's then wired to the derailleurs and battery. If the bike is fully internally routed you won't see much difference between them.

I've used both and they are both good. On a road bike I'd go for etap but on a TT bike the decision isn't as clear cut. Price them up, etap usually comes shift set only so only derailleurs, clicks and blip box were you can get the full ultegra di2 groupset including cranks and brakes for a bit more.

11 speed could work with a 10 speed crankset but you will need an 11 speed cassette. You can use any brand cassette you want, they all work with each other, so you can use a Shimano cassette with etap and the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

joey100 wrote: »
    Etap is only 11 speed and there would only be old versions of di2 available in 10 speed.

For a TT groupset etap isn't entirely wireless. The clicks or blips at the end of your bars are wired to a shift unit called a blip box which is big enough. This then sends the signal wirelessly to the derailleurs. On the road groupset the shifters themselves house the wireless unit so you don't have the blip box.

With di2 the shifters are wired to a junction box that's then wired to the derailleurs and battery. If the bike is fully internally routed you won't see much difference between them.

I've used both and they are both good. On a road bike I'd go for etap but on a TT bike the decision isn't as clear cut. Price them up, etap usually comes shift set only so only derailleurs, clicks and blip box were you can get the full ultegra di2 groupset including cranks and brakes for a bit more.

11 speed could work with a 10 speed crankset but you will need an 11 speed cassette. You can use any brand cassette you want, they all work with each other, so you can use a Shimano cassette with etap and the other way around.

Excellent Joey sound for the info. Would it be worth looking at 10 speed di2? Just would like to have smooth shifting just trying to see what's the best solution. TT bike is external cables at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I know around the start of di2 they changed the cables so some of the older 10 speed di2 stuff won't work with newer cables. I'm not sure of the model numbers tho. But if you could get the stuff that worked with the newer stuff it might be worth it, if it were me I'd be looking for 11 speed though. Would need to make sure your wheels could take An 11 speed cassette too or it could get even more expensive. But if the bike has external cabling I'd say etap would be worth it.

It's worth saying tho that while both are nice, they won't make you any faster either. If you want smooth shifting new cables in what you have might work too.

I know around the start of di2 they changed the cables so some of the older 10 speed di2 stuff won't work with newer cables. I'm not sure of the model numbers tho. But if you could get the stuff that worked with the newer stuff it might be worth it, if it were me I'd be looking for 11 speed though. Would need to make sure your wheels could take An 11 speed cassette too or it could get even more expensive. But if the bike has external cabling I'd say etap would be worth it.

It's worth saying tho that while both are nice, they won't make you any faster either. If you want smooth shifting new cables in what you have might work too.

No worries. Yeah the wheels are 11 speed hubs compatible so I'm OK there. I have a shimano 6800 rings on quarq power meter. Think I have a shimano chain and sram cassette and rear derailleur. Shimano 6800 series front derailer. My plan was to go 11 speed and get the etap shifters etap front and rear derailer and if that's all I needed I go with that. Maybe I need other components? Someone might be able to tell me. Is it hard to install?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It's worth saying tho that while both are nice, they won't make you any faster either.

That's what jumps out at me too. Lovely gear but a lot of beans for no TT time gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

fat bloke wrote: »
    That's what jumps out at me too. Lovely gear but a lot of beans for no TT time gain.

Now look here, you have to stop talking like that.
    If this attitude were to gain support, we'd all be riding around on Shimano Tiagra.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Now look here, you have to stop talking like that.
    If this attitude were to gain support, we'd all be riding around on Shimano Tiagra.

Sorry, sorry, obviously I omitted the word "marginal". Which of course justifies any level of expense! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

fat bloke wrote: »

Ah the electronic shifting is class in fairness, I'd love to have it. You might not gain time from it intrinsically, but the placebo effect could come into play.

OP, I see you got married recently from a thread over on another board, perhaps you were lucky enough to get a voucher etc. from a cyclist minded guest? :)

skallywag wrote: »
    Ah the electronic shifting is class in fairness, I'd love to have it. You might not gain time from it intrinsically, but the placebo effect could come into play.

OP, I see you got married recently from a thread over on another board, perhaps you were lucky enough to get a voucher etc. from a cyclist minded guest? :)

Thanks. I had no cyclists at my wedding unfortunately 😞😞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

skallywag wrote: »
    You might not gain time from it intrinsically, but the placebo effect could come into play

Let me guess, triathlete? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement